SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
AUTiger89, you saw a lot of “best” concerts, didn’t you.

Posts: 13261 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
AUTiger89, you saw a lot of “best” concerts, didn’t you.

Absolutely did.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
TOOL

Tool reminds me much of led zeppelin. Different then other bands of their time. Experimental, different styles, many tempo changes in their songs, flawless musicianship, and my favorite thing in a live band, a generational drummer.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All four times that I saw ZZ Top.

They did a very good job when they were turning out albums.

That was a l o n g time ago

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels tour, New Orleans 1989. A friend at a record store hooked me up with front row seating. Superdome was sold out.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I almost went to that concert (Tull)! Couldn’t find the money.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Albert King playing at My Brother's Place, Long Island (1973).

Very close second: Jethro Tull at Syracuse University's Manley Field House (1972)

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Iron Maiden every time since 1984! Best show and crowd participation!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Drove to Milwaukee and saw Pink Floyd at Brewers Stadium, that concert was great as best I can remember.
As far as the very best enjoyable concert, I would have to vote for a concert at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. I took my then young teenage Son with.
We had fantastic seats, center and about 6 rows back.
The show was. Ted Nugent, ZZ Top, Kenny Wayne Shepherd playing with Double Trouble.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Led Zeppelin, 6/27/72 at the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, CA. It was my first real concert, and things only went downhill from there. Some of the recordings from this concert were released on the How The West Was Won album in the early 2000s.

An honorable mention goes to Thin Lizzy in 1976. Had Phil Lynott not been a heroin addict his band would have gone much further than it did.

As to the question what makes a band, a rock band is composed of three to five people. They all play and sing well. They all contribute to songwriting. They are equal partners in the band's business affairs.

I prefer all male bands because add a female and the remaining members all want to sleep with her and the band falls apart with jealously.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Drove to Milwaukee and saw Pink Floyd at Brewers Stadium, that concert was great as best I can remember.
I was there, briefly. It was a month before I shipped out to the Coast Guard. Like you, we drove up from Chicago. One of my group fired up a joint on the first note of the opening tune and was immediately arrested. We left to bail him out (and to avoid being searched). I think I remember the pig flying by.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Godsmack
Fleetwood Mac

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably Pink Floyd at the Olympia in Detroit in '73 and '75, closely followed by Led Zeppelin at the Richfield Coliseum in '75.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Although I don’t listen to him anymore, hands down the best live performer I’ve seen was Bruce Springsteen in the early 80’s.

His show was almost 4 hours long and he really lit the place up. He really gave you yourh money’s worth.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

As far as the very best enjoyable concert, I would have to vote for a concert at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. …

Totally agree! Alpine Valley was the location of the best show I never saw.

I went there with a bunch of friends (three carloads full) to see the Doobie Brothers. Whenever we’d go to Alpine Valley, we’d get there early and party in the parking lot for a while before the show began.

That day, a couple of us decided to stay at my car and have another beer while the rest of our group went in to find a good place to see the show. One beer led to another, and before we knew it, the concert was over and everyone was coming back out. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Does Weird Al Yankovic count?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 13261 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Probably Roger Waters back in late 90s. I think it was his "In the flesh tour". Was a big Pink Floyd fan in my late teen. So that would have probably been 1999'ish. Maybe 2000.

The sound system he brought was amazing. We had center 2nd row seats. Great show.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Boston, back in 76 or 77. It was in the Denver metro area at McNichols Sports Arena. The air was green.....

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Butthole Surfers and Stone temple Pilots at Harvey's Lake, PA back in 93. The Surfers were supposed to open but were late so they closed and were fantastic. Back when I could go into the pit.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The Who.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post