SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... 230
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Got to watch the start before I had to head to work. At least that made it seem interesting. Watching the highlights after work last night it appears that there were some interesting battles, but as always the fights for who finishes second (or in this case, third) are rather anticlimactic. Props I suppose for the "old dude" getting on the podium, but Max is Max and even a tight venue like San Paulo can't reign in his propensity of making every F1 race boring in the Big Scheme of Things (aka winning).

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, interesting/exciting start.
60-or so laps of meh, exciting finish.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Coulda been a little more exciting. It seems a lot of fans managed to "break the security lines and accessed the run off area at turn 1 while the race was finishing and cars were still on track..."

No on-boards have surfaced yet, not so mysteriously.

https://forums.autosport.com/t...e-thread/?p=10435704

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8348 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AM has to know for a fact that Alonso is STILL the real deal and definitely earns his money.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I thought it was one of the best races of the season. The race for third was epic! ala Senna and Prost back in the day.
Plus I think Interlagos is one of the best laid out tracks in the circuit.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

It's not a Tilke track. That's why.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

It's not a Tilke track. That's why.

Agreed, it's one of the greats.
Spa, Suzuka & Silverstone too

For a Tilke, I do quite like COTA.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus it runs counterclockwise. Like a proper New World track should. Razz

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Those last few laps and even the race to the flag were pretty exciting. Dang that was fun.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
HAAS is suing F1 over the results of the USGP and their apparent lack of uniformly applying penalties for track limit excursions. This is because the camera at turn 6 wasn’t oriented correctly. HAAS has obtained onboard footage from all the teams and shows multiple off track excursions which according to HAAS would have resulted in several 5 second penalties being applied to several drivers and would have resulted in Kevin Magnuson finishing 7th instead of 11th. The difference is worth tens of millions…

https://youtu.be/UUFXazT-Kig?si=-M3up_LiLb3u7Ul0

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

The difference is worth tens of millions…

Yes it is. Ample reason to wade into legal action.

Posts: 8348 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I hope they don't actually start calling penalties after the fact that affect results weeks ago. Hours ago is painful enough.

Almost no sport would do this. Get the calls right initially, or live with the consequences.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
You know, for a minute there I was a little worried the pending strike would interfere with the race in Las Vegas. But hopefully they are getting it sorted out.

Link to Article

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A couple from another forum I'm on:

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
HAAS is suing F1 over the results of the USGP and their apparent lack of uniformly applying penalties for track limit excursions. This is because the camera at turn 6 wasn’t oriented correctly. HAAS has obtained onboard footage from all the teams and shows multiple off track excursions which according to HAAS would have resulted in several 5 second penalties being applied to several drivers and would have resulted in Kevin Magnuson finishing 7th instead of 11th. The difference is worth tens of millions…

https://youtu.be/UUFXazT-Kig?si=-M3up_LiLb3u7Ul0

quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

The difference is worth tens of millions…

Yes it is. Ample reason to wade into legal action.

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I hope they don't actually start calling penalties after the fact that affect results weeks ago. Hours ago is painful enough.

Almost no sport would do this. Get the calls right initially, or live with the consequences.

FIA Rejects HAAS Appeal

quote:
Last week it emerged that Haas had lodged a petition with the FIA to review various track limit breaches in Austin, asserting that several drivers had benefited from abusing track limits at COTA's Turn 6, that were not properly policed by race control.

Afterwards, several teams raised questions after seeing onboard images of competitors apparently crossing the white line, including Sergio Perez, Alex Albon, Logan Sargeant and Lance Stroll.

In an initial response, the FIA acknowledged that there had been "indication for possible track limit infringements in Turn 6" but without sufficient evidence to hand out penalties.

Haas disputed this, however, and launched a right of review procedure which hinges on the party in question providing new, significant and relevant evidence that wasn't available at the time.

Haas moved to ask for a right of review as in Sargeant's case a five-second penalty would have seen him lose his point for 10th place to Haas driver Nico Hulkenberg.

The hearing ran across Wednesday and Thursday and involved the respective team managers of Haas, Red Bull, Williams and Aston Martin, as well as representatives from Ferrari and McLaren.

Haas submitted on-board footage from Perez, Albon, Sargeant and Stroll allegedly crossing track limits in Turn 6 on several occasions, as well as footage from cars following Albon through the corner.

But the Austin stewards also present in the hearing decided that, contrary to Haas' point of view, those videos were already available to the team at the time of the original stewards' decisions on Sunday night, which absolved Albon and finalised the race classification.

The FIA panel therefore rejected Haas' request, meaning the matter is now closed. If the FIA had agreed that Haas' evidence qualified for right of review, the team would have been granted a subsequent second hearing to review the race result.

The stewards did agree that the evidence against Albon was significant while dismissing the evidence against the other three drivers and judging that none of the evidence presented was new or relevant.

They re-iterated that the images were available to them, but were not considered sufficient evidence due to the lack of fixed CCTV footage.

The stewards therefore couldn't penalise Albon or other drivers for alleged Turn 6 offences, but they stressed the importance of finding better track limits solutions in the future, a process which is already underway.

"[The stewards] find their inability to properly enforce the current standard for track limits for all competitors completely unsatisfactory and therefore strongly recommend to all concerned that a solution to prevent further re-occurrences of this widespread problem be rapidly deployed," said the hearing statement.

"Whether the problem is properly addressed by better technology solutions, track modifications, a combination thereof, or a different regulation and enforcement standard, the stewards leave to those better positioned to make such assessments."

Track limits issues have plagued F1 in recent years, with this year's Austrian Grand Prix a particular low-point as stewards faced the near-impossible task of reviewing over 1200 potential breaches. The final result was declared nearly five hours after the chequered flag.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
1-off Ferrari Livery for Vegas

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Listening to the Las Vegas race president talking on F1Nation podcast today about the temps, she explained the lower range of temps and suggested that folks come on out and by some F1 or LBGT hoodies.

Wait - what? That's a bold move Cotton!

Rewind and what she really mumbled poorly together and someone should have coached her up on months ago was "LVGP"
Razz

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Even still, those hoodies are probably priced over $200 for an XS.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Safety Car lap

Saw the lap from Safety Car at link above.

It looks a bit like Singapore, some like Miami, not terribly great IMHO at one glance. In particular some of the efforts to extend/contour the shape of the corners with a bollard stuck out in the middle of a lot of roadway looks clunky at best. I predict those get blasted over the fence in each session with folks clipping the artificial apex.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Rude race start time and perhaps record low temps for an F1 race. Lots of concern about tire temps as a result. Quali problematic with maybe two laps needed to get temps up and a caution filled race likely. Set your VCR's.