SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who’s the Best Band You Ever Saw, Live? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Rush. Also loved Van Halen in the early 80s.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I worked as a bouncer at the now-imploded Capital Centre in Largo, MD.

I saw all manner of great bands, Led Zeppelin (four shows on the stage), Queen, Tull, Fleetwood Mac, ELP, Yes, Sabbath, Nugent and more.

For my own pleasure I went to even more shows. A few dozen Grateful Dead shows, Be Bop Deluxe (one show only, sadly), even Tangerine Dream in the Kennedy Center Concert Hall.

So discounting all those shows, the best live set I ever saw was The Glitch Mob when they toured Love, Death, Immortality.

Here are a few bits of video from that tour.

Was stone cold sober at the shows I saw, and I'm glad as the experience was two hours of sensory onslaught. I can't picture that show on hallucinogens.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You do you, Booboo

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Lyle Lovett and his Large Band when the album fist came out.

I have not seen the whole large band, but they are great. I saw Lovett and a subset of the Large Band at a private party once, and they are a really good band. So tight.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Lyle Lovett and his Large Band when the album fist came out.

I have not seen the whole large band, but they are great. I saw Lovett and a subset of the Large Band at a private party once, and they are a really good band. So tight.

A song that was early in his career, was Farther Down the Line.
My cuz plays steel guitar in that and some other songs on that album. Cuz is the most humble man I know.
Not bad for a musician from Cotton City, New Mexico. Trust me when I tell you, that's out in the country.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
For pure musical enjoyment: Jeff Beck late 70's

For pure entertainment: Bruce Springsteen The River tour 1980

For the thrill of seeing my favorite all time band: The Who - Who are you tour 1980

Honorable mention to a great triple bill of John "Cougar" Mellencamp, Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker, and The Kinks.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
I saw the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas show a few years back. Great concert.

I saw the Stray Cats back in the 80's at W&M hall, that was a fantastic show even from the cheap seats,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I haven't gone to many concerts. The best band I saw live was Earth, Wind, and Fire in their prime in the 70s.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I saw a lot of the greats over the years, I can't pick one best. Here is some of my favorites.
Deep Purple 1975
ELP 1974
Eric Clapton 1975
Ronnie Montrose 1989
The Who 1976
Nektar 1975
Yes 1974

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Probably Fleetwood Mac. Saw them in SLC in 1997 and Philly in 2014. Both times it was great.

Posts: 3145 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^ Funny you should say that, Nicky. It was around the Drama time I dropped Yes. Was getting into more current stuff at the time. I'll always prefer the classic line up, though I have to say 90125 and Big Generator were very good albums.

Yes is still high in my listening list. Must confess that me too had enough when Buggles showed up. Hard to forgive. Never payed much attention to what followed afterwards, sticking strictly to a bunch of live albums with the essential Yes. Will have to listen to those rwo albums you mentioned. Fun fact, i have dyscalculia, the 90something album name is impossible to remember but i’ve listened to it. By the time they released Big Generator they added the missig Roger Dean’s cover to the list of my griefs.

Yet, The Ladder is one of my most likeable albums from the final Yes days. It cheers me up.

Firsr saw Yes with a grand tour, all the gimmicks, impressive. By those days i was also able to listen to Going for the One while skiing at the Alps. Magnificent and matching. They had recorded some of it in that european environment and it somehow showed.
The last times i saw them they were just a band, simple, pleasurable. None of the fancy stuff. But still great after all those decades.

Bodies were tired but the magic was still there.

PS: Billy Sherwood has done great things with Yes and check out both his Pink Floyd Tribute Albums: Back against the Wall, a must have, and The other side of DSOTM. An amazing roster and a perfect collection.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Probably King Crimson supporting the Thrak album.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heydrich:
Hands down Queen.

Gotta agree, saw them in 1980 shortly before Another One Bites the Dust hit the airwaves.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Van Halen 1984 tour at the Richfield Coliseum right outside of Cleveland.
Roth was the lead singer at the time. Awesome show.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I almost mentioned them. I saw them at another small Atlanta place a few years ago and it was a fantastic show.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:
Originally posted by heydrich:
Hands down Queen.

Gotta agree, saw them in 1980 shortly before Another One Bites the Dust hit the airwaves.

I like Queen. Think i saw that Tour, the one that became the Live Killers album if i’m not mistaken.
The only thing i remember is that the bass player was glued to the ground and the vocal solo and the guitar solo were painfully Loooong.

Skippink that, it was a great show.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I saw Springsteen in 1977 before he started running his mouth. Always thought the first three albums were his best for pure entertainment before he got all thoughtful and moody. The Big Man and Little Stevie were icing on the cake.

Runner up was Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt in a theater sized venue. Two chairs on a stage and couple of acoustic guitars. They took turns playing a song and occasionally did a duet. They just played and played.

Honorable mention to Fleetwood Mac, Oct 1975, at UConn in the old Quonset hut field house.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Deep Purple

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I almost mentioned them. I saw them at another small Atlanta place a few years ago and it was a fantastic show.

I had tickets to see them in Norfolk,, then the Cooties hit and the show was canceled, then rescheduled at another Venue in another town, and I could not attend,

I did get to see Adrian Belew last year, fantastic show, and will see him with Jerry Harrison in June, (and hopefully with Peter Murphy doing a Bowie tribute after that)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think of a band as being more than 4-5 people. By that definition, it's hard to beat Tower of Power, who no one has mentioned. Others I have seen, who were great would include Lyle Lovett's large band and David Bromberg, when he puts together a band with a horn section. My brother likes Average White Band.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post