Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

Something fun to watch during the down time. Amazing how much the difference in body (foot) position imparted on the time. Interesting to say the least.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Crutchlow to join Petronas Yamaha SRT for next three races

Hopefully he has better success on the Yamaha than he did the Honda.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Dani Pedrosa to make KTM MotoGP wildcard appearance at Austria

Can't wait to see Dani ride the bike he built.

This is so great to read this morning! KTM was quite smart and incredibly fortunate to pick up Dani and have him help develop the bike. Dani’s knowledge and experience gained working with Honda all those years is really starting to benefit KTM. I love it!!!!

Mutedblade, that video you posted is so frickin cool! I love how he broke down the part about the riders keeping the suspension compressed as long as possible going into the straight and how sitting on the seat when he did on the long straight caused the electronics to cut power briefly compared to the other rider who used the kick you get from shifting to boost him up onto the seat. I knew body position was important but whoa I didn’t realize it had THAT much of an impact on lap times. Great video!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Suzuki Adds Holeshot Device to GSX-RR

quote:
​​​​​​​
Reigning MotoGP champion team Suzuki will finally join all its rivals in running a ‘holeshot device’ when the championship resumes after its summer break in Austria this weekend.

Pioneered by Ducati at the end of 2018, the devices lock the suspension to control the rear ride height, meaning power isn’t wasted compressing the fork.

Its first use was on the front suspension to assist with race starts, but Ducati later added a version to its rear suspension that could be used to improve power delivery on corner exits all around the circuits.

The system was steadily copied by the majority of the other factory teams, but Suzuki had not introduced its own until now.

Suzuki revealed the news in its in-house magazine, with the team’s technical manager Ken Kawauchi saying the summer break had created an opportunity to get the upgrade sorted at last.

“Overall we have a very balanced bike, it’s something that we have deliberately strived for throughout the development of the GSX-RR,” he said.

“We know that if you improve one area you might lose in another, so we’ve always tried to make a very well-rounded machine which performs well at most circuits.

“Although we are satisfied with our 2021 bike, there are always improvements to be made, and we believe the introduction of the squatting device will help our riders to progress.

“Being in such a demanding sport means that we are constantly called upon to develop new solutions that suit our machine. The important thing is to keep the momentum; I believe that ‘constant development in the right direction’ is a winning philosophy in such a competitive championship.

“This long break in July allows us to make an in-depth analysis of where we are and implement new solutions that will hopefully be effective for the second half of the season.”

After its shock run to the riders’ title with Joan Mir and also the teams’ championship in 2020, Suzuki has had a low-key title defence so far.

It has yet to win a race in 2021, Mir is 55 points behind leader Fabio Quartararo and sitting fourth in the riders’ championship, the team is fourth in the manufacturers’ and only fifth in the teams’ standings.

Suzuki’s cause has been hampered by a string of errors from Mir’s team-mate Alex Rins that culminated in an injury absence caused when he crashed his bicycle while reading a message on his phone.

But it has also lacked the pace to challenge regular frontrunners Yamaha and Ducati, especially in qualifying – where it was already weak throughout its championship-winning season.

Rins estimated before the break that the absence of the holeshot device was costing Suzuki 0.2-0.3s per lap, while Mir said “We have to work to have the device as soon as possible so that we can start working with the same tools as the others”.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Good. Better late than never. If they didn’t put it on the bike people would have to wonder if Suzuki was ever even serious about defending their title.

This is a great example of why they were not able to secure a satellite team. Losing your team manager and rather publicly struggling to equip your team with a device every other team is using is basic stuff. I understand their reluctance to mess up the bikes exquisite balance and corner speed but they have got to deal with that top speed deficit and this is a move in the right direction.

Hopefully it’s not too little too late.

It isn’t that Suzuki is slow off the line, they are certainly not but this will benefit them during the entirety of the race despite the name they have given the device.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Kevin Schwantz recently floated a theory that Maverick could find his way back to Suzuki via an early departure from Rins. It’s an interesting hypothesis but given the recent friction between Schwantz and Rins this could just be Kevin going hard, ratcheting up the rhetoric and covertly saying he doesn’t think Rins is a championship caliber rider. I cannot for the life of me find the video of Schwantz saying this, only references from moto pages quoting him saying this last month.

My take is that Kevin and Suzuki may be over the crashes and injury plagued Rins. He didn’t do himself any favors crashing a dang bicycle at arguably the worst time possible and really screwing his team when it came to contributing data for his team mate. Which did have negative effects on his team mates performance due to a tire choice miscalculation. When you don’t have any satellite teams to contribute data and go down to only one bike you’re already fighting with the odds stacked slightly against you.

I think Rins is going to have to really turn things around this second half of the season because it’s looking like his relationship with Suzuki could be deteriorating. It’s never good when one of the ambassadors for your brand is floating the idea of cutting you loose to Yamaha to make room for Maverick

I’m ready for the racing to resume!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Rossi Retirement?

quote:
​​​​​​​
Seven-time MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi looks set to announce his retirement from the sport imminently.

An exceptional press conference has been scheduled for this afternoon at the Styrian Grand Prix.

The Petronas Yamaha rider has already said that a decision on his future would be made during MotoGP’s summer break, which ends today at the Red Bull Ring, and the unusual step of announcing an exceptional press conference means that it seems that decision has been made.

While there has been speculation in recent weeks that he will join his own VR46 Ducati team for 2022 instead of stepping down after 26 seasons of grand prix racing, The Race’s sources in the MotoGP paddock believe that the news will instead be a retirement announcement.

That fits with this morning’s late announcement that the exceptional press conference will be hosted not by Rossi’s Petronas Yamaha team or by his own representatives but by series promoter Dorna.

The special addition to the schedule will get underway at 1615 local time (1515 UK time).

Rossi is expected to race a Ferrari in the 2022 World Endurance Championship as well as running his MotoGP team.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Honestly stick, I'd have to agree with Schwantz. Rins hasn't done well at Suzuki and he isn't pushing the limits in order to further develop the bike. Is Mav who I would pick as a replacement? Not a chance! DIVA would be an understatement. Mav and Jorge Lorenzo have way too much in common. Bring fresh talent in.

Also, today there should be plenty of news after the press conference.

Rossi to retire or race on Ducati? My bet is he does 1 last season with Luca to appease Saudi oil money.

Bezz to Petronas (pretty much a done deal). Which bike? I'd say Rossi's factory bike. Who gets the 2nd bike? Joe Roberts?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t know Mutedblade. Rins beat a healthy Marquez straight up at Silverstone and after being pushed off the track by MM and nearly crashing. I think he has what it takes to fight with the best. Suzuki isn’t strong this year. Rins has been asking too much and pushing too hard on a bike whose main advantage is corner speed. When that goes bad it tends to go bad spectacularly.

We will know more in about 20 minutes. Fingers crossed Rossi gives it a go on that Ducati.

Coming from an agile M1 the Ducati will take some time to adjust to but I hope he doesn’t retire. Ducati is a hell of a lot stronger than when he rode for them before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Rossi to retire at the end of the season. Wish it could've been on a higher note, but I think he knows he's no longer competitive.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oh man. I am not surprised but I am definitely saddened to see that the beautiful sport will be losing one of its most likable, energetic, charismatic, motivated, funny and successful riders ever. I’m feeling a renewed urge to somehow find a way to go to COTA.

This news makes me downcast a hell of a lot more than I was expecting. I can’t even imagine how MotoGP’s biggest fan base is feeling today. Frown I actually convinced myself that he would probably at least try to race on a Ducati and take advantage of that hellacious power it has right now. I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up.

In true Rossi style I love that he never stopped smiling even when announcing his retirement. What he achieved is nothing short of incredible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I got my tickets to COTA and will watch the G.O.A.T. ride one last time.

Looking forward to riding my Corse around the scene.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/mot...o-risky/6642546/amp/

quote:

Valentino Rossi “thought deeply” about racing with his own VR46 MotoGP team in 2022 but felt the “risk” was too great for just one season, which helped his retirement decision.
On Thursday ahead of the Styrian Grand Prix, Rossi announced the 2021 season – his 26th grand prix world championship campaign – would be his last having elected to retire at the end of the year.

Over the summer break the possibility for Rossi to race with his own VR46 team on a Ducati in 2022 emerged after it transpired that the Aramco title sponsorship of the outfit did not exist – and therefore Rossi would need to pilot one of the Desmosedicis in order to secure backing for the team.

While uncertainty still surrounds the Aramco/VR46 deal, Rossi ultimately decided to call time on his racing career.

He feels the VR46 Ducati project is a good option, but believes he needs a couple of seasons at least to adapt to the Ducati – having famously struggled in 2011-2012 with the Italian marque – and felt “there is more risk” in the move if it was just for one season.

“I have an offer also from my team for next year,” Rossi said.

“An official offer! I think deeply to continue because I would have liked to have raced for my team and have my bikes in Tavullia with the team there.

“I think that we have a great Moto3 and Moto2 team there with a lot of people that I have known there for a long time.

“For example, I have some mechanics that have worked with me on the 250cc so in 1998 and 1999.

“So, it would have been fascinating to race with my team but at the end I decided not to for some different reasons; I would have had to change bike, I think that it was a good project if you have two or three years but if you have just one season maybe there is more risk than the good things.

“So that is why I decided not to.”

Rossi admits he is “not happy” to be retiring from MotoGP given his passion for motorcycle racing, but feels he was ready for the decision now.

“Two years ago and also last year I was not ready to stop with MotoGP because I had to understand and try everything, but now I am OK, I am quiet,” he added.

“I am not happy for sure but if I make another year, next year, I would not be happy in the same moment because I want to race for another 20 years!

“I think this is the right moment.

“We have another half of a season where I will try to be stronger than in the first half and I will try to give my best but I think it is the right choice.”

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Get your Moto GP pole predictions in.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I really hope before I die that I get to attend a race at the Red Bull Ring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Once again, this track proves to be the most dangerous on the calendar. Turn 3 is just treacherous. After last season, with Zarco’s incident, which could have seriously hurt Morbidelli’s and killed either Valentino or Maverick, how much more or how close do we have to get before this round gets axed?

They were predicting possible thunderstorms and rain today. And the riders were saying if that occurs, postpone the race to Monday. That’s how dangerous the Red Bull Ring is. I detest the circuit in terms of layout and safety.

Having said all that Mr. Martin…. At the beginning of the year I said he picked up the premier class bike quicker than most and expected to see some wins this year from him. He is a true talent and showed it today. Nasty wreck and injuries from earlier in the season and must still be in some kind of pain. But he beat all his Ducati riders who have more experience, and everyone else.

I hope Pecco has better luck next weekend. Before the race was red flagged, he looked excellent.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
All the tracks are dangerous. The crash that resulted today was in no way related to a design flaw with the Red Bull Ring. Hell the guy who caused the crash is KTM’s test rider and this is their home track. It was unfortunate that he ended up on the racing line but that is racing. Sometimes the stars align and magic happens and other times you have a day like Maverick did today. Dani got damn lucky today, both he and MotoGP dodged a tragedy. Yes, sure this track has produced similar close calls at the frequency rate of three in a row but I don’t think in this case you can blame the track.

I saw a star born on an Italian made V4 missile followed closely by a man trying to defend his title. That Suzuki is slammed baby!!! The Ducati is still HP king but a bit of that straight line speed got chiseled away. I bet they wish they had developed it sooner. I loved watching Mir tangle with Marquez before the red flag. Especially after what MM did to Espargaró. It was interesting to see Jack Miller and Fabio battle it out with Jack unfortunately falling victim to the lethal corner speed of the Yamaha.

This is one of the tracks with the fastest average speeds. It might be the fastest. Who wants to race the fastest average speed track in the rain?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
No, other tracks have more run off. Other tracks don’t have places like where Zarco had an accident last year and nearly killed both Factory Yamaha riders This track is very unique in how dangerous it is and can be. Many of the riders don’t like the track and don’t think they should be racing there until the run off areas are addressed.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t matter if you have the most runoff areas in all of MotoGP. If you fall in such a way that you find yourself on the race line and bikes are flying past with maybe split seconds to try to avoid you it’s more or less in Gods hands. When it happened earlier this year and Jason Dupasquier wasn’t as lucky no one said Mugello should be canceled.

One of the three recent crashes at this track was due to a brake failure. It’s hard to fault a track for that one. Darn that track for it’s high speed & hard braking. A track where Ducati, Suzuki and Yamaha finish at the top seems like a place where anyone can now win. I’ll take that. Smile

I hope we won’t see a 4th consecutive Red Bull ring race get flagged. Wonder what the odds are on that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I listen to the riders on the safety of the tracks. They say it’s too dangerous in current form.