SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the race. Max has found his stride, and I hope he can maintain it. He said it felt like his car was on rails!! Bottas finally had a good race, as did the Ferraris. I was hoping that Russell could hold out for his first point, but Alonso had a faster car, and tons more experience. I feel sure that Williams is pleased with him......as would other teams.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a good race, Max wins again - he is just on a roll the past few races

nice to see Ferrari make some progress again this race

the best part was having Chinstrap denied a podium

and yea, the stewards need to stifle their urge to assign penalties for doing what they're supposed to do - which is race

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Anyone but Chinstrap. Hopefully in five or six years I’m not saying anyone but Max…

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Engine/PU meeting over the weekend in Austria:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...c-component/6626213/

quote:

Following a summit of major manufacturers – including Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, Audi and Porsche – at last weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix to discuss the new rules, an outline concept of what F1 should look at was discussed.

And while the specifics will take many months to formulate, Wolff says that F1 is doing the right thing in sticking with turbo hybrid power units that run on fully sustainable fuel.

Speaking at the FIA Conference in Monaco on Monday, Wolff said that there was consensus that F1 could not go back to loud combustion engines.

“The discussion was ‘what are we doing in the future in terms of engine’, because we want to save costs, so we don't want to reinvent the wheel,” he said.

“But we also want to have an engine that is relevant from 2025 to 2030, and we can't be old petrol heads with screaming engines when everybody expects us to be going electric.

“So these engines are still going to be fuelled. We are staying with the current V6 format, but the electric component is going to massively increase.”

F1's current power units feature both an MGU-K and an MGU-H, but there have suggestions the sport may abandon the MGU-H because of its cost and complexity. That would then open the door for a more powerful kinetic component to be used.

One of the core components of the new hybrid generation of engines will be running on sustainable fuels, which car manufacturers believe will be hugely important with cars continuing to use combustion engines for many years to come.

Wolff added: “Why we are staying with the internal combustion engine is that we believe that the fuel is going to be with us for a long time.

“In Europe we may have the ambitious targets of having electrical mobility as part of our daily life by 2030, and I can see at Mercedes how ambitious the targets are, but in the rest of the world, we will have millions of vehicles that would still run on fuel.

“For Mercedes cars itself, we believe that we will have several million vehicles in the world that will still run on fuels. So what we can contribute with our innovation is to help them to develop sustainable fuels: be it biofuels or be it synthetic fuels.

“Our cars will run on 100 percent sustainable fuels by 2025, and this is how we will contribute to the reduction to the world's CO2 emissions.”

Wolff said that there was growing evidence that F1’s innovation in finding sustainable solutions and driving the technology forward was something that was attractive to the younger generation of fans.

“If you look at F1 today and large audiences that follow us, especially the younger audiences, our strongest growing group is the 15 to 35-years-old,” he said.

“I was in Austria this last weekend, it wasn't so great on the track, but it was impressive to see a full house. We had 115,000 spectators. And what I've seen is a younger audience like never before in Formula 1.

“And I believe for these younger audiences, Formula 1, and we made a survey, stands for innovation and high tech. We may be going a little bit away from gladiators.

“But the kids in the younger generation see it as flying fighter jets around the racetrack, so we must never forget that high tech innovation is part of our DNA.”

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like talk from the marketing department.
I'd like to see each team pull out their cars from 10 years ago with today's drivers and do a demo race and see which the fans liked best.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll wager that at least 95% of F1 fans don’t give a damn whether the fuel used is sustainable or not. They just want to see racing. All of this is just pandering to the wokies, especially a certain driver.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The current cars may be faster, but not much tops the banshee V10s
Mazda 787B is about the only racecar that comes close for aural delight, IMO.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
RIP, Carlos Reutemann.
Drove for the great teams of the era and came close several times. Won pole position at his first race. Saw him race in the 70's at Watkins Glen in a very dangerous time.
We'll have to overlook that he became a politician and at one time seemed to be headed towards the Presidency of Argentina.

https://racer.com/2021/07/07/c...reutemann-1942-2021/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RIP

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2022 Promo car to be revealed Thursday ahead of the British GP

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
“Yeah, no it’s terrible. It’s shit, it’s worse.” - Ricciardo Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Lando Norris mugged and McLaren watch stolen after Euro 2020 final

Formula 1 driver Lando Norris was mugged and his team-issued watch worth £40,000 stolen after the Euro 2020 final at Wembley on Sunday.

The 21-year-old was returning to his McLaren car in an official Wembley car park when he was attacked by two men.

A McLaren statement said Norris, fourth in the world championship before this weekend's British Grand Prix, was "unharmed but understandably shaken".

There were witnesses to the incident, which is being investigated by police.

No other property was stolen.

He posted a message for well-wishers on Instagram, saying: "Thanks for all the messages everyone. Thought I'd let you know that I'm doing well and trying to make sure I'm ready and in the right zone for this weekend to perform at my best.

"Love you all and can't wait to see so many of you back at the track this weekend x."

McLaren said: "The team is supporting Lando and we are sure that racing fans will join us in wishing him all the best for the British Grand Prix this weekend.

"As this is now a police matter we cannot comment further."

Norris, who was a guest in a corporate box, is friendly with a number of the England players, who lost the match on penalties after the game against Italy ended 1-1 after extra-time.

Police made more than 50 arrests at Wembley on Sunday after supporters clashed with each other and officials, and breached security cordons before the start of the match.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
The Euro at Wembley was pretty bad. They estimate over 4,000 non-ticket holders got in before the game even started with strong arm and gate jumping. No security, no police because they venue did not pay for police. Free for all, and yeah young kid was a target. Awful, he and no one should have had that but we are back to the 80’s but worse with thugs, etc. Hate to see, but parts of Europe are now like Chicago, Baltimore. Sad.

Let’s focus on Silverstone, a race I always enjoy. Once of the better balanced tracks with high speed and corners.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
New car debut today. Big difference to the current crop. The wings are a bit odd, but definitely interested to see how the teams interpret it into their designs.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Well it sure wasn’t one of his two RMs at that price.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
All are likely aware that the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne, Victoria, has been cancelled for a second straight year due to “restrictions and logistical challenges” relating to the Covid-19 pandemic. The race weekend at Albert Park was due to start on 18 November 2021.

Ricciardo is disappointed as he envisaged a home win in front of locals.

Melbourne has the F1 since 1996, from Adelaide.
There are some businesses in Adelaide, who are proposing a bid.

Meanwhile, the Victorian state government is making a determined effort to keep the Australian (tennis) Open in Melbourne. A higher and more prestigious pursuit.

Uh-hmmmm.

</chris>

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
2022 F1 Promo Car debut yesterday:

Some comparisons to the '21 cars
I'm assuming they've scaled the '22 car to match the wheelbase(s) on the '21 comparisons

And, '21 liveries on the '22 promo car

posted Hide Post
Much bigger wheels and tires on the new cars. They look a bit strange to my eyes.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Much bigger wheels and tires on the new cars. They look a bit strange to my eyes.

Moving to 18" from 13".
Supposedly it'll simplify suspension, as they don't have to cope with such an elastic sidewall. The larger diameter overall, will take some adjustment.
The front wheel wingless are supposed to tame the dirty sir of the air hitting the face of the tire & the wheel covers to stop the disruption of air blown through the wheels.

Halo looks better integrated with the chassis & the team renders make the nose look less platypus-like.

I'm guessing the promo car isn't to race spec, as I don't see any DRS on the rear.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of it so far.

Don't know why the rear spoiler has to look like a memory foam pillow.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post