SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 242
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I mostly hate city street courses but LV may turn out decent. Nice speed, wide generally, could be fun. We'll see coming up but I am optimistic.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen so far, I'm pretty pessimistic on it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Surprised there hasn’t been more drafting but hopefully the race will involve a lot of passing opportunities.
The late night and early morning run times are annoying.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That accidentally turned into a great race. Next year, hopefully they'll trade places with Qatar so the temperature extremes won't be an issue.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Better race than I was expecting.
Hope all's well with Lando, that was a solid thump.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^

I haven't seen any followup to the race. What happened to Lando, his fault or car failure? All I saw was an onboard of him throwing a lot of sparks and leaving the track.

And good for Las Vegas, entertaining race. The town and our country need some good pr.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Lando was released an hour after the race ended. Nothing was mentioned, but they might have been concerned he had a minor concussion, but nothing of the sort happened.

https://racer.com/2023/11/19/n...uations-after-crash/

quote:
Norris released from hospital after Las Vegas GP crash
Chris Medland
November 19, 2023 2:47 AM ET

Lando Norris has been released from a local hospital following “further precautionary investigations” after a heavy crash early in the Las Vegas Grand Prix.

On lap 3 of the race, Norris lost control through the high-speed Turn 10 and Turn 11 section, swapping ends and hitting the barrier on the outside of the track before sliding into the run-off area where he hit another barrier. Norris was able to climb out of the car and said “I’m OK” over team radio, but the FIA then confirmed he was taken to hospital after an initial assessment at the track.

“Following the incident involving Car 4, the driver self-extricated and was transferred to the circuit Medical Center, before being taken to University Medical Center for further precautionary investigations,” a statement from the governing body read.

Team principal Andrea Stella then confirmed that Norris had been released, with the driver returning to the circuit a little over an hour after the race had finished.

“Lando has been discharged; all checks are negative,” Stella said. “So, good news on Lando’s side.

“There’s a bump in that place. There’s a bump and you can see all cars spark when they go through this bump, and I think the combination of this bump and the cold tires might have surprised him. Otherwise we don’t see any issue with the car or of a different nature.

“In fairness, it’s the same bump for everyone,” Stella noted. “So it just depends on your speed, the condition of your tires, how your car is positioned over the bump there, the position of the car ahead, so there are multiple factors. Just maybe Lando made the assumption that there was enough grip, but it’s a very tricky place. I’m sure all drivers will comment that that’s something that needs to be fixed.”

And here's the Comedy Review:

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looked like Lando lost the rear under braking & couldn't catch it

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think they have a G sensor built into their earbuds and anything over a certain number requires a mandatory check.
There is a bump at the apex and speculation was his tire pressures were low still due to the temperature. Others were having oversteer issues there at very high speeds and he just got caught out.
Perez must be dreading the last lap after recent races.
Hopefully next year they will adjust the time to something more normal. I guess they are trying to use the night time look as part of the show and it is spectacular, but tough to get used to for me.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
100% it was so it was under the Vegas lights.
But, they could start the race an hour or two earlier, make it more palatable to the locals & still not terrible for the Euro market.

Source I know that's involved with the paddock assembly told me the tire warmers had the grid nearly maxed out.they had to bring in a couple generators to ease the load.
Also, something about it all being 50hz instead of our 60hz electric.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I thought it was shockingly good, and was blown away by the course they created. I can’t even imagine how much money they spent to create all that: the barriers, lighting, fences, stands, pits, etc., etc. Did anyone hear what was spent to create all that?

Posts: 13547 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I thought it was shockingly good, and was blown away by the course they created. I can’t even imagine how much money they spent to create all that: the barriers, lighting, fences, stands, pits, etc., etc. Did anyone hear what was spent to create all that?

I heard something over 700 million

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14245 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I heard a few figures thrown out over the weekend, between the total cost & what F1 spent on just the permanent paddock area.

posted Hide Post
Watched the race off the DVR tonight; quite entertaining even though I already knew the results. Despite the problems that were encountered leading up to the event, the actual race was enjoyable to watch; lots of passing, action and loads of very humanizing mistakes. Sometimes it good to see these purported paragons of motorcar racing muck it up every once and a while. As a spectator I do believe it's clear that the circuit itself was primarily responsible for the high degree of competitiveness in and entertainment value of the race. How ironic, considering how much vitriol was spewed about the venue prior to the actual race going off.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The cool temps & that 1.x mile run down the strip likely put a lot of the drivers into a cool brakes/tires situation that they don't often experience.

Surprised that there wasn't more attrition.

I do agree that a swap with Qatar could help with the temp situation with both places & would have them closer to UAE for the finale, and would still keep the Americas triple header together.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Better than expected for sure.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
What happened to Lando, his fault or car failure?

Answering my question. Well, maybe not but at least acknowledging there are answers needed.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Yes, McLaren did have a really bad weekend by recent standards and Lando's crash just locked it in for his side of the garage.
Bad timing or strategy in qualifying to start and then unfortunate timing, a bump with Hamilton and/or bad strategy for Piastri meant all his good work was going to end up being wasted for minimal results.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That's a wrap.
Cruise control drive for Max, but some strategic scraps behind.
Max had enough points, on his own, to win both WDC & WCC.

Now the 3 depressing months of no racing...

Also, my DVR initially showed the ESPNU recording, with the kids' commentary Confused
Luckily, it recorded the main broadcast on ESPN as well. Thank you YTTV.

Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I have to say that Max winning all the time gets pretty boring. Hopefully, some team (Mercedes, I hope) can give Red Bull something to worry about in 2024.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1629 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post