SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
^^ Go to the other side of the garage & root Bottas to the title, instead of Hammy.

Rooting for a guy the team isn't going to let win? Brilliant idea. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
quote:
^^ Go to the other side of the garage & root Bottas to the title, instead of Hammy.

Rooting for a guy the team isn't going to let win? Brilliant idea. Roll Eyes

We'll see where things stand after a few races.

Putting it on pole today is a good start.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like to see Bottas take the fight to Hammy, but even with getting pole, it’s hard to figure what it means to the rest of the season. Bottas 2.0 started strong in 2019, but then faded. That said, I don’t think Mercedes will handicap Bottas to help Hamilton win. In fact, they might be happy if Bottas wins, because they can use that in Hamilton’s contract negotiations. I think Hammy will have to beat Bottas fair and square this year.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
According to T Wolff, for whatever it's worth, both drivers are on equal terms until 1 is the clear leader in terms of the WDC.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Happy race day everyone!

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
He completely wins because of his ride. For 2007/2008 the best car on the grid was the McLaren Mercedes and he was Runner Up and Champion. Then he was a mid-pack loser getting schooled by Jenson Button in the same car.......

I have stated before I support Lewis, but his current bullshit a la Kaepernick has led me to root for Bottas.

On your point I quoted above, you are wrong.

In his 13 years, he has been outscored by his teammate just twice (2016 and 2011), and the teammate has had more wins and podiums just once (2012). You make a big deal over him getting schooled by Jenson Button over their three years they overlapped at McLaren, but... Lewis scored 10 wins vs Jenson's 8, Button had 23 podiums vs Lewis's 22, and Jenson edged Lewis slightly on points (662 vs 657). Jenson retired just 6 times in those three years, while Lewis retired 11 times. The breakdown of those retirements are as follows:
Jenson - 2x powertrain, 2x crash (other), 1x crash (self), 1x team error (ice bag in radiator at Monaco)
Lewis - 5x powertrain, 3x crash (other), 3x crash (self)

As for the 2007 McLaren being the best car, lest you forget McLaren had 166 points stripped away for their scandal, yet Ferrari scored 204, and had the championship wrapped up with two races to go, and won 9 of 17 races.

In 2008, Ferrari also won the constructor's championship by 21 points, and won 9 of 18 races. Lewis won the drivers world championship by 1 point because Truli was on slicks and lost traction in the last curve of Brazil as the rain began to fall. That was luck, at best, not the car.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granted, the race is half over, but this season is shaping up to be a McLaren v Racing Point highlight reel.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Norris takes third!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The race was a clown show, but the last 15 laps of the race was absolutely phenomenal!

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Oh, the red and white ones too?

Certainly wasn’t dull.

eta - glad to see Lando has studied Eddie Irvine video on proper champagne priming!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Chaotic race. Pretty insane to have so many mechanical retirements.

Happy with the end result.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The first three drove really smart races. Some others, not so much.
Lando is showing some good second year improvement.
Albon was clearly way ahead when the contact was made and Norris & Leclerc did it right soon after.
Good win for Bottas too.
Lando stole the extra point and position from Lewis at the end.
Let's see how or if the teams adjust this week. A rain race next week would make things interesting.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The first three drove really smart races. Some others, not so much.
Lando is showing some good second year improvement.
Albon was clearly way ahead when the contact was made and Norris & Leclerc did it right soon after.
Good win for Bottas too.
Lando stole the extra point and position from Lewis at the end.

I agree with all of this. I think Sainz and Perez ran a good race too.

Lewis made a mistake, and should be really glad all he was handed was a 5 second penalty. If it was a 10 second penalty, it could have been 6th place. Albon had the advantage, had fresher rubber, was quicker, and got hosed by Lewis.

Sebastian made a silly move, and paid dearly for it, but I agree it was a racing incident. Leclerc is going to be the real deal, and he seemed very comfortable in the car.

Lando is the man, and I am very glad to see him improving. Not sure if I would say he stole that from Lewis, but he certainly gave it a hell of a run and was rewarded accordingly with fast lap and the podium. I'd give him the driver of the day.

F1 Coverage through their plan was not bad for $2.99/ month. It was glitchy for the first 3-4 minutes, but once it seemingly buffered, there were no issues.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Albon/Lewis: A bit of shared blame, IMO, though more on Lewis' side. In the onboard, Lewis never unwound the steering & held his line, but probably could've tightened up to leave space.

Vettel: I never saw that move happening. He came in from pretty deep into what was definitely not going to be a gap by the time he got there. Curious if he's really motivated this season.

Pretty interesting how much pace the Ferraris lacked over the weekend. They've said their first updated won't happen until Hungary.

Hopefully, Mercedes figures out the trans sensor issue & Bottas can widen the points gap this weekend.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
What will be really interesting is how much can they do to the cars in 3 days to address issues that came up in actual race conditions.

I see the next race as one of the more interesting races in a while...as it is basically a rerun of the last one. Teams will have seen how their origin plan might have been flawed and how they address them. They'll also have an opportunity to address small lapses in procedure.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ferrari has announced they are sending parts that were scheduled for Hungary to Austria for this weekend.
Curious to see how much that will help straight line speed as Haas is slow there too. Ferrari was said to be losing .7 seconds on the straight but didn't seem to have any downforce advantage either.
I wonder if anybody will have to do gearbox replacements as that part seemed to be a problem for many too.
Renault engines looked pretty good last weekend on both reliability and power (Ricciardo's issue was lack of cooling).

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Albon/Lewis: A bit of shared blame, IMO, though more on Lewis' side. In the onboard, Lewis never unwound the steering & held his line, but probably could've tightened up to leave space.

I initially thought the same thing, until it was explained that F1 steering is not just the wheel, but also the acceleration. Having the F1 TV Pro streaming open, it shows that data, and Mr Lewis was hard into the throttle, meaning the steering could only move the car so much. It also showed Lewis looking at his left mirror, meaning he knew Albon was there.

My guess is that Mike Masi saw that same data and the shared it with the stewards.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

I initially thought the same thing, until it was explained that F1 steering is not just the wheel, but also the acceleration. Having the F1 TV Pro streaming open, it shows that data, and Mr Lewis was hard into the throttle, meaning the steering could only move the car so much. It also showed Lewis looking at his left mirror, meaning he knew Albon was there.

My guess is that Mike Masi saw that same data and the shared it with the stewards.

Thanks for the extra info. Some heavy throttle induced understeer could explain him not needing to unwind the steering to get the car to drift outward & close the door on Albon.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Toto also said he was at full lock. Realize that track doesn’t require a Monaco steering setup but it didn’t look like this was true. ??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Ferrari can just give Leclerc a competitive car for next week and the rest of the season, I think there will be some great racing......he impresses me this year.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post