SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

In F1, in Qualifying, if you impede another driver, you'll usually lose 3 grid spots...a bit more serious than IndyCar

Maybe. And yet a race infraction in F!, particularly one as significant as the Lew/Max get together turned out to be, ten seconds?

By Rule, agreed to by all the teams at previous meetings, the Race Stewards are not the consider the results of a violation when accessing penalties.

There were two things they could have issued,a 5sec or a 10sec penalty...they issued the more severe of the two

Based on what the race commentators said, there were other possible penalties, including a 10 second stop-and-go. What he got was the second least severe penalty.

I mis-typed,...well, incomplete typed...what he got was a 10 second stop-n-go. During his pit stop, he had to be completely stop for 10 seconds...there was an FIA official there timing it with a stopwatch...before they pit crew could touch any part of the car

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In F1, in Qualifying, if you impede another driver, you'll usually lose 3 grid spots...a bit more serious than IndyCar

Maybe. And yet a race infraction in F!, particularly one as significant as the Lew/Max get together turned out to be, ten seconds?

By Rule, agreed to by all the teams at previous meetings, the Race Stewards are not the consider the results of a violation when accessing penalties.

There were two things they could have issued,a 5sec or a 10sec penalty...they issued the more severe of the two

Based on what the race commentators said, there were other possible penalties, including a 10 second stop-and-go. What he got was the second least severe penalty.

I mis-typed,...well, incomplete typed...what he got was a 10 second stop-n-go. During his pit stop, he had to be completely stop for 10 seconds...there was an FIA official there timing it with a stopwatch...before they pit crew could touch any part of the car

That’s just a 10 second time penalty, not a stop-and-go. A stop-and-go penalty means you come into the pits, stay stationary for the required time, and then drive off with no work being done on the car. It’s separate from a pit stop.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s just a 10 second time penalty, not a stop-and-go. A stop-and-go penalty means you come into the pits, stay stationary for the required time, and then drive off with no work being done on the car. It’s separate from a pit stop.

In looking up the Regulation, this is what I'm finding:

Stewards have the power to impose various penalties on a driver if he commits an offence during a race. Offences include jumping the start, causing an avoidable accident, unfairly blocking another driver, impeding another driver when being lapped or speeding in the pit lane. Drivers may not leave the track without a justifiable reason, i.e. cutting a chicane on reconnaissance laps or in-laps to save time and fuel, and are not allowed to move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position. The two most common types of penalty are the drive-through penalty and the ten-second time penalty. In the case of the former, the driver must enter the pits, drive through the pit lane at the pit-lane speed limit and rejoin the race without stopping. Depending on the length of the pit lane this can cost a driver a significant amount of time. More severe is the ten-second time penalty (also commonly known as a stop-go penalty) where the driver must not only enter the pits, but must also stop for ten seconds at his pit before rejoining the race. During this time the driver’s team are not permitted to work on the car.

https://www.f1cfa.com/f1-drivi...ol-and-penalties.asp

I've seen the penalty that you describe, but I thought that was in IndyCar

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've seen the penalty that you describe, but I thought that was in IndyCar

Not common, but have seen the no pit service, stop/go used. Think there was one earlier this season even.

The time penalty service stop is much more common.

IIRC, the stop/go is usually required to be served within a certain number of laps, where the penalty doesn't require a stop & can added at the end.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
As a somewhat casual F1 fan, who only in the last year has started watching every race, I thought it was a helluva race.

Watching Max and Lewis go at it off the line was amazing. Watching Lewis chase down Charles was amazing. I have watched many a race that were less thrilling than this one.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Is it Mercedes you hate or Hamilton, or both?

Are you ever not this way jhe888?

I am confused by your violent reaction to something that has no real effect on your life. That includes who wins the race and my comment. It is just a sporting event. I am a bunch of words on the internet to you. Nothing more.

I understand being interested in the race. I am too. But nothing that happens in an F1 race in England will make me want to "ram it up his ass" or angry enough to say it, even if I don't mean it.

So, instead of saying that I think you are foolish for having such an emotional reaction to a car race and letting it upset you to that degree, I asked you a smart-assed question.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
IndyCar will delete your fastest time if you balk someone in qualifying and take you fastest two laps and stops you from advancing to the next round if you cause a red flag.

I would have given Lewis a stop and go for that douche move that he knows was a douche move and very dangerous. But it’s irrelevant now because he served his penalty and won the race.

What is bullshit is pit crews working on cars during a red flag. Red flag means the race is paused. No one should be working on anything in the pits and I wonder how long that rule is going to stay in place. It’s another reason why this is a constructor’s sport instead of a driver’s sport.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

So, instead of saying that I think you are foolish for having such an emotional reaction to a car race and letting it upset you to that degree, I asked you a smart-assed question.

I noted legitimate problems with choices and the outcome of this race. I owe you no explanations as to why I care. It's none of your business and yeah, more than smart assed, you were ugly. But I guess you and I have been through this before, haven't we? Quoting you from this previous thread --

"If you could set aside your antipathy towards me, you might have understood this."

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...5/m/4940019274/p/296

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

"If you could set aside your antipathy towards me, you might have understood this."

That wasn't addressed to you.

But, I take your point and will try not to be unpleasant in the future. My apologies.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks, jhe88, I gotta respect someone who's lasted for 50,000 posts. Most of the time, you're more helpful than not, end of story. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
As a somewhat casual F1 fan, who only in the last year has started watching every race, I thought it was a helluva race.

Watching Max and Lewis go at it off the line was amazing. Watching Lewis chase down Charles was amazing. I have watched many a race that were less thrilling than this one.

I thought it was fairly entertaining as well. I really don't give a rat's ass who wins any of these races, other than I rather have it such that the wins are spread out amongst MORE teams. But in the end regardless of team, it's just a bunch of very wealthy toads flittering away who knows how many hundreds of millions if not billions and loads of resources just to have a frickin' TWENTY cars run around a track for an hour and a half on any given Sunday.

But it's purportedly considered a sport, and sport in theory is supposed to provide entertainment. The British GP actually did that quite well. I will say that IMHO it would've been a better, even more entertaining storyline had someone other than same ol' M-B or Red Bull won, not that I particularly care for that team dressed in red from Maranello. That said, it was fascinating following Ferrari's lack of tire blistering throughout the race and Leclerc's sometimes balking engine electronics, yet they still showed enough excellent pace and nearly won the day.

One thing I've decided to vehemently dislike is the awarding of a point for fastest lap. Racing's equivalent of the Miss Congeniality award. Whatever. This whole exercise of pitting for and wasting a set of new tires just to snatch a single point...contrived BS drama that just dilutes what's supposed to be important: just WIN, baby. As soon as Sunday turns to Monday, the typical casual fan isn't going to make an effort to commit to memory who finished second, let alone who took fastest lap.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:

One thing I've decided to vehemently dislike is the awarding of a point for fastest lap. Racing's equivalent of the Miss Congeniality award. Whatever. This whole exercise of pitting for and wasting a set of new tires just to snatch a single point...

I have to agree with you on this. Now that you bring it up, has anyone beside Mercedes or Red Bull taken the fastest lap? If it's not Lewis or Max, then it's Valteri or Sergio pitting with 3 laps to go to get those fresh tires and grab that point. I cannot recall seeing any other team or driver get this point.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:

One thing I've decided to vehemently dislike is the awarding of a point for fastest lap. Racing's equivalent of the Miss Congeniality award. Whatever. This whole exercise of pitting for and wasting a set of new tires just to snatch a single point...

I have to agree with you on this. Now that you bring it up, has anyone beside Mercedes or Red Bull taken the fastest lap? If it's not Lewis or Max, then it's Valteri or Sergio pitting with 3 laps to go to get those fresh tires and grab that point. I cannot recall seeing any other team or driver get this point.

I'm not a huge fan of the FL point either, but RE the tires, I don't believe they can be carried forward to the next race.
I recall last year's Australian GP, an article about all of the tired being wasted, as they cannot be dismounted & remounted; so they all had to be disposed of.

So, if that's the case, I don't see it as 'wasting a new set of tires'.
At Silverstone, Perez grabbing the FL was strategic to take it away from LH & MBZ, since Perez wasn't in the points.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
WTF1 does a primer on common penalties

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that you bring it up, has anyone beside Mercedes or Red Bull taken the fastest lap? If it's not Lewis or Max, then it's Valteri or Sergio pitting with 3 laps to go to get those fresh tires and grab that point. I cannot recall seeing any other team or driver get this point.

Not this year so far. But last year, fastest lap points went to Norris, Sainz,Ricciardo (twice), and Russell

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Now that you bring it up, has anyone beside Mercedes or Red Bull taken the fastest lap? If it's not Lewis or Max, then it's Valteri or Sergio pitting with 3 laps to go to get those fresh tires and grab that point. I cannot recall seeing any other team or driver get this point.

Not this year so far. But last year, fastest lap points went to Norris, Sainz,Ricciardo (twice), and Russell

Likely, because, they have a pit stop of a gap behind them & can afford to take new tires without much risk of losing a position.

Midfield & lower teams don't have that luxury & as such won't take the risk.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Oops... (?)

Yeah, That isn't how I thought the first five laps would go.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yes!

That wasn't how I thought it would end!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was fun.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
That was one heck of a race to watch!