SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I think of a band as being more than 4-5 people. …
That’s an unusual conclusion. I consider a band anything other than a solo act.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

By that standard, then, ZZTop wouldn't be considered a band....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
I saw the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas show a few years back. Great concert.

I saw the Stray Cats back in the 80's at W&M hall, that was a fantastic show even from the cheap seats,

I saw them once back then at a small club. It was a fun show. It was a dance club, and there wasn't even really a stage - they just came out and played, kind of in the middle of everyone. Probably '82 or '83

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

By that standard, then, ZZTop wouldn't be considered a band....

Or Rush, or Metallica. Et al.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

IMO, a band is a group of musicians that started their band from the beginnings, signed a recording contract together and share royalties, collaborate and perform in the recording process, and the same people go on the road to play for audiences. The Beatles, ZZ Top, The Police, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, are perfect examples. Obviously Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan, Jeff Beck, Steely Dan, Elton John, are not; they use hired musicians and sometimes hired songwriters.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Cowboy Mouth. Small band with a devoted following, but their energy is incredible. Their lead singer is their drummer, and they always put on a hell of a show. I haven't seen them in years, but when I was in college I tried to catch them whenever they were within a couple of hours.

Guns and Roses- saw them in 2017. Wasn't sure what I was going to get, given their age and time away from performing. They blew me away. The show started at 7, they didn't have an opening act and started right on time. They sounded as good as they ever have, and played nonstop until well after midnight. I've been to plenty of shows where the act phoned it in for an hour or so and called it quits, but GnR rocked hard and kept the energy up the entire time.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
It have to be Ten Years After.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

IMO, a band is a group of musicians that started their band from the beginnings, signed a recording contract together and share royalties, collaborate and perform in the recording process, and the same people go on the road to play for audiences. The Beatles, ZZ Top, The Police, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen, are perfect examples. Obviously Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan, Jeff Beck, Steely Dan, Elton John, are not; they use hired musicians and sometimes hired songwriters.

There we go. Smile

posted Hide Post
The Band. Then CCR and followed by Charlie Daniels band.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Whiskey Myers

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
In a small venue, combo theater and bar- Stevie Ray Vaughan. He played a 30 or so minute rendition of Hendrix's "Third Stone from The Sun" that was probably the greatest guitar work I ever seen or heard.

In a large setting, indoor coliseum, definitely ZZ Top. They just played with so much energy.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Tesla. Great band who was so good I don't even remember who they were opening for.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Pink Floyd- The Wall was an amazing show.

More recently - Allman Brothers Band.

Currently- Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
My favorite live band was Rush. Cool

Me too. First saw the Permanent Waves tour in Fort Worth, TX. 2Feb1980. Then Moving Pictures at Dallas Conv. Center 10Apr81.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pink Floyd pushes Rush into second place for me. I did see Rob Zombie one time and I was surprised, he killed it.

Posts: 951 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say Pink Floyd in Detroit in I believe was summer '75. Also saw BTO in Sept 74, not that they were great but Bob Segar was the warmup.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love live music, and I have been fortunate to see a lot of great bands, but if I have to pick one above all......

Pink Floyd, Division Bell tour 1994.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
My best: MOTOWN REVIEW up at LA Coliseum.
The Temptations, 4 Tops, Mary Wells, Mary Wilson of Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, Gladys Knight (no PIPS), The Ronettes, The Stylistics and The Delphonics.
If I recall correctly.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Kenny Chesney.
Due to a mix up and issues with the tickets we purchased, instead of being center stage 30 rows back we ended up on the left side of the stage 3 rows back. We had purchased the tickets from a ticket broker and he offered them to us as a way of making up for his mistake.

Also during that show Taylor Swift was an opening act. This was when she was still a country singer and not as well known as she is today.

That was back in the 2007. I still have the tickets.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Rush. Candlebox opened for them, and they were great, too.

Bryan Adams

The Black Crowes and Lenny Kravitz. Wow, what a show.

Steve Miller Band

The Doobie Brothers

BB King. I had a one-in-five chance to win Lucille #17, but didn't.

MercyMe

Third Day

Night Ranger, Seven Wishes tour. My first concert. The guys behind me were smoking pot, and I didn't learn what that smell in my shirt was until many years later.

Blackberry Smoke. We've seen them 4 times in the past year and they were great each time.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post