SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 235
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the crazy Brits and the way their press works isn’t gonna steer me away from anything. They’re just nuts!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12501 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Newey's leaving Red Bull.

No big surprised or drama, at least from him.

Why not, he's 65 with a good retirement fund no doubt? He's know for having the golden touch and why's a good reason to risk that again, for a new spec car ('26) he seems to not like much?

He's commissioned a world class sailboat to his specifications and that doesn't need to sit quietly at a dock somewhere.

If he wants, he could come back anytime he wants to pretty much any team he wants.

Maybe he's just had enough and wants to enjoy retirement and all that he has earned. There are worse things to do.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...m-red-bull-confirmed

Posts: 9659 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newey leaving Red Bull seems to have been the worst kept secret over the past few weeks. It constantly keeps getting repeated that he was more than a little disgusted with Horner over the scandal. Or perhaps maybe that he believes the girl rather than Horner over the incident, or possibly that he actually knows something incriminating. Whatever the reason, he's done with RB for now.

He has said in the past that working for Ferrari would essentially be a bucket list sort of opportunity. Curious if he'd go there, or perhaps go work with Aston and Alonzo.

-MG

Posts: 2081 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saw somewhere that he's pretty much ruled out going to Aston.
Rumor that he met with Vasseur earlier this week in London.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15555 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
While Ferrari may be a bucket list item for Newey, I just don't see him doing anything more than consulting since he hates and despises intra-team politics, and there is no other team (even current Red Bull) that has more intra-team politicing than Ferrari. He's probably going to have the same issues that John Barnhard did when he was working for Ferrari.

Posts: 4336 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hopefully he's going to pack a bag and go sailing. That will frustrate the lot of them!

Building the Oyster

Posts: 12501 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I didn't see this in The Lair, but things are getting a little more intriguing:

https://racer.com/2024/05/01/u...dretti-f1-situation/

quote:
U.S. Congress weighs in on Andretti F1 situation

Chris Medland May 1, 2024 1:06 PM ET

Members of the U.S. Congress have written a letter addressed to Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei to express “concerns with apparent anti-competitive actions” that could stop Andretti Global’s bid to enter Formula 1.

Andretti has partnered with General Motors on a prospective F1 team, but has so far been knocked back in its attempts to join the grid by Formula One Management (FOM). While the entry was not completely rejected, FOM stated it would only consider Andretti’s application for 2028 when GM intends to build its own power unit.

Mario Andretti had stated talks were planned between the team and FOM at this weekend’s Miami Grand Prix, but was present in Washington on Wednesday following the publication of the letter from a bipartisan group of members of Congress, led by Republican John James who represents a district in Michigan.

“FOM’s rejection appears to be driven by the current lineup of European Formula 1 race teams, many of which are affiliated with foreign automobile manufacturers that directly compete with American automotive companies like GM,” the letter reads. “It is unfair and wrong to attempt to block American companies from joining Formula 1, which could also violate American antitrust laws.”

The 12 members call for responses to three specific questions, asking:

* “Under what authority does FOM proceed to reject admission of Andretti Global? What is the rational for FOM’s rejection, especially with respect to Andretti Global and its partner GM, potentially being the first American-owned and America-built race team?

* “The Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 outlaws unreasonable restraints on market competition to produce the best outcome for the American consumer. How does FOM’s denial of Andretti Global and GM, American-owned companies, square with Sherman Act requirements, since the decision will benefit incumbent European racing teams and their foreign automobile manufacturing affiliates?

* “We understand that GM intends to re-introduce its Cadillac brand into the European market, which would support thousands of good-paying American automotive jobs, especially with Formula 1’s worldwide audience and its halo effect on its racing teams and sponsors. How much did GM’s and Andretti’s entrance into racing competition taking a portion of the racing market share and GM’s entry into the European market taking market share each play into the decision to deny admission to the Andretti Global team, given the public outcry of incumbent Formula 1 teams against a new American competitor?”

The letter requests responses by Friday, May 3, although does not appear to reference FOM’s own statement outlining its reasoning for focusing on 2028 for any Andretti Global entry.

Explaining its standing alongside the FIA in determining whether to add a new team to the grid, FOM stated in January: “The process set out in the invitation provides that both the FIA and the Commercial Rights Holder must consider an application suitable in order for a new entrant to be selected.”

FOM also added that Andretti’s need to use a compulsory power unit supply from Renault in 2026 and 2027 before GM’s own power unit was ready “would be damaging to the prestige and standing of the Championship,” while it claimed Andretti’s brand would benefit from being in F1 more than F1’s would by accepting Andretti’s entry, and suggested an 11th team would “place an operational burden on race promoters” due to the space at certain venues.

“We would look differently on an application for the entry of a team into the 2028 Championship with a GM power unit, either as a GM works team or as a GM customer team designing all allowable components in-house. In this case there would be additional factors to consider in respect of the value that the applicant would bring to the Championship, in particular in respect of bringing a prestigious new OEM to the sport as a PU supplier.”

Formula One Management Ltd — a company registered in the UK — and Liberty Media have yet to provide a response to the letter.

Posts: 4336 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure what to think of the Andretti situation. Other than the last thing we need is some politicians in DC getting their fingers into the Formula One world.

As far as the Andretti team itself, They haven't shown much in recent years to make themselves look capable of being a credible F1 entrant. They are competing in a spec car series but have struggled for years to do more than have an occasional top finish, even with driving talent that seems capable. They do compete in some other series but I don't follow them closely enough to know how well they are run and those series aren't F1 level.

The GM connection shows they should have the funding and the earlier idea of buying an existing team for a start was sound but then failed to happen. I guess we'll just have to wait to see how things develop.

Posts: 9659 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I think GM is like Ford - they think they understand what they are getting into, and have admittedly done well for themselves in endurance racing. I just expect that when the going gets really tough and $ doesn't convert directly to winning or competing at front they will bolt.

Perhaps the budget cap helps them not leave because they suddenly figure out they have to pour another $600MM in, but still F1 is operating at a whole different level of challenges.

Our legislature has no business involved in this.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is that thanks to Zach Veach and Colton Herta, Gainbridge got bit by the racing bug and was infected quite badly. As such, they've dumped a lot into Andretti Autosport now Andretti Global. They own Wayne Taylor Racing who's won the IMSA Championship multiple times and seem to be where Cadillac is going to run their factory Hypercar program and Andretti's Formula E team has won that championship with Jake Dennis.
Their IndyCar team is going through some growing pains and they're building a new HQ and selling their current one to Arrow McLaren for them to move in either end of 2014/early 2015 which should help both teams greatly along with using their UK Headquarters to run teams in F2 and F3 to help out Americans to get experience in the European Ladder System.

A lot of this could have been avoided is Stefano Dominicali wasn't a fuck up that drove Ferrari into the ground after Jean Todt made them world beaters and the only thing worthwhile he did at Lamborghini was make an SUV and put an F Duct on a Huracan. If he didn't pussy out and tell Andretti that "maybe" he can come in in 2018 instead of saying we'll take you at the pay in rate.

There's also a big advantage by going the all new route that hasn't been discussed much. I found an interview at Motorsport.com with Otmar Snafnau about an unintended result of the cost cap that Andretti would avoid by buying a team:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...-szafnauer/10604594/

quote:
Cost cap “inequities” have triggered F1’s divided grid, says Szafnauer
Formula 1’s divided grid is the consequence of "inequities" that have existed within the cost cap, reckons former team boss Otmar Szafnauer.

Jonathan Noble Apr 29, 2024 at 3:47 AM

While the introduction of a spending limit for teams in 2021 has helped compress the field, with the front to the back of the grid having never been closer, this season has witnessed an interesting split among the competitors

The top five squads – made up of Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin and Mercedes – have appeared to break away from the back of the pack, which has helped them effectively lock out the points-scoring positions.

With all teams limited to the same cost cap restrictions, this divide has prompted some intrigue about the causes. Former Alpine and Aston Martin team boss Szafnauer thinks there are elements of the spending restrictions that have been the catalyst.

In particular, he thinks some teams have done much better at restructuring themselves to make the most of cost cap opportunities, at the same time as legacy infrastructures advantages have also been locked in.

Speaking at an event to promote his new EventR itinerary management app about why he felt the field has split, Szafnauer said: “There's a couple of areas I can think of.

“One, which I experienced, is there are some teams that have done a better job at cost cap structure. They can spend $10-15 million more than some others, and you have to remember this is at the margin of performance.

“Say that $15 million more that you've got, because of the way you organised yourself, you can buy more talent, or you can do other experiments that the other guys cannot do.

“Plus, although there's an OpEx (Operating Expenditure) and a CapEx (Capital Expenditure) cost cap, I think on the CapEx side, we inadvertently froze some inequities.

“There are some tools that the bigger teams have, and that the little ones are now trying to catch up and gain. And it takes time, because it was like $36 million over four years or something.

“I remember we faced this at Alpine. We couldn't buy what we wanted to buy, we had to do it over time. And the big teams, when they knew the cost cap was coming, because they had the money, they just bought all the stuff [there and then].”

Szafnauer said there were aspects of critical car performance that were reliant on teams having plenty of spending capacity left in the cost cap if they wanted to maximise returns.

“I'll give you an example,” he said. “Some of the teams run floors that are transparent, So you can actually see the flow, while others don't. They bought that stuff before.

“As a small example, when I was talking to my aerodynamicists [at Alpine], they said: We need a transparent floor, so I can actually see what's going on. Others have it!”

Szafnauer also thinks that one aspect totally outside the cost cap is important too – driving talent.

“Toto [Wolff] is always saying it, but the best drivers want to be in the best teams,” he added. “So that adds a little bit too, as you still have the best drivers in the best teams.”

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
In other news: Cool

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15555 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Six Episode Miniseries coming sometime in 2024. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Whenever that Imola anniversary pops up, I've got to post something about Roland Ratzenberger out of habit.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
It constantly keeps getting repeated that he was more than a little disgusted with Horner over the scandal. Or perhaps maybe that he believes the girl rather than Horner over the incident, or possibly that he actually knows something incriminating.

I've read several articles which link his displeasure to the constant stirring of the pot by Marko and Max's dad

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14218 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lance isn't worthy of a drive so daddy buy a team.
Mikey isn't worthy of a team so daddy lobbies Congress.

PS: General Motors (GM) has paid back about $39 billion of the $49.5 billion invested in the 2008–2010 auto bailout, leaving taxpayers with a $9.5 billion loss.

Posts: 2548 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've read several articles which link his displeasure to the constant stirring of the pot by Marko and Max's dad

The British tabloid press, which is all of them, makes the National Enquirer look like Pulitzer Prize quality writing. They have been stirring the pot constantly since this whole saga started.

Jos and Marko are both slime as far as I can tell and bring little to the party. Horner put this whole thing together from the start and had those two forced on him for other reasons, kind of like living with the in-laws.

Newey appears to be on good terms with Horner and so far we don't know the real story and nothing the rumor mill has thrown at him has stuck. Maybe there's more, maybe not.

Max is talking very nice about staying at the team right now and why not? The cars will be updates next year with the big change in '26 and so '25 cars will just be refined versions of today's. He has a year on his contract too.
The Red Bull car should still be the equal if not better next year so why wouldn't Max wait to see what develops elsewhere as everyone wants him anyway?

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In addition to the godawful track, Charles LeClerc Austin Powers himself on track in P1 to such a degree that the event had to be red flagged. At least Williams finally have their 3rd chassis!!

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Max is talking very nice about staying at the team right now and why not? The cars will be updates next year with the big change in '26 and so '25 cars will just be refined versions of today's. He has a year on his contract too.
The Red Bull car should still be the equal if not better next year so why wouldn't Max wait to see what develops elsewhere as everyone wants him anyway

I throught his contract ran through 2028

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14218 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It ran through 2025, but apparently his agent (who happens to be Eddie Jordan of all people) was also to negotiate a release without a Gardening Leave. At least that's what's been reported.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...er-warning/10605425/

Here's the key part:

quote:
While Newey originally had a contract that ran until the end of 2025, and had a further non-compete clause that could have sidelined him for another 12 months, his legal representatives have agreed with Red Bull to an earlier parting of ways.

Red Bull has announced that Newey’s contract will end in the first quarter of next year, with it understood that from March he will in theory be free to join a rival outfit.

Red Bull is being extremely nice to Newey if all this is true.

As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
The Red Bull car should still be the equal if not better next year so why wouldn't Max wait to see what develops elsewhere as everyone wants him anyway

I throught his contract ran through 2028

Max’s contract does run through the end of ‘28 but there are some bail out clauses that would, under certain circumstances, allow him to leave Red Bull early.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6383 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Lando!!!
Finally and a great race too.