SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Raikkonen to Retire After '21 Season

quote:

Kimi Raikkonen has announced he will hang up his helmet and gloves and call time on an illustrious Formula 1 career at the end of the season…

The Finn, who won the world title in 2007 and will be 42 at the end of the season, made his debut in the 2001 Australian Grand Prix with Sauber. He returned to the outfit that became Alfa Romeo, with whom his deal expires at the end of this season, for 2019.

Alfa Romeo have yet to confirm their plans for 2021 with both seats open, and on the eve of the returning Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, Raikkonen revealed 2021 would be his swansong.

“This is it,” he said on Instagram. “This will be my last season in Formula 1. This is a decision I did during last winter. It was not an easy decision but after this season it is time for new things.

“Even though the season is still on, I want to thank my family, all my teams, everyone involved in my racing career and especially all of you great fans that have been rooting for me all this time.

“Formula 1 might come to an end for me but there is a lot more in life that I want to experience and enjoy. See you around after all of this.”

After a debut year at Sauber, Raikkonen spent five years with McLaren, before moving to Ferrari for three campaigns. It was here that he won his one and only world title, pipping Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso at the final race in Brazil in 2007.

After a two-year sabbatical from F1, when he went rallying, he returned with Lotus for two seasons before a second stunt at Ferrari that lasted five years. He then joined Alfa Romeo for what will ultimately be three campaigns.

Raikkonen has struggled for form this season, and currently lies 17th in the drivers’ standings, having scored just two points.

During his 344 Grand Prix weekends to date, he has taken 21 wins, 103 podiums and 18 pole positions and now has 10 further races to potentially add to that tally.

It remains unclear who will replace him at Alfa Romeo, with several names including Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas being mentioned.

​​​​​​​

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Never did I think I'd say NASCAR handles something better than F1, but here you are. The lack of planning for sufficient staff/marshalls to run the race on Monday is silly, and something they could easily change in their agreements with those folks, everyone needed to make it happen.

This was indeed a shitshow rivaling the Tiregate episode at Indy. I still have the Michelin spoofed t-shirt someone was selling the next year mocking it. I need to find that....

I lived Christian Horner saying during the break, "Why not race tomorrow? It's a banking holiday after all..."

In a perfect world, they'd cancel Turkey and go back and run a race free for ticket buyers, but far chance that will happen.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Never did I think I'd say NASCAR handles something better than F1, but here you are. The lack of planning for sufficient staff/marshalls to run the race on Monday is silly, and something they could easily change in their agreements with those folks, everyone needed to make it happen.

This was indeed a shitshow rivaling the Tiregate episode at Indy. I still have the Michelin spoofed t-shirt someone was selling the next year mocking it. I need to find that....

I lived Christian Horner saying during the break, "Why not race tomorrow? It's a banking holiday after all..."

In a perfect world, they'd cancel Turkey and go back and run a race free for ticket buyers, but far chance that will happen.

Read a theory that the race was run & classified, so now Spa has to pay the hosting fees.
Had they delayed or cancelled the race, Spa might not have been liable to paying their fees.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Also to bad because the track is one of the best on the calendar.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d wager it takes a lot more staff and marshalls for a 4 mile road course through the forest than for a NASCAR oval track. Not to mention the increase in costs for every race to have people on standby for Monday when it’s something almost never needed. Ticket prices would be even higher than they are now.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
quote:

Read a theory that the race was run & classified, so now Spa has to pay the hosting fees.
Had they delayed or cancelled the race, Spa might not have been liable to paying their fees.

I’m guessing that if the race had been cancelled, some sort of insurance would have covered the costs for the circuit, and maybe even costs for ticket refunds. But since it was officially a “race”, probably no longer an option.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ticket prices would be even higher than they are now.

Ticket price lookup for Daytona 500 show around $100. Same lookup for Spa show range of €250-600 for midrange. There's plenty of money there, the FIA/FOM just have chosen not to spend it on this. Agreed it would be more folks, but in almost every location races are held I bet the marshals and other necessary workers would be willing to make the commitment without and "call pay" for the possibility unless invoked.

I get that the logistics of a backup plan are complex and executing it not inexpensive, but I think everyone would be happy to have it as a safety net the few times it's needed.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Zandvoort: Onboard with the Aston SC

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Lots of sections with very little-to-no runoff.

Curious how many will put it in the wall on the banked last turn. No gap at all between the track & the wall Eek

posted Hide Post
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_KmFRx4r_-M" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

So, other than the start/finish section, there’s no other straight? It just seems like curve after curve. Other than people going off, I’m not sure this is going to be an exciting race.

The big question is, who will Merc get to take out the Red Bull cars this time?

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_KmFRx4r_-M" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

So, other than the start/finish section, there’s no other straight? It just seems like curve after curve. Other than people going off, I’m not sure this is going to be an exciting race.

The big question is, who will Merc get to take out the Red Bull cars this time?

Old-school track.

Designed by the same guy who did Suzuka; one of the greatest tracks ever.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Every time we get one of these onboards with the safety car makes me want to go buy an AMG GT!

Very interesting track, maybe a couple spots for someone to stick a nose in if very aggressive.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that this is a driver's course, and you better be spot on, or pay the consequences!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, no runoffs, mess up, you crash!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched yet, but saw that there were red flags in both FP sessions today.
FP1 was Vettel - something like 35 minutes
Haven't seen what caused FP2 red flag.

Minimal running on a 'new' track, that most of the drivers haven't driven in years & none have driven in its current configuration.
Should shake the order up a bit come quali & the race.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
We’re also losing Italian Jesus (Antonio Giovinazzi) at the end of the year as well. I’ve never been a huge fan of his from his first two years destroying Ferraris, Saubers, and Haas cars whenever he got a practice session. Since then he’s been lower than average for way too long. It’s going to be a brand new lineup at Alfa Romeo, and there’s talks that Alex Albon could be taking the seat.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
3rd/4th hand info:

Mod on another forum I'm on knows one of the top guys at Watkins Glen.
WG guy got some insider intel: Russell in, Bottas out, at MBZ for '22

Saw an article yesterday, that Bottas has a multi year deal in the works, which pretty much rules out staying at MB.
Leading rumors are returning to Williams or going to Alfa for the seat vacated by Kimi.

I'm a VB fan, so I'd prefer a return to Williams.
Being #1 at the team, and with their form improvements under Dorilton, I think he's got some potential there. Especially if they nail the new regs. Given they're in the lower places in the WCC standings, they'll get extra wind tunnel testing time.

Saw another rumor about Sauber [Alfa] going back to MB PUs. With Wolff being part of VB's mgmt team, a Sauber/MB could work as well.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
GPFans are saying Bottas to Sauber with Mercedes Test Driver Nyck DeVries, but if Sauber becomes a Mercedes Team, they’d lose the Ferrari money and the Alfa name. I could see this for Williams, but Sauber seems a bit of a stretch.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Zandvoort is a neat track, I dig it. Just goes to show how garbage the plethora of Tilke tracks really are in comparison to the old school tracks that were designed more by eye than CAD and cookie cutter design pieces.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’re also losing Italian Jesus (Antonio Giovinazzi) at the end of the year as well. I’ve never been a huge fan of his from his first two years destroying Ferraris, Saubers, and Haas cars whenever he got a practice session. Since then he’s been lower than average for way too long. It’s going to be a brand new lineup at Alfa Romeo, and there’s talks that Alex Albon could be taking the seat.

I never got the reason anyone thought Antonio was anything special and thought he must have the goods on someone at Ferrari to keep his seat so long.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post