SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, his incessant complaints when there was nothing to be done for it. Just let it go, get to the driving & talk about it later.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Each team is only allowed a small amount of time after qualifying to check over their cars. I believe that it is something like 1-2 hours. After that, they can not be near the cars.

True, but if you're concerned about it, you can 'break curfew' & take a penalty.
Lose/lose in this case.
Inspect further, break curfew, take penalty.
Replace gearbox, break curfew, take penalty.

From what I read, Ferrari has a list of things to be checked according to what was involved(car wise) in the accident. The list didn't include the driveshaft hub, so they thought they were good to go, and didn't want to lose pole at Monaco.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mercedes has been posting videos done with their technical department about why certain things were done (strategy and otherwise) or not done and explaining things that went wrong. Pretty interesting stuff to hear all that goes into things and how they analyze everything.
This leads me to the Bottas situation. They have shown what went wrong, as they see it, in the Monaco pit stop that lead to his retirement from the race. They almost never criticize individuals, even obvious mistakes, but point out that he stopped slightly short of his marks and say that was a major factor in the problem. This makes me wonder if they aren't setting up his replacement.
Watching a lot of other stops along with the Bottas Monaco stop, often someone is at least slightly off their marks. He was maybe 12" short and the angle of the air gun wasn't obviously at an unusual angle. In fact I've seem a lot worse with the only problem being that the car has to be rolled a bit to reach due to the length of the air hoses. Other than that brief delay of a few seconds, no other issues.
Watch the video around the 15 second mark from overhead. He is a little to the right but looks on the marks fore and aft to me.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...557529638863591.html

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, looking at the LF wheel, specifically the axle, it's just about on the 0 mark. L/R shouldn't make any appreciable difference nearly as much as F/R.
That, and I've seen some blatantly off the mark stops that went through with just a slight delay. Usually it's the wheel gun man that has to shuffle to the side a bit.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
LeClerc is a little scared he has some gearbox damage. I think he'd be OK for this race since he hasn't hit his gearbox limit. I do prefer the IndyCar rule that if you bring out a red flag during qualifying, you 2 fastest laps are deleted and you don't make it out of that qualifying session. It gives you more incentive to take care of your car and not to screw over anyone else.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Baku, a lot different track with that long straightaway.
I'm sure they will be a lot closer when it really count's, but Mercedes has some work to do.
The shorter practice sessions make for more action as they can't sit around the first half hour and get everything done.
FP3 will tell a lot more tomorrow.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mercedes' pace today was a bit shocking.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
FP1 and FP2 are confusing at Baku. Teams have two short programs (interrupted today by a lot of incidents) to get qualifying trim and race trim/full fuel runs sorted. I was watching Peter Windsor and he noted for example that McLaren was running full fuel and mediums on a faster pace than Ferrari, and Ferrari despite being fast on Softs/Light fuel were eating their rear tires on full fuel. It is a long track so minor setup differences are having a big difference. Curious to see where this ends up and will not count out the Mercs. Baku looks like more a game of chess right now because there is plenty of chance to overtake. FP3 will be the real sign of Qualifying pace.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Baku '21 is looking like what everyone expected the inaugural race to be.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In other news:

https://racer.com/2021/06/04/t...et-to-be-called-off/

(UPDATED) Two U.S. F1 Races a Possibility After Singapore Cancelled
Chris Medland June 4, 2021 10:09 AM ET

Formula 1 could host two races in the United States this year as a replacement for the Singapore Grand Prix, which has been cancelled.

The street race in Singapore in October was called off on Friday, leaving a vacancy on the calendar on October 3. Formula 1 is looking into alternative options, and RACER understands that a second race in the United States is a possibility, with other movement expected later in the calendar.

Singapore was originally followed by Japan before the switch to Circuit of The Americas, but with further uncertainty regarding the COVID situation in Asia – as well as Mexico and Brazil, which sit immediately after COTA’s date on the current schedule – there could be a reshuffling that results in two races being held in Austin this fall.

The only other venue in the U.S. that could host a race is Indianapolis, which holds the necessary FIA Grade 1 license. When discussing the usual clash between the Monaco Grand Prix and Indy 500, F1’s managing director of motorsports Ross Brawn recently told RACER that Roger Penske’s ownership was a positive in terms of working with both IndyCar and IMS.

“And of course Indy on that side of things, is being run by an old friend of ours now in Roger Penske, and Roger’s always had an interest in Formula 1 and been involved at times in Formula 1, so there’s very real possibilities for collaborations in the future,” Brawn said.

Races in China and Turkey that were due to take place earlier this season are also in contention to be slotted into later positions, having been listed as postponed rather than cancelled completely.

“We understand that our fans were looking forward to another edition of the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix,” Colin Syn, deputy chairman of the Singapore GP said. “To cancel the event for a second year is an incredibly difficult decision, but a necessary one in light of the prevailing restrictions for live events in Singapore.

“We would not be able to deliver a full event experience fans have come to expect over the years, while safeguarding the health and safety of our fans, contractors, volunteers and staff. Ultimately, we have to be responsible, cautious and prudent as safety is our number one concern.

“We are grateful for the support of Singaporeans, stakeholders and local businesses who have helped contribute to the success of the night race. Needless to say, we look forward to the safe return of Formula 1 racing against the spectacular Marina Bay skyline.”

The race organizers add that they are in discussions with F1 regarding the event’s future.

This story has been updated from the originally published version to reflect the subsequent confirmation that the Singapore race has been canceled, and also to acknowledge IMS’s FIA status.“

And for the funny:

https://www.grandprix247.com/2...y-service-in-russia/

Mazepin Facing Mandatory Military Service in Russia
5 June, 2021

Nikita Mazepin may have to take a break in his Formula 1 career as the Russian army expect him to do 12-month mandatory military service at some point in the near future.

For the 22-year-old, like all males 18 to 27 years of age, 12-month military service is compulsory in Russia which may disrupt his journey in the top flight. Mazepin has also been forced to race with a neutral flag thanks to his country’s doping shenanigans.

The Haas rookie will be expected to attend regular training camps as part of his one-year conscription, which will be a tough ask for a driver committed to 23 Grand Prix weekends this year.

Under the banner of ‘Together again. The economy of a new reality’ during this past week’s St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, Uralchem boss and Nikita’s deep-pocketed father, Dmitry Mazepin told delegates: “Nikita has 23 races, and they tell him that he needs to join the army.

“They told him he had to be present at the training camp regularly, there would be no exceptions. He has a race every two weeks. How does he do it? Who do I ask this question to?

“And I’m not talking about Nikita Mazepin alone but about everyone, athletes and professionals in the same situation. The issue of education and sports is relevant,” TASS news agency quote Mazepin, majority shareholder and chair of Uralchem Integrated Chemicals Company, who spoke at the Forum.

If no arrangement is made to accommodate Mazepin junior’s career in F1, the harsh reality is he may have to miss races when he reports for his military service.

Avoiding the “universal military obligation” or “liability for military service” is a felony under Russian law and is punishable by up to 2 years of imprisonment.

The exceptions are to conscription are rural doctors and teachers, men who have a child younger than three years and full-time students who graduated from civil university and had military education as a subject. Mazepin ticks none of those boxes.

How this pans out remains to be seen. Money talks in most instances, as does influence but dealing with military may not be a pushover for the Mazepin camp who have paid handsomely to have young Nikita on the F1 grid.

An enforced lay-off to accommodate the Russian army is a spanner in the works that the beleaguered Haas team do not need and another obstacle the much-maligned Nikita hardly needs as he tries to build his career and reputation in the F1 spotlight.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
VERY excellent race today in Baku. I’m a bit gutted for Max, but I love that Chinstrap has no one to blame for his fuck up but himself. Also very happy to see Checo getting to grips with the Red Bull. He’s been a real surprise.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Unfortunate for Stroll & Max.
Glad for Seb & AM.
Weekend to forget for MBZ.
Not sure what happened with GR on the restart, looked like coasting with no power.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Good for Vettel and team, feel bad for Max and Lance. Those tires should not have blown and Pirelli will need to figure something out - that could have been a bad deal for both. Curious why Checo had to stop so quickly after finishing.

Mercedes needs to regroup as a team - they hung Bottas out to dry IMHO in qualifying and some curious strategies in race. Add in Hamilton’s mistake and will be interesting to see how they regroup.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Perez car had some technical issues they nursed to the finish and almost caused him to not finish.
Bottas is clearly the redheaded step child there now. They hung a parachute on his car this weekend to be sure he knew his place.
Vettel starting to look more like the old days now, as long as he keeps up the momentum. Didn't hurt that he saw where the Ferrari's ended up either.
Pirelli and the FIA will be busy this week, figuring out their next move.

Both Max and Lewis had reasons to be both happy and sad during the last 5 laps. Could have been a big points swing for either one. As it was, it ended up a draw. The others are too far behind on points for it to make a lot of difference right now.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
That was one heck of an exciting last 5 laps.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

In other good news, Red Bull is pulling clear of Mercedes in the Constructor’s Championship:

1 RED BULL RACING HONDA 174
2 MERCEDES 148
3 FERRARI 94
4 MCLAREN MERCEDES 92
5 ALPHATAURI HONDA 39
6 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 37
7 ALPINE RENAULT 25
8 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI. 2
9 HAAS FERRARI 0
10 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0

There’s also a very tight fight between Ferrari and McLaren for 3rd place. This year is turning out much better than expected.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A great drive for Perez, dogged the whole race by Lew Lew after jumping LH with a better pit stop.

Lewis was bitching the whole race and looks to have lost his patience by the end. Hammy's biggest mistake since all those years ago when he beached it on the little triangle of gravel at pit entrance, whatever race that was, Hamilton in the middle of a title fight. Today was a true red mist moment, confidence now that little bit shaken, good times. Smile

Good to see Vettel smiling, I wondered if he'd use two index fingers or one V, he went both ways. Very enjoyable race, Baku looks good on tv but seems spooky and evil for some reason.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that was a great race, was so disappointed for Max blowing a tire - wanted him to win and get even further ahead of Chinstrap and his ponytail

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
that was a great race, was so disappointed for Max blowing a tire - wanted him to win and get even further ahead of Chinstrap and his ponytail

The Max incident would've been markedly different, had the car gone L instead of R.
From the replays, had it gone L, he'd have been in the angled pit entry wall & that looks like a much more severe impact.

Glad both MV & LS got out unscathed & that LH didn't get a runaway points haul.
Bottas was just nowhere all weekend. Hoping France is a turnaround for him. He needs a win to claw back some of the points deficit.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

The Max incident would've been markedly different, had the car gone L instead of R.
From the replays, had it gone L, he'd have been in the angled pit entry wall & that looks like a much more severe impact.

Glad both MV & LS got out unscathed & that LH didn't get a runaway points haul.
Bottas was just nowhere all weekend. Hoping France is a turnaround for him. He needs a win to claw back some of the points deficit.

Baku pit entry --

Indy a few years back --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post