SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live? Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Lyle Lovett and his Large Band when the album fist came out.

I have not seen the whole large band, but they are great. I saw Lovett and a subset of the Large Band at a private party once, and they are a really good band. So tight.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Black Crowes are my favorite band and I've seen them 25 times or so. They are always very good but they had a magical run when they first got back together in 2005. I wasn't old enough to see them in their peak of 1996-97 but many of the 2005-06 shows rival those. They have great songs and love to improvise and jam. I feel like they're a great mix of hard rocking, hooky songs but also great improv jamming.

I've seen Wilco 4 or 5 times and one of those, especially, was truly amazing but in a very different way than a Crowes show. Wilco jams some but their strength comes from replicating their extremely intricate and highly produced music in the live setting.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Prince and the NPG - the best live show ever and there isn't even a close second.

U2 also puts on a pretty good live show.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ramones.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
hard to say,

I've seen a shitton of concerts over the years andm missed many as well,

ones that stand out,

Costello, w\ The Impostor's in Portsmouth Va, I wanna say it was the first outing or concert with the new lineup and they were on fire,

SRV, at the Mosque in RVA, about 84 or so,
fantastic show, I walked in with friends not really knowing who he was, walked out a life long fan,

The Specials, never got to see them back in the day, but did see the last 2 shows in Silver Springs (the Fillmore) just outside DC,

the first was absolutely amazing, not the same line up as the orginal, but just amazing,
been a fan of SKA since the late 70's, and finally got to see the best SKA band,
saying that as one that has seen The Beat many many times (and will see them again in a couple weeks) as well as Bad Manners, The Selector and a pile of local stuff,

last but not least, Numan,
Pleasure Principle 40th tour,

start to finish, the entire album, then more stuff afterwards

seen him 3 times since, and always a good show

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Led Zeppelin, I guess. Certainly one of the most influential of its time...I guess. Though I could be a 'homer' and say Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Modhoney, Alice in Chains...

The Zep concert wasn't great however, thanks to the putrid acoustics of the venue, the concrete crock pot formerly known as The Kingdome. Unless you like reverb, that is. LOTS of reverb. Later concerts I went to in that building like The Stones and Pink Floyd were just as bad. Best show ever there was the day they imploded that built-on-the-cheap eye and ear sore of a building; that act did the sports and entertainment world one hell of a favor.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

J.D. Crowe and the New South, at the Red Slipper Lounge in Lexington KY, circa 1972-3. Members, most of whom went on to become established stars in their own right:

J.D. Crowe - banjo, guitar, vocals
Tony Rice - guitar, lead vocals
Ricky Skaggs - mandolin, fiddle, vocals
Jerry Douglas - dobro, guitar
Bobby Slone - bass, fiddle

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
When I think of best band, I think of musical correctness, timing, tightness of sound, and talent of players.

In this light, TOOL, the Zac Brown Band, and believe it or not, Matchbox20 are the best bands I've witnessed live.

Each member of the above bands could be a virtuoso solo performer or studio musician as a profession.

If we leave out the vocalists, the Pride of the Southland marching band performing at Neyland stadium in Knoxville Tennessee...by a wide margin!

Best "show" is an entirely different category.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Iron Maiden in the late 80's.

Triumph was also great. A band that never got its due. One of the best bands ever. Highly under-rated. Just one mans opinion.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I saw the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas show a few years back. Great concert.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
SRV w/Double Trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I'm going to say Procol Harum followed closely by The Band. Two great shows I saw when they were both really in their prime. In a small venue I saw The David Grisman Quintet when they had Tony Rice and Darol Anger. What a show that was!

Elvis Costello and the Attractions were very good and I'll agree with others that Joe Jackson is very good live.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we leave out the vocalists, the Pride of the Southland marching band performing at Neyland stadium in Knoxville Tennessee...by a wide margin!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I saw them perform over a number of years. You must have been a band member. Myself I prefer JSU or Southern bands.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I never went to a lot of concerts but a couple were memorable. The Doors in Asbury Park, NJ, everything you wanted from a Doors concert, over 50 years ago.

A great concert, totally entertaining was Willie Nelson with Leon Russell at the Captiol Theater in NJ. The concert went on and on, the best of Willie and a pleasure to have Leon there. This is available in YT and I'll listen to it every now and then.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

J.D. Crowe and the New South, at the Red Slipper Lounge in Lexington KY, circa 1972-3. Members, most of whom went on to become established stars in their own right:

J.D. Crowe - banjo, guitar, vocals
Tony Rice - guitar, lead vocals
Ricky Skaggs - mandolin, fiddle, vocals
Jerry Douglas - dobro, guitar
Bobby Slone - bass, fiddle

Oh, man. That would have been great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steely Dan at the Ryman.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Seen Yes at least three times, so I’m gonna go with them. RIP Chris Squire and Alan White… Frown

Absolutely! Saw them during the Going for the One Tour, in Europe,one of their most important lineups. Saw them during their Drama Tour (Buggles musicians had joined) and thought about hanging myself. Still trying to forgive them/forget the endless “I am a camera, camera, camera” still ringing in my head and trying to get out. Then three or more times in Argentina with different lineups. Back to good and very good.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Funny you should say that, Nicky. It was around the Drama time I dropped Yes. Was getting into more current stuff at the time. I'll always prefer the classic line up, though I have to say 90125 and Big Generator were very good albums.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Old Crow Medicine Show is the best band I have seen live. Only band I’ve ever seen where every member of the band played every instrument at one time or another in the show. Great entertainers.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
RUSH, of course!!! Stevie Ray Vaughn as a close second.

Posts: 379 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post