SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ... 230
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If they [Andretti] field a new team, they've already said they'll be bringing Herta over from Indy (assuming he qualifies for a Super license, that is).

Seems buying into a team is the easier route & Haas the most likely, with the suspension of UralKali.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Official FIA Statement on Russian Drivers

quote:

The FIA has taken the decision to allow Russian and Belarusian drivers to compete under a neutral flag, following an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council on Tuesday.

The meeting, announced by FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem to discuss “the ongoing crisis in Ukraine”, concluded with the decision that Russian and Belarusian drivers would be allowed to compete in top-level motorsport, so long as they do so under a neutral flag.

The FIA President said: “As you know, the FIA is watching the developments in Ukraine with sadness and shock and I hope for a swift and peaceful resolution to the present situation.

“We condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine and our thoughts are with all those suffering as a result of the events in Ukraine. I would like to stress that the FIA, together with our promoters, proactively acted on this matter last week and communicated accordingly on the Formula 1, Formula 2, WTCR and the International Drifting Cup. An updated version of the different FIA International Calendars will be presented to the WMSC meeting in Bahrain for approval.”

The full statement read:

"Council members approved the following, in line with the International Olympic Committee recommendations, with immediate effect:

-No international/zone competitions to take place in Russia and Belarus, until further notice

-No flag/symbol or anthem of Russia/Belarus to be used in international/zone competitions, until further notice

-No Russian/Belarusian national teams to participate in international/zone competitions (e.g. FIA Motorsport Games), until further notice

-Russian/Belarusian drivers, individual competitors and officials to participate in international/zone competitions only in their neutral capacity and under the “FIA flag”, subject to specific commitment and adherence to the FIA’s principles of peace and political neutrality, until further notice

-No Russian/Belarusian national symbols, colours, flags (uniform, equipment and car)- should be displayed or anthems should be played at international/zone competitions, until further notice

-Representatives from Russian/Belarusian FIA Members to step aside temporarily from their roles and responsibilities of elected officers/commissions’ members*

-No FIA grant to be awarded to the Russian/Belarusian FIA Members, until further notice*

-No existing FIA grant funding will be paid to the Russian/Belarusian FIA Members*

-Upon proposal of the F1 Commercial Rights Holder, cancellation of the 2022 Russian F1 Grand Prix for reason of Force Majeure.

*Subject to the approval of the World Council for Automobile Mobility and Tourism"

The FIA President added: “I want to thank the Council members for their prompt action in deciding these measures in the interests of sport and peace. We stand in solidarity with Leonid Kostyuchenko, the President of the Federation Automobile d’Ukraine (FAU) and the wider FIA family in the country. The measures taken today recognise the authority of the FAU in Ukraine and are also aligned with the recommendations recently made by the International Olympic Committee. We are in active discussions with our members as we continue to extend our compassion and support in their time of need. We sincerely hope for a peaceful resolution to their intolerable hardship.”

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mazepin raced under RAF instead of the Russian flag all last season, so no change there.

Haas is mighty unlikely to win a race this year, so no anthem issues either.

Prior to Sochi being removed from the calendar, the spot where the Russian flag would be, it was just a white box.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like he can't race in the British GP and it's hard to see how Sr. Mazepin can send the required cash to Haas,but I'm not any sort of expert in international law. Maybe he paid upfront and Haas can't bail until the FIA excludes his participation.

This looks like the perfect marriage of the Haas and Andretti efforts so we should get a better idea in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, the FIA continue to make themselves look like fools.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Right now, Mazepin is out of Silverstone ONLY. He can still race everywhere else under a neutral FIA flag, but the UK is the only country that will not let Russian drivers race anything.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Rumor mill is that P Fitipaldi gets a drive if Mazespin gets the boot or excluded from any races.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It's not rumor for Pietro:

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, not only is Sochi going to die this year, but the new St. Petersburg track won’t see F1.

https://racer.com/2022/03/03/f...erminating-contract/

quote:
F1 Won’t Race in Russia Again After Terminating Contract
Chris Medland March 3, 2022 7:30 AM ET

There will not be a Russian Grand Prix in future years after Formula 1 terminated its contract with the race promoter following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

This year’s race in Sochi was already cancelled by F1 in response to the war, but the sport had a longer-term contract to race at Igora Drive near St. Petersburg from 2023 onwards. Following a further discussions this week, F1 has decided it will not race in Russia in the future and as such has cancelled the existing deal.

“Formula 1 can confirm it has terminated its contract with the Russian Grand Prix promoter meaning Russia will not have a race in the future,” an F1 statement read.

The move comes despite the FIA opting against banning Russian drivers and competitors from international competition, a decision that was criticized by some national federations such as Motorsport UK who made their own decision to prohibit Russian and Belarusian competitors racing.

F1 has yet to confirm a replacement race for the Russia date of September 25 this year, with Sochi having originally formed the first leg of a tripleheader also featuring Singapore and Japan.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There were European tracks used two years ago during the Covid era that would be good additions.
Much better tracks than Sochi too.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Briefly thought about picking up the Lego McLaren that went live today.
Kind of a hybrid 21/22 car. Looks like the 22 chassis with the 21 colors on it.
As of 8AM central, it was on backorder status.
Saved me $200

https://www.lego.com/en-us/pro...ula-1-race-car-42141

I like Lego, but that doesn't appeal to me. It just doesn't capture the swoop of a F1 car.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At two hundred bucks, I think I'd rather make my own (as soon as I'm through building an army).

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Nikita we hardly knew ye…..
Next.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I hate how it was done, but this was erasing a mistake that never should have happened. Now I want to see how Daddy Mazepin keeps his son from serving his conscription with the Russian Army.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's official

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...lyJjFNkPJjQyiyF.html

Mazepin out, Fittipaldi in?

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I hate how it was done, but this was erasing a mistake that never should have happened. Now I want to see how Daddy Mazepin keeps his son from serving his conscription with the Russian Army.

The same way he got his ride and the same way other Russian rich guys keep theirs out during a war.
Now it's rubles, not dollars although they probably cheat on that too.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
From the sounds of things, the oligarchs are feeling the money crunch as current exchange rate is $1 for 124 rubles and getting worse. Without resources, what worth are they to Pooti-Poo?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
From the sounds of things, the oligarchs are feeling the money crunch as current exchange rate is $1 for 124 rubles and getting worse. Without resources, what worth are they to Pooti-Poo?

LOL, they need Putin a lot more than he needs them. He could just call them traitors, prevent them from leaving the country, seize any money and property they have in Russia, and throw them in jail. What are the oligarchs going to do about it? It’s not like the people are going to side with billionaires and rise up against Putin for anything he does to them.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Let's be careful not to turn this thread into the type that gets the hammer dropped.
There are several other threads for that, no need to nibble around the edges in those either.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Let's be careful not to turn this thread into the type that gets the hammer dropped.
There are several other threads for that, no need to nibble around the edges in those either.

Yes but it was F1 who has turned things political and it is a factor in the state of the series today.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
My comment was based upon an article I posted last year in this thread of Mazepin possibly having an issue at that time of not meeting the qualifications of deferment. I’m not sure how many pages back it is.