SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
How's this for some Mercedes crybaby bullshit.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...ada/10321239/?nrt=54

Wolff concerned Hamilton’s back pain could put him out of Canadian GP

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff fears Lewis Hamilton’s back pain from porpoising could yet have "consequences" for his participation in next week’s Canadian Grand Prix.

If your shitty car keeps bottoming out because you're too stupid to figure out the problem, raise the ride height or kick the old man out of the car. Everyone else seems to have a handle on this while the only thing Toto has a handle on is Lewie's cock.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not much talk about yet another outstanding performance by George Russell.
The star of the year so far, quietly out performing expectations.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bad day for Ferrari & their customer teams.
4 Ferrari PU cars DNF.
Sainz sounded crunchy, gearbox?
Leclerc & KMag both smoky, PU, guessing.
Didn't catch what put Zhou out.

Weekend to forget for Bottas. Just way off pace all weekend. IIRC, they said it was the first time since 2015 that he was out in Q1.
Hoping Canada is a turnaround for him & the Ferrari PU cars.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I hate to see Ferrari having mechanical trouble, leaving no competition for RedBull. Makes for boring racing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Carmas a bitch Mattia … say the ghost of SV

To finish first, you must first finish… That’s superfast engine sure blows up… Super fast!

Red Bull’s pitwall and strategy team have been far superior than Ferrari. They built a car that will win the race, (but not necessarily pip the pole).

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Russel is the only one who scored points in every race so far.

Good for him!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
GR is definitely punching the Merc above its weight, compared to his teammate.
MB seems to be dialing the car in, and a few more Ferrari failures/strategy missteps could get Merc into 2nd for the WCC.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yet no one is concerned with Russell's back since he's had to carry Mercedes this year....

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on their meek level of reliability, it does appear that Ferrari's F1 cars are these days being built by the road car side of the company. They sure could use the skill and deftness of a Mauro Forghieri right about now.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely seems to be some opposites between Ferrari & RBR.

Ferrari is really fast on 1 lap pace, but distance reliability isn't there.
RBR not quite there on quali pace, but has a great racecar.

I think we'd all take #2 in that case.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The question is, how much does Ferrari need to dial back to get the needed reliability in race pace since most power unit items are now frozen?
I also think Leclerc isn’t quite at the level of Max, Hamilton and now maybe Russell too when it comes to being at maximum performance without making mistakes. Perez is close too and Sainz has the most work to do there as he can’t quite get to the same speed and performance level either, and he still makes unforced errors.
If they can get it figured out, Mercedes may have the best chance to challenge Red Bull but they are in a big hole for points already.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Yet no one is concerned with Russell's back since he's had to carry Mercedes this year....

After the Baku race, Russell looked like he was ready to start another race right now, while Lewis looked like a seventy year old trying to get out of his car.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks like they have to change the rules when the show doesn't follow the script.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Looks like they have to change the rules when the show doesn't follow the script.

Looks to me like they aren’t really changing any rules, just telling the teams that they are the ones that need to fix it. Going to set limits for how much bouncing is allowed and it’s up to the teams to make it happen. The buzz is that this is very good for Red Bull, since they don’t have to do anything since they don’t have the issue, but bad for Mercedes, since it will likely make them run the car higher. Merc was wanting the FIA to let them use active suspension, or something else not currently allowed. In other words, change the rules. What they got was the FIA saying the teams need to fix the issue on their own, while staying within the current rules. Probably also bad for Ferrari, but Ferrari is pretty much self-destructing on their own.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Seems like they got this one right. The teams with porpoising issues are going to have to figure it out, but it's not going to penalize the teams that already have it under control.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think the FIA got this one exactly right and Mercedes have shot themselves in the foot.

Mercedes came out with a different design concept they thought would result in an advantage. Fair enough if it had worked. It didn't and to compensate and manage the performance problems they need to lower the ride height to a level that results in very harsh behavior that could harm the drivers.
They were demanding that all teams be required to raise their cars so they wouldn't suffer a further disadvantage.
I don't blame Toto for that, he's looking out for Mercedes best interest like a lawyer would for their client.
The FIA have called his bluff, and rightly so. Let's see how they and other teams react.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
F1 is violent. Here's 1990 Senna compared to Lewis 2019 in a much more compliant car. Senna's head looks like a pinball caught up between bumpers.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

That complaint doesn't make sense. If the FIA makes some team fix the oscillations, it will be by raising the ride height, which will slow the car down. (Think - if raising the ride stopped the porpoising and didn't slow it down, they would do it voluntarily.) So the cars with problems will get slower if they are forced to make changes.

This would probably hurt racing, as it will make some cars even less competitive. I doubt this is something anyone really wants to do. But Mercedes, in particular, made a design error, and may pay even more of a price.

Your complaint would only be valid if the FIA ordered changes to all cars, even the ones not having porpoising problems. They aren't doing that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Halfway through FP1.

Alfa pace seems to have returned, Bottas outrunning the Mercs
Aston got a nice pace improvement, keeping in the top 1/3 of the grid
Ferrari looking bouncy on the straights

Track seems to be rubbering in really quickly, lap times dropping constantly.

Alonso the shocker to be that high on the M tire.
Aston finish higher than expected
Alfa dropped down the order, hoping that's not a trend for the season & they can keep up with development.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Too bad there wasn’t rain for the race. Another snooze fest

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post