SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic Country Music
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Country Music Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Those are some good ones, doublesharp! I wasn’t familiar with David Ball at all.

Cas, when was Cal Smith recording? I recognized that song, but barely.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
In had to look it up. Looks like off and on a long time, seems like he was working mid 50's up to his death in 2013, but I knew the early 70's was probably his heyday, "Country bumpkin" is probably is most famous song.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
In had to look it up. Looks like off and on a long time, seems like he was working mid 50's up to his death in 2013, but I knew the early 70's was probably his heyday, "Country bumpkin" is probably is most famous song.

I understand now. Rock took a turn that I didn’t really care for in the late 70s, and that’s when I really turned to Country. I had heard Cal Smith, but wasn’t really tuned in yet.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Laid back country picker
Can be seen on song of the mountains on PBS and on
Y.T.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sitting here doing other things, whistling a song... realized/remembered what the tune was. So I figured I'd post it, way back stuff.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
While I'm most familiar with Tom T Hall's version, Billy Joe Shaver wrote it.

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Waylon owns it Cool (most already know this but BJShaver wrote all the songs on Honky Tonk Heroes album but one)

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I usually think of songs to post because I catch myself singing them. Last night, semi out of my head with fever, I had some really strange dreams. But in one of the dreams I kept singing this song to myself and I went about my business.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Me too, cas, I was singing this one to myself all afternoon. This live version highlights Campbell’s guitar chops. A few of you may not know that he played with the Wrecking Crew, the legendary LA group of session musicians who were the actual musicians on many, many hit records. Most (all?) of Glen Campbell’s hits were Jimmy Webb compositions. This is one of the great ones.

ETA: I wrote above that “most (all?)” of Campbell’s hits were Jimmy Webb compositions. Obviously, not all, because “Gentle On My Mind” was written by John Hartford Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
I was a part time D.J. for 12 yrs, did weekend country classic on Sat. And Sunday nights, from 822 to 94 WDSD Dover,De.
Gambling Recess my name.
During that period I watched Country go more like Rock and Roll
Every Sat. Night I would get constant phone called, plus my fan mail for the week.
I played all old country from 50's and 60's even the good stuff from the 70's.
When our station changed hands and new management took over, my shows were called hooky, and were taken off.
Many of our listeners were upset, but management did not care, They wanted the Wilmington market, I was told our station was like a data life overtime Silk and Phil.
I gave my notice and gave up radio.
The point I am making is old country was fabulous music, from the heart and soul of those who wrote and those who sang.
Now the music is called country but is rock, I have even heard some country rap.
Long live Classic Country.
Remember There's Only One RAMBLIN REG

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post

Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Where did gambling recess come from, this FU table changes word, its haunted.
Was up set about Toby Keith, and Jimmy Buffet!!!!
They both were Super!!!!!

Posts: 2490 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Back to the front page Smile