SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Most of them, from the onboards, are sure to pulls their hands to their chest just before impact.
I guess he was hoping he could keep it out of the wall & held on until it hit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I'm interested to see how Liam Lawson does. However, I'm shocked that Ricciardo got a broken hand from that. I'm used to hand injuries in IndyCar during crashes with no power steering, but this is a new one. I guess they'll have to teach F1 drivers to get their hands off the wheel if they're going to crash.

The other Indycar habit that needs top be taught is to not try to countersteer if the car steps out beyond a very small amount.
If you just keep it turned towards the inside of the track, the car will usually spin harmlessly down towards the inside. At the lower speeds (compared to real ovals) that will almost always be a better outcome.
The big hits in Indycars are when the driver does like Ricciardo did and the original car position is lower in the corner. The car ends up hitting the outside at close to a ninety degree angle. One of the few I've seen survive that in recent years was Sebastian Bourdais at Indy a few years ago, and he was lucky to survive without more serious injuries than he had.

This looks like a carbon copy, just at double the speed and a hard concrete wall instead of Techpro barriers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-UxZJpiDUM

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Nothing like a little rain to spice up a race. Even without that part there was lot's of action.
The Williams was amazingly strong and Monza's next week with it's high speeds.
Alonso was incredible, Stroll invisible all weekend but ended up 11th. Until his name appeared on the list, I thought he might have left early.
Ferrari better have a little more next weekend at Monza. They looked the worst of the top teams.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
One of the better races of the season, quite a few out of place running. Zhou in 2nd?!
Overall a fun race, the come & go rain definitely made it interesting.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carlos told Ferrari to get off his radio. I don't have a link, but during the race, Carlos Sainz basically told his radio crew to hush. Based on some of the strategy that the Ferrari team has made, I am of the opinion that Charles and Carlos believe their crew to be idiots and would rather not talk to them.
When Carlos told his crew to get off the radio, my wife and I both laughed. Are we dilusional that we both think Ferrari is run by clowns?

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
Carlos told Ferrari to get off his radio. I don't have a link, but during the race, Carlos Sainz basically told his radio crew to hush. Based on some of the strategy that the Ferrari team has made, I am of the opinion that Charles and Carlos believe their crew to be idiots and would rather not talk to them.
When Carlos told his crew to get off the radio, my wife and I both laughed. Are we dilusional that we both think Ferrari is run by clowns?

To be fair, many drivers over the years have told the pit wall to leave them alone, especially in situations like this. It was near the end, and they weren’t talking strategy or anything particularly useful to the driver at the moment. It was relatively useless information like it’s going to rain in 15 minutes, or “go get the guy in front”.

Who can forget Kimi’s famous “leave me alone, I know what to do” some years ago.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It was also with about 4 laps to go & Lewis hot on his tail, in less than ideal track conditions. I'd probably have a similar reaction

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I always liked Binotto. I felt that some of their miscues were attributed to him but I wonder now if they have a logistics problem. IIRC last year they told Carlos to box while he was racing for position. He said something like, "are you guys watching the race?"

Anyway, I do not think that getting rid of Binotto fixed Ferraris problem.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ It's as if Ferrari are using a computer or something for strategy and just accept its answers without thinking about it.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Ferrari is very seductive and attracts a lot of good drivers. They end up getting killed, mentally if not physically. It's been going on since Schumi.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Lawson to Race at Monza, possibly more, as Ricciardo recovers

quote:

AlphaTauri have confirmed Liam Lawson will continue to deputise for Daniel Ricciardo until the Australian is ready to return to racing.

Ricciardo broke his hand in a crash during second practice for the Dutch Grand on Friday, with Red Bull junior Lawson drafted in as a last minute replacement.

Lawson went on to qualify in 20th place for the race but acquitted himself well in the Grand Prix itself, managing to navigate one of the most chaotic races in recent memory to finish in P13, despite wet weather, red flags, Safety Car restarts and a penalty making his Formula 1 debut anything but straightforward.

Meanwhile, Ricciardo was flown to Spain to have surgery on his hand on Sunday.

posted Hide Post
They gave Alonso the right car for this race, and he did himself proud. He said the car was flying and he had that big smile on his face. Stroll now knows what a real champion looks and drives like.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Alonso was one of the only ones to take advantage & succeed at overtaking on the low line in T3

Also, Perez on fresh Inters at the start, was like he was F1 & everyone else was F3. The pace difference was astonishing.

posted Hide Post
Is Helmut going to keep Checo next year ?

Posts: 178 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: December 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Perez looked like a hero for a lap or two until Max got the same tires and made him look pretty second rate.
Hard to argue with pitting Max first later on to undercut Perez as having Perez in the lead is no guarantee as his later mistakes demonstrated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Perez finished 4th & is still 2nd in the WDC, granted 128pts behind Max, but still 33pts ahead of Alonso.
A bit kore consistency & he's a good wingman to stick by Max another year. I don't think any of the 4 AT drivers are ready for the big boy seat yet. Ricciardo hasn't had enough time in the car to prove he's still got it to replace Perez.

ETA: I also wouldn't be surprised to see him relegated to 3rd or 4th by the end of the season & at best get a 1 yr extension.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Monza One-Off Livery for Ferrari

quote:

Ferrari have shown off a special, tweaked livery that will adorn the cars of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz during this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Monza – the famous marque’s home race.

While the usual red colour scheme remains front and centre, it has been joined by additional flashes of yellow and black as seen on Ferrari’s 499P Hypercar that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans earlier this year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Monza One-Off Livery for Ferrari

quote:

Ferrari have shown off a special, tweaked livery that will adorn the cars of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz during this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Monza – the famous marque’s home race.

While the usual red colour scheme remains front and centre, it has been joined by additional flashes of yellow and black as seen on Ferrari’s 499P Hypercar that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans earlier this year.

A sad reminder of the only win that Ferrari will get this year.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

A sad reminder of the only win that Ferrari will get this year.

Ouch, but you're probably right. Big Grin
I'd think it'll be a Mercedes powered car to break the RBR streak, if anyone can. Maybe Norris or Alonso if I had to pick one.

posted Hide Post
Ferrari needs someone line Jean Todt again in the strategy department. Given how long they have been making mistakes I suspect is the Italian culture that prevents that. Look at Hannah at Red Bull she is a brilliant strategist, Ferrari will never hire a woman strategist or a good strategist for that matter.

Posts: 178 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: December 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post