Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Those first 3 laps before the red flag were spectacular racing. TIGHT everywhere and hips, elbows, and knees out!!! It looked like bumper bikes Big Grin old school Nascar type racing and it was fun.

Aleix had a few good hits from MM93 and they took a toll on him.

Pecco lost a lot in that race yesterday. Not saying he would have won the race, but I'm certain he wouldn't have 11th behind the guy that caused the red flag to begin with...Don't want to take anything from Dani--all last week, I was hoping that he would whip the shit out of the entire field and win. Kind of a F-U to HRC. Alas, he couldn't do it but damned if he didn't try. Finishing 10th behind the Marquez bros was very solid considering it's been 3 years since he raced.

Olivera should be furious at Michelin. I'm sure there are gonna be some harsh words from his team regarding the chunking in the front tire. Maybe he overcooked them, but to me, it simply looks like a manufacturing
defect.

As for the track and it's safety? I think there are better ones available to race on and if the riders themselves have safety concerns, then we should listen. Personally, I'd like to see more rider input about track selection.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Safety commission meets every Friday evening after practice at every round. There are some very vocal riders about Spielberg.

Rubber chunking off Michelins is nothing new. 2006, Rossi had it happen 2-3 different times. Shanghai comes to mind. Whole sections of tires just like you posted above. Crazy, 15 years ago and same problem.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Joan Mir speaking about safety issues at the Red Bull Ring.

Link to article

"T3 is critical, really dangerous especially in the wet," said Mir, who finished second in Sunday's race.
"What is also very dangerous on this track is T1 and T3 because at the exit of these corners there is an uphill and then it drops down. And if something happens there, you don't see it."
On lap three, KTM rider Dani Pedrosa fell on Turn 3. Several riders narrowly missed him before Lorenzo Savadori of Aprilia hit his bike.
The bikes came to rest in the middle of the track and caught fire.
Pedrosa, returning to MotoGP after two years as a test rider, walked away but Savadori was removed on a stretcher and will have an operation on a broken right ankle on Monday.

Also from the article and quite interesting....

“There are some critical points but for sure Turn 3 is critical because normally it's there where we always have accidents or they have to stop," said Sunday's MotoGP winner Jorge Martin, who struck a slightly more optimistic note.
"It seems that in future the layout will be different so I think they will solve this problem because we arrive at a very high speed into that corner and also there is an uphill after, when you open the throttle.
"You can't see and that's why maybe Savadori crashed. So I think in the future it will be okay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Vinales suspended by Yamaha

quote:

In a statement issued by Yamaha on Thursday morning ahead of this weekend’s second Red Bull Ring race, it says it has withdrawn Vinales’ entry from the 11th round of the championship.

Yamaha says it has suspended Vinales over “unexplained irregular operation of the motorcycle” during last Sunday’s Styrian GP, in which Vinales finished in the pitlane owing to what he claimed were numerous electronics issues which were giving him a “pitlane” message on his dashboard.

Yamaha says it’s decision is based on analysis of data and concluded Vinales’ actions could have “potentially caused” engine damage, which in turn could have created serious risk to himself and to those around him.

He will not be replaced this weekend and his participation in other races is subject to further discussions in the team.

A statement from the team read: “Yamaha regrets to announce that Maverick Vinales‘ entry to this weekend‘s Austrian MotoGP event has been withdrawn by the Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP team.

“The absence follows the suspension of the rider by Yamaha due to the unexplained irregular operation of the motorcycle by the rider during last weekend‘s Styria MotoGP race.

“Yamaha‘s decision follows an in-depth analysis of telemetry and data over the last days.

“Yamaha‘s conclusion is that the rider‘s actions could have potentially caused significant damage to the engine of his YZR-M1 bike which could have caused serious risks to the rider himself and possibly posed a danger to all other riders in the MotoGP race.

“The rider will not be replaced at the Austrian GP.

“Decisions regarding the future races will be taken after a more detailed analysis of the situation and further discussions between Yamaha and the rider.”

This is just the latest chapter in the ever-souring relationship between Yamaha and Vinales, which has deteriorated beyond repair across the 2021 season.

After convincing winning the Qatar GP, Vinales has struggled for form on his factory M1 and has only scored one other podium so far this season – finishing second at Assen just a week after he was stone last in the German GP.

After the German GP it wasn’t clear whether Vinales would actually race in the following week’s Dutch TT, with Yamaha thought to have put test rider Cal Crutchlow on standby for Assen – making him unavailable at Petronas SRT to fill in for the injured Franco Morbidelli.

Crutchlow offered a different version of events last weekend, claiming he didn’t race at Assen because he was due to test in Japan.

Yamaha announced on the Monday after the Dutch TT that it had agreed to release Vinales – upon his request – from the final year of his current contract with the team, which was due to expire at the end of 2022.

He is thought to be taking up a seat at Aprilia, though nothing is yet confirmed.

Vinales made a strong start to last weekend’s Styrian GP before it was red-flagged, with his race unravelling at the restart.

He stalled his M1 on the grid and had to start from pitlane, and struggled all race, eventually finishing through the pitlane due to what he claimed were electrical problems.

Vinales stated after the race that Yamaha changed the clutch on his M1, which was a normal procedure after some problems in 2020, and the feeling on his bike completely changed.

On Facebook, Vinales’ father claimed Yamaha was deliberately sabotaging his son’s machinery.

Vinales didn’t say anything similar, but did suggest to Spanish press last Sunday that his relationship with Yamaha management is bad.

“Let's see, it's not uncomfortable,” Vinales said of the team dynamic.

“Me, with the team, with my mechanics, I'm great. Another thing is with the Yamaha bosses, but with my mechanics I am perfect and grateful because we have made the most of it.

“Sometimes it doesn't come out anymore, but nothing happens, it is what it is.

“We must keep pushing and hopefully by the end of the year we will have the opportunity to have the bike that I had this Sunday in the first outing.”

Since joining Yamaha in 2017, following a strong first half to the campaign, Vinales has repeatedly struggled with numerous problems on the M1 – a lack of rear grip, lack of front feeling, poor feeling in the early stages of races on full fuel and bad starts.

Yamaha has made numerous changes to the personnel in the team over the years to try and help him, most significantly ousting ex-Jorge Lorenzo crew chief Ramon Forcada in favour of Vinales’ ex-Moto3 crew chief Esteban Garcia in 2019.

At Barcelona this year, Garcia was swapped out for ex-Valentino Rossi crew chief Silvano Galbusera – though it’s thought this only worsened tensions between management and Vinales.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Gerloff back in GP if MV gets more than a 1 race suspension?

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Yamaha‘s conclusion is that the rider‘s actions could have potentially caused significant damage to the engine of his YZR-M1 bike which could have caused serious risks to the rider himself and possibly posed a danger to all other riders in the MotoGP race.

What did he do?

Rev limit burnout donuts on the track at pit out?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Mav has been badmouthing his boss and tried destroying one of the allotted engines out of spite. My guess is he’s out for the rest of the season. Aprilia is crazy if they get in bed with him. He’s quite a diva and I’m not impressed by his performance.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

What did he do?

Rev limit burnout donuts on the track at pit out?

No. You’d think so with all these new school so called “experts” who have watched the sport for a couple seasons and think they know everything. Some of these journalists are straight hacks too. The newer or younger gens know nothing of destroying a tire in pit lane or on the cool down lap blowing smoke all over the fucking place! Those were the days, I’m especially fond of them one handed. Vale’s were epic on the NSR and 211v.

Nah, he left it in 5th and didn’t upshift to 6th for the “couple seconds” Yamaha wanted him to. Let’s call it 2 races last weekend because of yet another red flag at the safest track in the world. Race 1 he is there, menacing and a threat for the rostrum. Race 2, start goes to shit. I think the ground loop, telemetry, got all fucked up because he started from pit lane. If you remember, bike stalled. Whether he caused it or a clutch snafu/bike issue. He pushes it into pit lane for a pit lane start, almost left pit lane for the sighting lap, then reversed it up to just hold there, no sighting lap for him. Probably fucked up the telemetry (electronics are all tied to the ground loop in the track so the bike knows where it is at all times, like GPS) so all during the race the dash is flashing pit lane, fucking up. So maybe he wasn’t shifting into 6th because the dash, the bike, or something was not working right. Who knows. All I do know is he is getting slagged proper on the GP forums. I’m no fan of his, nor any Spanish rider for that matter, but Yamaha has a real bad history these last few years in the traction area, the engine, and especially the electronics. Problem after problem. It was so bad a few years ago the chief Yamaha GP engineer had a special press conference and publicly apologized to Mav, Vale, and the public. The Japanese just don’t do things like that, so it was bad. Yamaha has a history, like Suzuki, of investing when they are down, then when the bike is competitive they quit investing, and get left behind by other mfr’s. Namely Honda and Ducati in recent years.

Mav has had issues with the M1 in recent years, Vale as well. So it’s not unique to Viñales. Jarvis and Yamaha really fucked up when they sacked Mav’s crew chief, Esteban Garcia. Esteban and Maverick are close friends and it’s not something Maverick wanted, at all, but Yamaha did what they wanted to do. That’s where all this shit started, the sacking of his crew chief. This is why Maverick is like fuck this, I’ve had enough. He and Vale got nothing but excuses and I think the reality is last year, this year, development is wrapped like a bow around Fabio. They did this exact same thing before with Lorenzo. And it’s the same problem that has plagued Repsol in recent years with Honda wrapping the whole bike around Marquez, which is why nobody else has done shit with it. Vale didn’t go to shit in one year, hell less than a year. He was on the podium last year, fighting at the front, and this year in the rear with the gear. The reality is the M1 has not been developed for him and his riding style for years. It’s still the Lorenzo style development. Fabio does so well because he rides a lot like Lorenzo, at least much more closely to that style than either Mav or Vale. And just a guess but Mav has been there longer and all of a sudden all dev is going to Fabio. That + firing his crew chief = disaster. Lin Jarvis is a bit of a prick. And more evidence for M1 issues, look at Franco. He was what #2 last year in the championship, winning races. Then this year, fuck all, even before the injury. Night and day for Franco and Vale compared to last year and just more of the same bullshit for Maverick.

Mav should just leave. The KTM didn’t work at all for Zarco. The bike didn’t work for him, it wasn’t the right environment, and even though I don’t like his riding or him either for that matter, it was the right move for him to leave KTM and join Ducati satellite team. Look at him now. He’s competitive. And Mav, shit I haven’t seen a Spanish rider in decades that wasn’t hot headed. They all are. It’s their DNA. Want a better example, date a Spanish lady. You’ll figure it out when they are pissed off. Hot headed is putting it mildly.

And people are slagging Maverick off. Talking mental problems and what not. Give me a fucking break man. Meanwhile Marc Marquez just slammed into Aleix Espargaro, twice, in both race starts, deliberately, or unnecessarily, and hardly a word. MotoGP is often handbags and bullshit. One rider, zero talk. Another oh he needs to seek counseling. Rose tinted glasses, big time. Aprilia would be stupid not to grab him, and Ducati I know is eyeing him up for 2023 as they wanted him badly before he resigned with Yamaha. Maverick has the raw talent. He just needs the right team and bike. All these guys are mental, egotistic and need some massaging. When Maverick believes in the bike, isn’t getting a bunch of excuses and the bike is working, he is capable of beating Fabio and Marquez, and has done so. He is so damn fast so a change is in order. He switches to something like the Ducati and it’s the same story then slag him off. He’s only 26.

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I think Jarvis has to go personally. He's Yamaha's Puig and he is holding them back. I just read what Miller had to say about the ordeal and completely agree with what he said. End of the day, you're there to collect a paycheck and if you don't do what you're paid to do....well, you get benched!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mutedblade,

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Red Bull Ring has faced much criticism in the six years since MotoGP started going back there, mostly about the safety of the riders on track.

https://motomatters.com/analys...ursday_round_up.html

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine, your assessment above was comprehensive, intelligent and complete. I completely agree with you.

Thank you for that write up.

And you are right, while Zarco is not my favorite rider, he is doing well on Ducati.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Red Bull Ring to get revised turn 2 GP Layout

quote:

The Red Bull Ring has revealed the designs of its revised layout for MotoGP from 2022, which will now feature a chicane at the current Turn 2 to improve safety.
Safety at the Austrian venue for MotoGP has been called into question over the past year following three-successive races being red-flagged for serious incidents - the latest coming last weekend when Dani Pedrosa and Lorenzo Savadori were involved in a fiery crash on the exit of Turn 3.

The biggest incident happened at the current Turn 2 left kink, which runs up to the right Turn 3, when in last year’s Austrian Grand Prix Johann Zarco and Franco Morbidelli collided at 200mph.

Both riders’ bikes then flew up hill and narrowly avoided hitting Yamaha duo Maverick Vinales and Valentino Rossi in a terrifying scene.

To stop a repeat a barrier was put in place that runs along the outside of Turn 3, while major safety improvements were put under discussion for 2022.

On Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Austrian GP, the Red Bull Ring unveiled the designs of its revised layout that will be used by MotoGP from next year.

Riders will exit Turn 1 as normal and carry on towards the Turn 2 kink, where from 2022 they will brake and go right, then left through a chicane before continuing up to Turn 3.

The new layout is aimed to reduce the approach speed to Turn 3 and stop any major incidents from occurring again, like the Zarco/Morbidelli one from 2020. Construction on the new layout will begin in November of this year.

Formula 1 will continue to use the current layout going forward, though the revision has been designed in conjunction with the FIA and MotoGP’s governing body the FIM.

A statement from the Red Bull Ring read: “The Red Bull Ring has hosted Formula 1 since 2014 and the Motorcycle World Championship since 2016.

“Since then, hundreds of thousands of fans have experienced numerous great race weekends at the Spielberg.

“In order to further improve the attractiveness and safety of the Austrian Grand Prix circuit, a chicane will be built in the area of the second turn in coordination with the FIA and the Formula One Group as well as the FIM, Dorna and AMF.

“The necessary construction work will start in November and continue over the winter so that the Red Bull Ring can start the 2022 season with the new track layout for two-wheel racing series.”

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Petronas withdraws SRT Title Sponsorship - SRT drops Moto 2/3 teams

quote:

The Sepang Racing Team made its grand prix debut in 2015 in the Moto3 class before expanding to the Moto2 class.

In 2019 it stepped up to MotoGP as Yamaha’s new satellite partner with backing from Petronas, bringing up Fabio Quartararo from Moto2 and signing 2017 Moto2 world champion Franco Morbidelli. The squad was a breakout success, Quartararo on a ‘B-spec’ version of the YZR-M1 scoring seven podiums and six pole positions.

The team then won six races across the 2020 campaign, Quartararo on the factory-spec M1 and Morbidelli on the year-old ‘A-spec’ bike – the latter finishing runner-up in the championship to Suzuki’s Joan Mir.

SRT always hoped to be a breeding ground for young talents, using its Moto2 and Moto3 projects as a pathway to the MotoGP team. This will now likely only happen for one rider if SRT Moto3 rider Darryn Binder makes the jump directly to MotoGP in 2022 as has been rumoured.

SRT has been thrust into a 2022 rider line-up dilemma since Maverick Vinales elected to quit the factory Yamaha squad at the end of this season.

Yamaha will promote Morbidelli to join Quartararo next year, while Valentino Rossi’s retirement – announced last Thursday – means SRT will need to find two riders for 2022.

Its main choice was star Moto2 rookie Raul Fernandez, who in turn wanted to join SRT as he felt the Yamaha would better suit his riding style. But Fernandez has been locked into a KTM contract for the next two years which will see him step up to the Tech 3 squad.

Rossi protege Marco Bezzecchi was next in line to join SRT, but now looks set to move up to MotoGP next year with the VR46 Ducati team alongside Luca Marini.

Motorsport.com has now learned Petronas plans to back out of its title partnership with SRT, with the squad scrapping its Moto2 and Moto3 teams to protect the MotoGP project. It is understood that Yamaha has renegotiated its deal with SRT, offering it two ‘B-spec’ M1s – essentially non-works bikes – for 2022.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Prior to the flag those first few laps at Austria were awesome. It was close and there was lots of action. I’m hoping for more of that on Sunday. Watching Mir make an aggressive move and get the better of Marquez was pretty damn fun.

Cal Crutchlow calls Austria “a shit track” but where did he finish the race? Hmmmm. Doesn’t seem like a track were he is very good... I’d almost be so bold as to call him a shit rider at that shit track. Eek Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Prior to the flag those first few laps at Austria were awesome. It was close and there was lots of action. I’m hoping for more of that on Sunday. Watching Mir make an aggressive move and get the better of Marquez was pretty damn fun.

Cal Crutchlow calls Austria “a shit track” but where did he finish the race? Hmmmm. Doesn’t seem like a track were he is very good... I’d almost be so bold as to call him a shit rider at that shit track. Eek Big Grin

And you’d be a damned fool to do so. Cal is the best British rider since Barry Sheene. He has won races, many podiums, and has had more surgeries and injuries than you will your whole life. His body paying the expense for motorcycle racing. Cal is very respected in the paddock, and considered a “straight shooter”. He can say what he wants now because he isn’t a series rider who has been given strict rules about what they can say, what they cannot, and a whole stack of politics. Miller, Crutchlow, are just a few riders that will tell you the truth.

Either way I’m not going to sit here and watch you call that man shit. You’re so far damned off base, Cal lives on the Isle of Man. But this is more postings from you that are all hat and no cattle. You don’t know what the fuck you are talking about. Time to put you on the ignore list so I don’t have to read the ignorant shit any longer.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I would have expected someone who lives at the Isle of Man to do a bit better at “the most dangerous track in Motogp”. Maybe it’s not a great idea to call a track shit when your performance at the top level could be called the same thing. He is not a champion at the top level of competition. Period. You can equate him with Barry but he isn’t on that level. If this offends you then it is what it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
WHAT A RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was probably the most exciting, unpredictable and wonderful race I have seen yet.

That pit stop by Jorge Martín was wild! Jorge came in hot and hit the brakes hard enough to send the rear wheel skyward as he jumped off the bike and his crew grabbed it.

That was a hell of a show. How many different race leaders were there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

This pic pretty much sums up that race.... Eek

Awesome showdown in the final 3 laps. Fans, commentators, and Dorna are already calling it the race of the decade. I'll admit, not exactly how I thought it was gonna play out but close. I got 2/3rds of the podium right.

ETA: Jorge Martin is gonna be a star. He's making the Ducati turn.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Jorge showed at the beginning of the season he’s that Ducati rider Corse has been searching for. These two weekends will grow his confidence immensely and he’s a threat for Marquez and Fabio from here on out. He’s riding the Ducati, as well as Pecco, different than the rest. Riding more the front than the rear.

The race was certainly dramatic. I’m not Gaga over it because I was crossing my fingers someone didn’t get seriously injured or worse. The good news is that Red Bull finally listened to the riders and will make the adjustments to the track necessary for safety. Bad news is that today could have gone horribly wrong for someone. Between 2 and 3, you go down, it could be bowling balls.

It was real cute at the end that they penalized Brad. Last year they said if there is no advantage gained by exceeding track limits then you will not be punished, but today they went ahead and penalized. Kind of a joke.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Towards the end of the race before it got crazy you could see the wind was blowing pretty hard. One of the track officials was under an umbrella that was being blown around quite a bit. The Ducati’s aero didn’t seem to be too phased by the wind. I was surprised by that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~