SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I just started Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr . I haven't decided yet what I think. His All The Light We Cannot See is excellent , so I have high hopes. I've also read his short stories and he has become a favorite.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Finished two this week. First was "Talking to the Ground" by Douglas Preston, he's written quite a few novels and some nonfiction. This was written in 1992 when he, his fiancé and her daughter rode horses, 1000 miles, across the Navajo Reservation. I good tale interspersed with Navajo history.

I've read most Nelson DeMille's books, some are good, some not so much. His latest is "The Maze", another John Corey novel. It was just OK, I won't be recommending it. Way too much BS leading up to the ending, which was pretty easy to see coming.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Robin Cook has written a number of mystery books with the main characters being forensic pathologists. Think Quincy. Very entertaining and Cook is an MD himself. I just finished book 6 in the series.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My latest read was "Treasure State" by CJ Box. This isn't a Joe Pickett novel but the latest from the Cassie Dewell series. It was pretty good, took no time to read it. He keeps bringing back characters from earlier books, including April Pickett in this one. Fun read.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Currently I'm reading Jimmy Doolittle's autobigraphy, and a sequel to Micheal Crichton's 'Andromeda Strain'.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Just finishing up "The Story of English" and in parallel, re-reading the Man-Kzin War anthology (situated in Niven's "Known Space" world.)

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Just finishing up "The Story of English"

Do you know if the BBC series is available to watch?

ETA: I guess the answer is out there, but I’ll leave this post in case others might be interested in waching this. It looks like the series is available on IMDb, which is now called “Freevee.” I’ll confirm later today.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

I don't know. Saw it back in the day, and was impressed, so if it's out there, it'd be worth the watch.

I got the book from my late mother-in-law as a gift, as we were both fond of etymology, wordplay, and other language-oriented stuff.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Just started Horus Rising, which is Book 1 of the Horus Heresy series of Warhammer 40k novels.

I never got into Warhammer 40k, but I like military sci-fi, and a couple of my friends have been bugging me to give this series a try. Reportedly, it's a solid military sci-fi read, even if you don't get all the 40k references.

Apparently, there's like 50+ related novels, anthologies, novellas, and short stories in the Horus Heresy series, though not all of them are required reading for the main plot. So I'm going to give the initial novel or initial semi-self-contained trilogy of novels a shot, and decide from there whether I'm interested in delving deeper into the broader series.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Just finished Alive, the 1972 story of the survivors of a plane crash in the Andes. I picked it up at a local library discard sale. Turns out my copy is a First Edition. Good story, got a little tedious but all in all a good read.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Currently I'm reading Jimmy Doolittle's autobigraphy, and a sequel to Micheal Crichton's 'Andromeda Strain'.

Andromeda Evolution was very good

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

I don't know. Saw it back in the day, and was impressed, so if it's out there, it'd be worth the watch.

I got the book from my late mother-in-law as a gift, as we were both fond of etymology, wordplay, and other language-oriented stuff.

Found it on YT

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently: "Smiley's People" - John Le Carre
On deck: "Long Shadows" - David Baldacci

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Life on the Mississippi" by Rinker Buck. This is a great read about taking a 4 month trip from PA to New Orleans on a flatboat. Really the best part is the history told here, I'd guess most of us will learn a lot. I loved his "Oregon Trail" and this ranks right up there.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I finally got (from my Library's waiting list) the latest Jack Reacher novel, No Plan B. Started it yesterday.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Finished Brave New World, Aldous Huxley. A novel about a dystopian society, also by an English writer, that predates Orwell’s 1984 by 17 years. Glad I read it, but it was just aww-iight.

Reading Dumas’ The Count of Monte Cristo, right now. An old friend wrote the screenplay for the movie remake of “The Count,” Jim Caviezel in the title role. He died this past year so I rewatched the movie and felt like reading the original novel (albeit translated from French) as well. It’s a great book, and a darn good movie too.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I finished Baldacci's final Camel Club book. Since that one was written in 2010, I suspect there will be no more from that group of spies.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Reading 1984. Wow, Orwell was amazingly prescient.

The writing is very good, but it's really hard to read due to it being so depressing.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Re-reading after about 25 years Shadow and Claw. It's a good as I remember.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"By Water Beneath the Walls, the Rise of the Navy Seals". Excellent research and well written.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
"The Extraordinary Life Of An ordinary Man"
A Memoir by Paul Newman.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post