SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Who’s the best “band” you ever saw live? The death of original Lynyrd Skynyrd band member, Gary Rossington, got me to thinking about this question. I’ve seen a lot of live music—for a lot of years. The first major concert I saw was the band, Chicago, when Terry Kath was still alive. The last band I saw live was Whiskey Myers, and I really think they’re the best to come along in the last 30 years (at least).

Who do I think was the best? It comes down to two: The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor, or the original Lynyrd Skynyrd band. Today, I’m leaning toward Skynyrd. They were incredible, and I saw them in a 250 seat concert bar.

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
My favorite live band was Rush. Cool

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1898 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Probably Sammy Hagar.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16250 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My two favorite concerts, which is kinds of what you're asking, it's a toss up. But the thing they have in common is I had incredibly close center stage seats. Both fifth row. I think this proximity had a LOT do with how great the shows were to me.

Jeff Beck at the Chicago Theater

Jethro Tull acoustic show at The Vic in Chicago.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38580 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Texas Aggie band at half time.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3806 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.
Joni Mitchell was the opener that night.

PC

Posts: 1329 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
My two favorite concerts, which is kinds of what you're asking, it's a toss up. But the thing they have in common is I had incredibly close center stage seats. Both fifth row. I think this proximity had a LOT do with how great the shows were to me.

Jeff Beck at the Chicago Theater

Jethro Tull acoustic show at The Vic in Chicago.

Two great concerts, I’m sure. I’m really not asking for favorite concerts, I’m after bands with identifiable members, rather than single front liners with hired guns for a tour. I don’t believe Jeff Beck is a “band,” and the same is true of Sammy Hagar above, although I guess he formed a couple bands after Van Halen.

Posts: 13154 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've seen three really great shows. By far Rush leads. I've seen them 4 times. But, Prince and the Police were really good too.

Posts: 7497 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
"Best Band" can mean many things. Confused

Probably Fleetwood Mac (in 80's when we saw them).
Or Steely Dan ~ my favorite band is up there too and have seen them many times.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Seen Yes at least three times, so I’m gonna go with them. RIP Chris Squire and Alan White… Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Who’s the best “band” you ever saw live

Yes they were! Razz

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Rush. Saw them on their R40 tour. The three of them played from 7:45 PM to 12:30 AM with no opening band. The thing is they went through their careers from newest to oldest while their stage crew recreated their sets through their career. The "encor" was a CGI background of a high school gym while they "introduced" themselves with "Working Man."

Posts: 4118 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Who’s the best “band” you ever saw live

Yes they were! Razz

I get it now. Yeah, I saw The Who, touring Who’s Next, they were great, but had those two bands above ranked ahead.

posted Hide Post
Rush

Posts: 103 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
All the Rush nominations. I thought of your favorite movie.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Foo Fighters put on an awesome show
But, I've seen Ben Folds [solo and iterations of the group] 6 times. Very different type of show to the Foo, but all of them were great.

ETA: Also saw the Temptations in HS, around 2002.
I think there was only 1 original member then, but it was a fun show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much every show I have been to has been an epic experience but Ramstein put on the best show.

Primus was pretty amazing as well.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Rush fan, seen them at least 10 times, actually worked at their "Moving Pictures" show at the Seattle Center Coliseum in the summer of 81. They played 2 nights in a row.

That said, I saw Robert Cray play at a small bar in Va Beach back in the 80's, BB King popped in and played with him, holy crap what a show!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6187 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Seen Yes at least three times, so I’m gonna go with them. RIP Chris Squire and Alan White… Frown

With ya, though I think it was four or five times for me. A favorite band. In fact my first concert ever, the Relayer tour, Boston Garden, Dec. 11, 1975.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38580 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The WHO. Saw them on their first US tour in, believe it or not, Jackson, MS. Treated to the music and then the whole destruction thing.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20294 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post