SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Any thoughts about what's going on with Russell?

Other than his seeming drop in form/pace? He did well today, though it took him a while to get past the AMR.
The MB is still not a great car, I think, so they're both doing their best with what they've got. I think they were running different downforce pkgs this weekend as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A bigger question is why did McLaren had so much drag for a track that places a premium on straight line speed?
The pundits placed the blame on a rear wing they’re running. That seems like a simple enough thing to fix.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Norris got swallowed up. Was shocked to see how easily the Alfa got by him. Expected Alfa to struggle on such a high speed track, no points got a decent result for them. Zhou got multiple overtakes on the last stint.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It seems like drag is a recent McLaren problem. I'm not too sure if it's as big a deal or not since Norris had serious floor damage on Friday quali that I don't know if it was fixed, and Piastri went out on Lap 1.

As for Russell, it seems most of his problems are down to luck and getting shafted by Mercedes strategy during qualifying. He might be trying to overdrive the car to make up for it and causing more problems for himself.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^

I dunno. George had the best of Hammy last year, this year a complete opposite. And yeah, a lot has gone wrong for GR so there's that.

Going into last year Hammy was coming off the soul crushing end to the previous campaign, I don't think he recovered fully for some time. This year Hammy has upped his game I think, maybe spurred on by the geriatric Alonso's performance. FWIW this year and last, Sir Karen has produced more mental mistakes, in driving and attitude.

Still, Lew is fast, maybe GR has driven about the same and it's Hamilton whose performance has yo-yo'd. If it turns out George isn't getting equal treatment from the team, that wouldn't surprise me either. If George has been pushing too hard, now knowing he's too far behind LH in points to catch him and Russell can relax and go out there and produce the results I believe he has in him.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year, Russell did have the best of Hamilton in the first half of the season, when the car was bad. After Merc improved the car starting in Canada, Hamilton was out scoring Russell (even though Russell got their only win in Brazil). Same this year. Car started off bad, and Russell was winning. Improved starting at Monaco, and Hamilton comes back.

George does better in a poorer car. When they make improvements to the car, Hamilton does seems to do better.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
George does better in a poorer car. When they make improvements to the car, Hamilton does seems to do better.

Adding to that thought experiment, are the Mercedes upgrades providing more of a gain to Hamster's driving style vs. Russell's? They do have 8 years of data on while Lewis likes in a car.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
This was my thought as well, and could be partly to blame for Max's dominance over Perez.
Start the year at/near 0 & develop the car to suit your lead driver, with #2 having to just manage it.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I'm just wondering when F1 is going to lose all the Drive To Survive fans

I had the exact same question. I do not know what F1 can do, but they have to neuter Max, somehow. Him running away by 30 seconds every single race is not good for the sport overall. Even hardcore fans, like us guys in this thread, are losing interest.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^
Sounds like “equity” Roll Eyes

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
A bit off topic, but also a good video that describes one of the biggest problems F1 has right now.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That was a fun watch, even compared to the 2004 V10 cars, the current field is massive

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
I had the exact same question. I do not know what F1 can do, but they have to neuter Max, somehow. Him running away by 30 seconds every single race is not good for the sport overall. Even hardcore fans, like us guys in this thread, are losing interest.[/QUOTE]

The quickest way would be for Red Bull to provide a more capable and competitive teammate.
In other dominant seasons, Mercedes had Rosberg, Red Bull had Webber, Mclaren had Prost, Williams had Mansell.

The rest of the field is very competitive. After this year, Red Bull will be handicapped with more restrictions and Perez will look even weaker.

If Perez and someone like Ocon and Gasly were the Red Bull drivers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I can't stand the book, Verstappen: The Whiney Prima Donna, he does look like he fits the description of one of those "generational talents" that sports media types seem to love to harp and wax poetically about. He's one of those obviously talented types that doesn't just merely want to win, but venomously abhors the notion of finishing any place but first. Like Senna. Like Schumacher. Considering his age, short of some devastating injury or some sort of collapse of Red Bull, he's set himself up to be the dominant driver in F1 for the next decade. Even if F1 steps in and tries to 'rebalance' the field, all they can realistically do is revamp the rules for everyone and hope that Adrian Newey decides to retire...or develops dementia...

Or they can hope that Verstappen gets bored of all this domination stuff and decides to try his hand at some REAL driving, like WRC. Wink I'm sure young Kalle Rovanperä would love the chance to show Max a thing or two about what it takes to win at rallying.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I read earlier this week, some talks of F1 adopting balance of performance (BoP) like WEC uses.
Really hope they don't do that.

If anything, bring back something like the token system where teams can make some midseason upgrades on frozen aspects like the PU, with maybe some cost cap allowances attached to it.

But, IMO, don't throttle the leaders for finding the route to the best car.
Instead, allow the lower teams to improve & catch up.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A little fun during the Summer break from Red Bull and Johnny FPV --

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
HAAS: Retains Mag/Hul for 2024

quote:
​​​​​​​
Haas have opted for continuity next season, as they announced Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen will continue to race for them for a second successive season in 2024.

Hulkenberg has been impressive on his full-time racing return to Formula 1 this year, the German reaching Q3 six times in 12 races and scoring the team’s best finish – seventh in the Australian Grand Prix.

Magnussen has scored two of the team’s three points finishes – a brace of 10th places in Saudi Arabia and Miami – in his sixth season with Haas.

Between them, they have 346 Grand Prix starts, and it is that experience Haas will hope can help take the team to the next level – the American squad currently eighth in the constructors’ championship, the same position they ended the 2022 campaign in.

“I think it’s safe to say that we’ve had an extremely solid driver pairing this season in Formula 1 and ultimately there was no reason to look to change that moving forward,” said Team Principal Guenther Steiner.

“Kevin is obviously a very well-known quantity to us, and I’m delighted he’ll return for what will be his seventh season in Haas colours. With 113 starts for our team alone, we know where his strengths lie and his knowledge and experience of our organisation pairs very well with that too.

“On the other side of the garage, Nico’s simply slotted in without fuss or fanfare and proved himself to be a valuable member of the team. He’s approaching 200 starts in Formula 1 and we’re very happy to be the beneficiary of that experience behind the wheel.

“We’ve had to tackle our issues this season with regards to the VF-23, we don’t hide from that, but we’ve been extremely fortunate to have had two drivers whose feedback is invaluable in assisting our engineering objectives.

“Kevin and Nico gelled well right from the get-go and together they’ve both scored points, and in particular, Nico has excelled in qualifying – getting into Q3 on six occasions.

“Having not raced in Formula 1 full-time since 2019 that shows you just how professional he is and how he’s looked after himself physically. Of note is also just how much energy both drivers bring to the table, they’ve been fantastic not only in terms of their engagement within the team, but critically, in our partner activations and fan facing opportunities.

“Kevin and Nico are clearly enjoying their time in the sport, they both have mature heads on their shoulders, and they fundamentally understand what it is we’re asking of them.

“In turn, now it’s down to us as a team to look ahead to 2024 and ensure we have a car that’s capable of scoring points consistently.”

Magnussen added: “I’m obviously very happy to see my relationship with MoneyGram Haas F1 Team extended once again. My return in 2022 had been unexpected but was filled with numerous highlights, and although this season hasn’t gone quite as we’d hoped, we’ve still managed to get into the points and shown potential in the package we have.

“There’s plenty of racing remaining in 2023 and we’ve got a lot of work to do to continue to understand the VF-23 – that learning can be applied into the 2024 car. My thanks, as always, go to Gene Haas and Guenther Steiner for giving me the opportunity to keep racing in the sport I love.”

Hulkenberg said: “It’s nice to get things sorted early for next season to just keep the focus on racing and improving performance. I enjoy being part of the team and share Gene and Guenther's passion for it. We're competing in a very tight midfield and I’m looking forward to building on what we’ve done together so far and taking that forward into 2024.”

The duo will resume the 2023 season, following F1’s three-week summer break, when they get behind the wheel of the VF-23 at Zandvoort for the Dutch Grand Prix.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I think Hulkenberg could really be a good stable driver for Haas, but they seem to have trouble making speed.

I really enjoyed practice this morning. Was great to see them back on the track.

SUMMER break is over Smile

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Lawon to replace Riccardo for Dutch GP

quote:

Daniel Ricciardo has been ruled out of the Dutch Grand Prix due to a broken hand sustained in a crash during Friday practice, handing Liam Lawson his F1 debut with AlphaTauri in the process.

Ricciardo followed Oscar Piastri – the man who replaced him at McLaren for the 2023 season – into the barriers at Zandvoort’s Turn 3 in the early stages of FP2, putting him out of the session on the spot.

In the replay, that wheel did a 360* nearly instantly as the wheel hit the barrier.
Can't imagine that felt good from that alone, then having it fling your hand around the cockpit.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I'm interested to see how Liam Lawson does. However, I'm shocked that Ricciardo got a broken hand from that. I'm used to hand injuries in IndyCar during crashes with no power steering, but this is a new one. I guess they'll have to teach F1 drivers to get their hands off the wheel if they're going to crash.