SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by konata88:
I've had Knob Creek and a few others (can't recall names) and they were just too strong for me. I couldn't finish them, even when used in mint julep.

I think I prefer lower proof, smooth/mild, perhaps something on the sweeter side. Thinking of this, this is my preference for scotch, wine and sake as well. I'd like to drink straight or with a cube of ice but open to Old Fashioned.

I think you’re describing Angel’s Envy. It’s an 86.6 proof whiskey and too mild for me, but lots of people like it.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Basil Hayden is bottled at 80proof. Tasty and mild, Beam's most mild product and it's good.

Eagle Rare (cousin of Elmer, Blantons, and Stagg) is pretty mild tasting, to me, I tend to find it almost boring somehow. Which isn't the whiskey's fault. Lots of people like it.

Elmer on ice is super easy to drink, I think.

Saz Jr, too, though it's obviously a Rye.

And I think the Woodford Bourbon and Rye are quite mild and don't get enough attention.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might try Old Forester at 86 proof or Old Forester Signature at 100

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I landed on the Larceny (a single barrel version from 2014) because of limited choices at the store. They had a good 30-40 choices but many of them were pricey ($50+) with names not mentioned (at least in the context of suggestions to me). I don't think I've even seen the brands come up in last 10+ pages of this thread.

The choices in my initial price range ($25-50) were Makers, Larceny and a few others that are known brands but not suggested for me.

No Blantons, Eagle Rare, Weller and such.

They had Elijah Craig but I went with Larceny at the last minute because it seems to be wheat vs Elijah Craig rye. Not sure I made a good choice or not.

Hoping to taste after work today.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Elijah Craig tastes like pine sol to me which goes to show you how different everybody is. But you have to try as many as you can to find out.

I know exactly what you are saying. Last Christmas season, I purchased a bottle of Makers Mark 101. I have tried twice to drink this liquor, but it just isn't happening. It just tastes nasty to me. Different strokes for different folks.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m not an expert. I’ve had Makers Mark shots and as the base for Old Fashioned’s. I like it but never drank it critically.

Larceny single barrel: It’s got a pretty good bite when straight. I was getting woozy from the vapors. But I like the tinge of sweetness and the fruitiness. Strong but drinkable neat. Then I added an ice cube and some water to dilute down to 40 proof. Very mild and sweetness still apparent. I think I diluted to much though. I want some more flavor back.

First impressions: I like it. Not sure relative to Monkey Shoulder or makers mark. But I can drink this. We’ll see after more tastes.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Konata, try using a large round or square ice cube and let it sit for a few minutes. The melt will dilute it enough most of the time without the need to add more water. I do this with high octane stuff and I love it. You'll find the balance that is right for you.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Woodford Reserve. I have a couple of bottles of that but I normally mix with diet 7Up or Diet Sierra Mist in a tall glass with a lot of ice. I am no expert and I'm sure most would scoff at mixing good Bourbon but its the way I enjoy it.

I've also tried Makers Mark, 1792, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Bulleit, Eagle Rare and Basil Hayden at home, and probably one or two more that I can't remember off hand. I've only been drinking bourbon for a couple of years now.

Just got back from visiting Kentucky and went to 5 distilleries for tours. Started at Makers Mark, then to Lexington Brewery and Distillery the second day. Hit Buffalo Trace and Bulleit on the third day and finally Kentucky Artisan Distillery on the last day. Learned a lot and had a fun time seeing the different takes on how to make Bourbon the "right" way.

Bought a bottle of Blanton's at Buffalo Trace and picked up a bottle of Willett Pot Still Reserve at the class six store at Fort Knox on the way back home.

Even after all of that tasting I'm pretty sure that Woodford is still my favorite. Wanted to get a tour there but they were either closed or booked up the days we were there.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Diet Sierra Mist

Oh lawd, that poor Woodford.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know!

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Konata, try using a large round or square ice cube and let it sit for a few minutes. The melt will dilute it enough most of the time without the need to add more water. I do this with high octane stuff and I love it. You'll find the balance that is right for you.

Thanks. Will try.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching "Neat," a documentary currently on Hulu about bourbon. It's pretty good. Nothing earth shattering or anything that most of us don't know but there are some cool human interest stories as well as general history of the nectar of the Gods.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’m not an expert. I’ve had Makers Mark shots and as the base for Old Fashioned’s. I like it but never drank it critically.

Larceny single barrel: It’s got a pretty good bite when straight. I was getting woozy from the vapors. But I like the tinge of sweetness and the fruitiness. Strong but drinkable neat. Then I added an ice cube and some water to dilute down to 40 proof. Very mild and sweetness still apparent. I think I diluted to much though. I want some more flavor back.

First impressions: I like it. Not sure relative to Monkey Shoulder or makers mark. But I can drink this. We’ll see after more tastes.

Most of us aren't experts, but we like what we like. For me, the Larceny has more spice and "bite" than Elijah Craig or Woodford Reserve, but everyone tastes things a little differently. I still have half a bottle of Larceny from 6 months ago, which says something since most of it doesn't last too long at my abode.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Anyone know any good shops in Nashville or along 24 down to Chattanooga? (Obviously JD and Dickel distilleries.)

I travel this route from ATL at least once a month and need to take advantage.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just finished watching "Neat," a documentary currently on Hulu about bourbon. It's pretty good. Nothing earth shattering or anything that most of us don't know but there are some cool human interest stories as well as general history of the nectar of the Gods.

Pretty good documentary!
Take a look at "Golden", same thing, but with Scotch.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The 10 yr Russell's Reserve is nice, slightly sweet with an oakey vanilla thing going on

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know any good shops in Nashville or along 24 down to Chattanooga? (Obviously JD and Dickel distilleries.)

I travel this route from ATL at least once a month and need to take advantage.

I use to go to Nashville via I840, and I65, had business in Franklin then onto Nashville.

Grapevine Wine Spirts
Brentwood Tenn.

I usually found unique bourbons there soemtimes i bought them soemtimes price was a little steep. Look for displays just inside the door and around the counter. I almost walked by a Weller Full Proof display

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gator. I know that area and work both in Nashville proper and in Franklin.

The new (3 years old) Hilton on Cool Springs Blvd is ours.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Please let me know how you like the Kirkland.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post