SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 230
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This had to be one of the best strategic races in recent memory!

I think with Red Bull in the midfield at the start the other teams really believed that they had a legitimate chance at winning and all brought their A game.

FERRARI
I saw the old Ferrari yesterday. It was all about the team and working collectively to win the race. The strategy exhibited by them yesterday was akin to the days of old when Ross Braun would tell Michael “please give me 4 more seconds” and he would crack off a blazing lap. Sainz gave a master class in managing the pace and maintaining the gap and he definitely deserved to win.

MERCEDES
I believe they had a great strategy as well and it was nice to see the drivers not whining for a change. They both believed that they had a legit chance to win but worked together for the greater good. I was really impressed with Russell’s driving…right up to the end where he just kissed the wall and ended his race.

RED BULL
I was at a loss to understand their strategy even though I understood it. They were planning on out lasting everyone on their hard tires in the first stint and then switching to mediums of even softs for the second tire. However, there was a major flaw with this strategy in that they failed to take into account the very real probability of a Safety Car (or 2) which is exactly what happened. Also, they definitely held the drivers out too long on the old hard tires which caused them to loose several places. I thought that they were going to hold on to lap 40 and then go to softs and sprint the last 22 laps but they switched to mediums which was confusing to me.

ASTON MARTIN
Not bringing any upgrades over the last few races, and particularly this one really hurt them.I’m wondering if they are spending all their money on their new facility and waiting until next year for any improvements to the car which is a mistake. Lance Stroll is a joke and even though Daddy is bankrolling the team he needs to be let go if they want to be taken seriously.

Overall a great race and I’m looking forward to Japan!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
They both believed that they had a legit chance to win but worked together for the greater good.

Not so sure, correct me it I'm way off. George earned the right to fight for that win, in quali and the race. Hard to keep focused with Hammy so aggressive on his tail. Hammy was in it for sure, any bobbles ahead and he might have won. But that was a long shot and dogging his teammate was entitled arrogance. LH even crabbed on the radio about GR needing to pick up his pace. How Could George do that? Yeah the Ferrari and Mac had well-worn tires but they still had big pace on the straights and, with DRS, no easy pickin's.

The incident was halfway thru the last lap, George's chances looked slimmer and slimmer but he was still in it and asking him to drive looking forward and backwards was unnecessary and unfair.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Russell's crash:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...-final-lap/10521674/

quote:
Norris hit the same wall as Russell on F1 Singapore GP final lap

Lando Norris revealed he struck the wall in the same place as George Russell on the final lap of Formula 1's Singapore Grand Prix, moments before the Mercedes driver crashed.

James Newbold Sep 18, 2023 at 4:09 AM

Norris finished second to Ferrari's Carlos Sainz at the Marina Bay circuit after a tense end to the 62-lap race, as fresher medium tyres brought Russell and Lewis Hamilton onto the tail of the two leaders struggling on older hard compound rubber.

In his efforts to keep Russell at bay on the final tour, Norris grazed the wall with his right-rear tyre at the Turn 10 left-hander but was able to continue while Russell's similar contact fired him into the barriers to lift Hamilton onto the podium.

Speaking immediately after the race, the McLaren driver explained: "I hit the wall on the last lap in the same place [as Russell], so I think he copied me and just did it even worse.

"So I feel for him, he fought a tough race."

Norris, who had run behind Russell in third prior to the Mercedes driver making a second stop under a virtual safety car, opined that Russell "was the quickest" driver in the race and revealed that his demise had made the end to his race more straightforward.

"It helped me a bit the last couple of corners, I could chill just a little bit more," he said.

Sainz remarked after the race that he felt "under control" on his way to becoming the first non-Red Bull driver to win a race in 2023, and Norris praised his former team-mate for allowing him within a second to fend off the Mercedes duo with DRS.

"Carlos was very generous trying to help me get DRS," said Norris, whose second place was his third podium of the season after identical results at Silverstone and the Hungaroring.

"He helped my race and I also helped his, so it was tough.

"We knew it was going to be tough as soon as the Mercedes boxed, especially with only a couple of cars for them to overtake.

"But we're on the podium, P2, we held them off. We did everything we needed to do and more. So super happy."

Posts: 4181 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Sainz says on the radio, "Give me the gap to Lando on every lap."

I think to myself, "Why is he worried about Lando?" "George and Lewis are going to catch them both before the race ends."

And when the catch happens Sainz had Lando in DRS to help hold off the Mercs. Damn!!! Dude was 5 moves ahead. Brilliant driving!!!

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
They both believed that they had a legit chance to win but worked together for the greater good.

Not so sure, correct me it I'm way off. George earned the right to fight for that win, in quali and the race. Hard to keep focused with Hammy so aggressive on his tail. Hammy was in it for sure, any bobbles ahead and he might have won. But that was a long shot and dogging his teammate was entitled arrogance. LH even crabbed on the radio about GR needing to pick up his pace. How Could George do that? Yeah the Ferrari and Mac had well-worn tires but they still had big pace on the straights and, with DRS, no easy pickin's.

The incident was halfway thru the last lap, George's chances looked slimmer and slimmer but he was still in it and asking him to drive looking forward and backwards was unnecessary and unfair.

I guess it all depends on what the broadcasters wanted to share as far as drivers communication with their pits. The Hampster was being the Hampster but I thought that the complaining was less than what I’ve heard in the past.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4181 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Poor move to pass on Lawson, I think. Hopefully someone will pick him up.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
We're still not sure if Perez will be back at Red Bull next year.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saw rumor that he could end up in Sargent's seat.

Lawson's definitely impressed & has had mote of a chance than deVries got with just 1 race last year.

The Enemy's gate is down.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Sergeant, he's now in full command of the 2023 Formula 1 Destructors Championship with his latest crash putting him over $3 million in crash damage for no points. I want to know when Williams will pull the plug on Sergeant due to cost cap considerations.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Speaking of Sergeant, he's now in full command of the 2023 Formula 1 Destructors Championship with his latest crash putting him over $3 million in crash damage for no points. I want to know when Williams will pull the plug on Sergeant due to cost cap considerations.

I've heard he brings a lot of funds to the team but how long can they put up with his learning and not learning? Costs them in crash damage and the points which also bring big bucks. Even someone with half the points of Albon would be a big upgrade.

Max has been on another planet all weekend, right from the first lap of practice. Good to see the McLarens not too far away and behind Max it's very close.
The Red Bull is so good right now, I'd be surprised to not see Perez in second by race end somehow. Strategy, tire wear advantage and just a faster car. If not, they surely have to wonder how long they can keep this up, similar to Williams and Aston but without the damages.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Tonight's race will be a race for second place. If MV doesn't win by 30+ seconds, I will be very surprised.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
While watching practice 3, the announcers got into an interesting exchange about track speeds. While they came to no conclusions they had two approaches, the drivers have to sort it out as professionals being the predominant one. But the idea that Pirelli is partially to blame since the tire degradation is so severe (1 lap at speed).

I had been thinking that the drivers had a identified 'location' that the offspeed car must be for each part of the track, but apparently this is just a gentlemans agreement. I really am amazed we have not had a high speed crash yet.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sergio, Sergio, Sergio. Didn't take him long to prove me wrong. Seems to be giving Sargent a run for his money, just at opposite ends of the grid.

If McLaren continue to close the gap the rest of the year, Red Bull will have to rethink how long they can put up with the lack of results and still win the Constructors championship, the part that pays the most.

Yuki's third season to start to get results and it's taken Lawson three races to beat him in a straight fight. No crashes either. Beginners luck?

Not much needed to be said about Max at this one.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
What a crashfest.
Some good scraps, but business as usual otherwise.

Also, never seen a driver retire the car & be allowed back out. Thought if you exit the car, you're out?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
What a crashfest.
Some good scraps, but business as usual otherwise.

Also, never seen a driver retire the car & be allowed back out. Thought if you exit the car, you're out?

Wouldn't be surprised to see that rule revised soon. Surpised no one saw that coming.

posted Hide Post
I’m surprised that they thought he might get a grid penalty next race. I understand what the rules say, but it’s a “may” get a grid penalty, not “will”. Don’t think I can remember anyone ever getting a grid penalty in the next race if retiring the car was the reason for not serving a 5-second time penalty during the current race.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, that would mean Sargent would be starting Qatar GP from Bahrain with penalties Razz

Maybe I missaw it, but it looked like Sargent took the formation lap then started from the pit lane? I'll have to go rewatch the start.