SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 ... 245
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Let the euro crybabies start bitching:

https://racer.com/2023/10/02/f...cing-f1-application/

quote:
FIA approves 'Andretti Formula Racing' F1 application

Chris Medland October 2, 2023 11:13 AM ET

The FIA has formally announced it has approved Andretti’s application to join the Formula 1 grid, meaning the project is now able to proceed to negotiations with Formula One Management (FOM).

Expressions of interest from new teams were invited in February of this year, prompting numerous prospective teams to submit initial documentation. The FIA says four applications were then approved to advance to Phase 2 of the process, with a full application, evaluation and approval process now resulting in only Andretti – under the full name of Andretti Formula Racing LLC – being accepted as meeting the governing body’s criteria.

As the only team approved to move forward to Phase 3, Andretti will now be referred to FOM to discuss commercial terms, although so far there has not been a public expression of any desire from the commercial rights holder to increase the number of teams.

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem says the evaluation of each applicant was extremely detailed and in line with legal requirements, as well as satisfying the governing body’s remit to increase interest in motorsport.

“The FIA was very clear in establishing stringent criteria for entry from the outset of the Expressions of Interest procedure,” Ben Sulayem said. “Our objective, after rigorous due diligence during the application phase, was to only approve prospective entries which satisfied the set criteria and illustrated that they would add value to the sport.

“The FIA is obliged to approve applications that comply with the Expressions of Interests application requirements and we have adhered to that procedure in deciding that Andretti Formula Racing LLC’s application would proceed to the next stage of the application process. In taking that decision, the FIA is acting in accordance with EU directives on motor sport participation and development.

“Andretti Formula Racing LLC was the only entity which fulfills the selection criteria that was set in all material respects. I congratulate Michael Andretti and his team on a thorough submission. I also want to thank all prospective teams for their interest and participation.

“The Expressions of Interest process builds on the positive acceptance of the FIA’s 2026 F1 Power Unit Regulations among existing OEMs which has also attracted further commitment from Audi, Honda and Ford and interest from Porsche and General Motors.

“I would like to thank all of the FIA team members involved in the Expressions of Interest process for their tireless efforts in ensuring a diligent assessment of all of the applications received.”

A statement from Formula 1 following the FIA’s announcement simply acknowledged the decision.

“We note the FIA’s conclusions in relation to the first and second phases of their process and will now conduct our own assessment of the merits of the remaining application.”

Posts: 4457 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Was reading elsewhere about the Andretti deal.

So, they have been approved by the FIA, which means they can enter/race
But do not have an agreement with FOM, which from what I've read means they could be on the grid & racing, but get 0 TV coverage. Not sure how that affect things like points & $$

Will be interesting to follow, especially GM comes in as a PU provider via Cadillac as was rumored from the start.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Also interested to here what the EU would make of a decision of the FIA approving a team and FOM denying said team with everything they've done regarding groups and companies being anti-competitive.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I suspect there will be a lot of posturing, negotiations, some cash will change hands, and life will go on.

Posts: 9850 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And if we end up with 22 on the grid, I suspect a lot of cash will change hands.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If Lance Stroll wasn't son of Lawrence Stroll.
What a loser.
And Alonso qualified over a second faster in the same car too.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...urious-qatar-q1-exit

Posts: 9850 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And Bottas into Q3, even if it was on the errors of Perez Sainz & Norris. Cool

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
If Lance Stroll wasn't son of Lawrence Stroll.
What a loser.
And Alonso qualified over a second faster in the same car too.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...urious-qatar-q1-exit

Supposedly, according to The Race.com, Aston Martin expects Stroll to be 0.3 seconds slower than Alonso. At this point, how long before Daddy Stroll either sells up and out of F1 or move the kid over to the Aston Hypercar project in the WEC?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, whats a father to do?
Even when you're a billionaire, dealing with your children can be a daunting task.

Lance started out the season being within that expected deficit, even with a hand injury. That was OK then.
What's happened since around a third of the way through the season an unexplained decline, seems to be picking up speed and now he's in a completely different league.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sprint quali was a mess, so many track limits deletions, not all from the re-profiled T12-13.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
The battle for the Driver's championship is basically over.

Checo just spun out of the Sprint

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14255 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched the Sprint yet, but the sand & wind definitely seemed to be affecting a lot of the drivers

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The sprint was eventful, but in a good way.
The track limits issue never really came up, as should be the case.

Hopefully over the winter the powers that be in F1 can get together and find a better solution to that problem at track’s where it is a major issue.

Tomorrow’s a much longer race and tires appear to be critical with three stops mandatory. That means four segments to the race. May be hard to keep track of where everyone is until the last stop is complete.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Which is how it should be. A one stop race should never be possible.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Well that was chaotic, bummer for Checo, not his fault.
Cheers to Oscar, stellar drive

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Macs ascendant.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8585 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
So they will require tire stops every 18 laps or less.
Why haven't they simply created a curbing design that works and mandated all tracks use that design?
The whole track limits issue is getting old. That's not the way a race should be decided.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sainz DNS for the race, fault in the fuel system

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek Not how you want to start a race...
Reminiscent of Spain 2016

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Great race, IMO.
The extra mandated stops definitely kept it mixed up. Didn't expect so many lapped cars, though.

Double points for Alfa!

I think Pirelli/FIA should revise the tire regs. Give them buckets of grip, maybe back to prime/option, but a maximum lap count (without making it boring) and have more races like today.