SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm reading Larry Correia's first Grimnoir book, Hard Magic.

I just finished the first Gray Man book, and wanted something more light-hearted.
I really enjoyed the Monster Hunter series-I think I've read all the ones written by Larry Correia, and got a kick out of the Memoir books basically written by John Ringo.
As you probably know, Correia is a certified gun nut. He has a book coming out in January, In Defense of the Second Amendment.
So he's one of us, even more so.

I’m about 30% through Hard Magic and loving it!
John Browning and Black Jack Pershing are in it.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My latest book is The Art of Thinking Clearly - Rolf Dobelli. A definite must-read. This should be required reading for senior high school students.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
An older one, but right now, Baldacci's The Camel Club.

There are 5.5 books (one is a "novella") in the Camel Club series, and they are all good.

I look forward to the others.

I just started James Grippando's Pardon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 6guns,

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I just started James Grippando's Pardon

Another good author. I have read all of his to date.

A few other not-so-well-known authors that are also good:

Christopher Reich

Robert Crais

Ace Atkins (He took over Robert Parker's Spenser series after Parker passed, and he has the characters (Spenser and Hawk, especially) nailed to a T. His other novels, set in Mississippi, are also very good).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a good Western movie, but I never had any interest in reading novels set in the old west. I was cleaning out a closet and came across a book I read at least 15 years ago. It was written by Louis L'Amour. The vast majority of his books are set in the old west, but this one was set in the present day. It's title is LAST OF THE BREED. I read a few pages and I was hooked. It pulled me right in and I read it a second time after reading it at least 15 years ago. It's about an Air Force pilot of mostly American Indian ancestry who winds up getting shot down and captured over the USSR. The book chronicles his escape and travels through the vast Siberian wilderness following the path of his ancestors overland to the Bering Straight and across the sea to Alaska. Excellent read.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Surrender by Hiroo Onoda. The author was a Japanese officer in the Philippines in WWII. He Got there in 1944 and fought until 1974.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I get my newly released novels a bit late because of the library's waiting list. I just finished Daniel Silva's latest, Portrait of an Unknown Woman, and have started David Baldacci's latest, The 6:20 Man. Silva's depicts Gabriel Allon on his first "adventure" after retiring as Director of the "Office". Balcacci's is a stand-alone novel, not one of his character series.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Just finished "The New Tsar: The Rise and Reign of Vladimir Putin" by Steven Myers. Written in 2015 just after the annexation of Crimea.

Good backgrounder for the Ukraine goings-on.

Starting "The Signal and the Noise" next.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Gregory Hays translation of Meditations, Marcus Aurelius, the philosopher and emperor of Rome. He offers insights and advice on everything from living in the world to coping with adversity and interacting with others.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
I enjoy a good Western movie, but I never had any interest in reading novels set in the old west. I was cleaning out a closet and came across a book I read at least 15 years ago. It was written by Louis L'Amour. The vast majority of his books are set in the old west, but this one was set in the present day. It's title is LAST OF THE BREED. I read a few pages and I was hooked. It pulled me right in and I read it a second time after reading it at least 15 years ago. It's about an Air Force pilot of mostly American Indian ancestry who winds up getting shot down and captured over the USSR. The book chronicles his escape and travels through the vast Siberian wilderness following the path of his ancestors overland to the Bering Straight and across the sea to Alaska. Excellent read.

I read that, too. Very good book.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished Kristi Noem's book Not My First Rodeo.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Survival of The Fastest by Randy Lanier, a great read.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Finished Buffalo Wagons, Elmer Kelton. A unique Western novel about an expedition of buffalo hide hunters who, seeing the northern herds pretty well played out, venture south across the Red River into Comanche territory seeking the wealth promised by the almost untouched southern herd. Imaginative writing and a great story.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Czech writer, Milan Kundera, about two women, two men and a dog in the time of The Prague Spring, and the Warsaw Pact Invasion of 1968. It’s a really different kind of novel for me, but intriguing and I’m entertained by it.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm reading the second in a series by Brendan DuBois called Black Tide. The first is titled Dead Sand. They are part of the Lewis Cole series. Lewis was a think tank guy in the DOD until his crew was mistakenly killed by a toxic spray in an experiment while his team was on a yearly training exercise. Now he lives on the coast of New Hampshire "working" as a writer for a coastal magazine. His background and investigating personality gets him involved in various criminal investigations. Pretty good stuff.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished 1066 and Before All That, which was excellent.

Started The Neighborhood by Matthew Bentley.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Blood and Treasure - Daniel Boone and the Fight for America's First Frontier". This was very good, I've read other books by Tom Clavin and Bob Drury and will read more.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Finished Babylon's Ashes earlier this month.
That's books 1-6 of The Expanse in about 3 months.

About to start boxing up all the books in anticipation of the impending move.
Once that's sorted, going to try to pick up the last 3 Expanse books & the novella compilation.

Picked up Memory's Legion a couple weeks ago. Need to dig into it.
Currently re-watching The Expanse & am almost done with S3.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We subscribe to "Cowboys and Indians" magazine, it's basically an advertisement with some good stories. I saw a book mentioned in it, had to do with Texas, Oklahoma in the late 1800s, early 1900s. "Black Gun, Silver Star" is about the life of a former slave, Bass Reeves, who becomes a highly decorated Deputy US Marshal. I liked the book, though it was boring in parts, chronicling too many of his 3000 arrests. He was lost to history for over 50 years and now seems to be getting recognition, there is a movie based on him, "Corsicana", that I haven't watched, yet.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I bought a two-book C.J. Box release at Costco. I’m reading Back of Beyond, and I’m pretty well finished with it. I’ve only read 2 or 3 C.J. Box books because there’s always one or two things that I view as inexcusable mistakes; this book is no exception. I’ll give you one example. This book takes place in the backcountry of YNP. A retired, very experienced outfitter takes a cop out there. The outfitter carries a .44 mag revolver “for bears.” He loads it with “hollow points.” No, you wouldn’t, and about 2 minutes of Google-Fu would disclose that fact that nobody in their right mind fires hollow points at a grizzly. The outfitter goes so far as to warn the cop not to shoot at a bear with his SIG in .40. Oh well, the story is interesting enough and I guess Box has bought himself a Wyoming ranch with the money he’s made on his writing, so I’m sure he doesn’t care what I think.