SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Recently read "The Spy and the Traitor" by Ben Macintyre, very interesting true story of Cold War spying.

Also, just finished the latest Longmire book, "Daughter of the Morning Star". Entertaining, as usual.

I've been reading the curated series "The Best American Mystery Stories of 20--". Each year is chosen by a different author, some very good writing.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
"Better Off Dead", the new Reacher book.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I am re-reading the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius and I'm re-reading "Shogun".

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Found and finished The First Team and am part way through Blind Man's Bluff.

Going to get the second First Team book along with Sunburst which is a history of IJN aviation.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hazardous Duty: An American Soldier in the Twentieth Century" by MG John Singlaub.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just finished Michael Connelly's latest, The Dark Hours, a Renee Ballard w/Harry Bosch book (Ballard book 4, Bosch book 23). Also John Grisham's latest, The Judge's List, Lacy Stoltz book 2. Both went fast, good reads.

In between new releases, re-reading Jack Carr's James Reece series, and Stephen Cannell's books.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I just finished Daniel Silva's latest Gabriel Allon story (The Order). Before that the 2nd in the James Reece series by Jack Carr. I've got a selection of stuff sitting on the shelf - Brad Thor / Scot Harvath, Kyle Mills / Mitch Rapp, some Tom Clancy, some Clive Cussler - decisions, decisions.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
After reading the favorable reviews of "The Night Manager" series on Amazon Prime, I decided to start with the book, which I just started last night.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I just finished Daniel Silva's latest Gabriel Allon story (The Order).

FYI, there's a newer Allon novel out - "The Cellist". I just requested it from the library.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
After reading the favorable reviews of "The Night Manager" series on Amazon Prime, I decided to start with the book, which I just started last night.

I'll have to add that one to my list.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The Chamber by John Grisham

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Re-reading some old favorites by Stephen Hunter. Just finished Point of Impact and gonna start on Dirty White Boys today.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'll start Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp #3) by Vince Flynn, today.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
I’m a devoted fan of CJ Box (Joe Pickett),Micheal Connelly (Harry Bosch & Renee Ballard), Paul Doiron (Mike Bowditch) and Craig Johnson (Walt Longmire).

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

Posts: 785 | Registered: October 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I've recent begun reading The Afghanistan Papers: A Secret History of the War by Craig Whitlock.

Much of the material is sourced from FOIA requests so there are many direct quotes from various decision makers at different levels of the government, military and business communities among others.

It's quite depressing to see how ill-informed many top policy makers were and how often they appeared to be totally uninterested in becoming more informed prior to making decisions with major life or death implications as well as staggering financial burdens for the American taxpayer.

Even in the early chapters, this book seems eerily similar to The Pentagon Papers.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midway through the Travis McGee series by John D. McDonald. This is my third time and they seem to get better each time.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I just finished Daniel Silva's latest Gabriel Allon story (The Order). Before that the 2nd in the James Reece series by Jack Carr. I've got a selection of stuff sitting on the shelf - Brad Thor / Scot Harvath, Kyle Mills / Mitch Rapp, some Tom Clancy, some Clive Cussler - decisions, decisions.

I've read all of Silva's books. But I won't read another. I am tired of his leftist propagandizing. One of his real life heroes and friends is Paul Krugman. His last book in particular was extremely leftist leaning and anti-Christian in my opinion. In his eyes, only liberals can save the world. The plot of the Order sucked! Never again will I read another book of Silva's.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read all of Silva's books. But I won't read another. I am tired of his leftist propagandizing. One of his real life heroes and friends is Paul Krugman. His last book in particular was extremely leftist leaning and anti-Christian in my opinion. In his eyes, only liberals can save the world. The plot of the Order sucked! Never again will I read another book of Silva's.

That's essentially what I posted after reading The Order.

I've been reading the Innocents at War series by Andrew Wareham. A six-book series about the Royal Flying Corps in WW I. Most interesting for me is the descriptions of the aircraft and the extremely rapid evolution of aviation and air combat techniques month by month.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've just started reading What Really Happened in Wuhan by Sharri Markson, an Aussie.

The main premise is that the Covid-19 virus escaped from the Wuhan Virology Institute where they were doing gain-of-function research.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post