SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'd like to get a decent bottle of bourbon that I would like. I could use some help as it seems that there are too many possibilities and it depends one's preferences. Like scotch (peaty vs not, etc); I love Highland Park. And Glenmorangie Port Cask. It's a little confusing although it seems like Buffalo Trace seems to be a universally accepted brand.

I'm not an expert but I've liked Maker's Mark (basic one) before. And usually order Old Fashioned's using it - mostly because I'm familiar w/ it now. And I've been okay with Gentleman Jack (regular Jack, not as much).

I've had Knob Creek and a few others (can't recall names) and they were just too strong for me. I couldn't finish them, even when used in mint julep.

I think I prefer lower proof, smooth/mild, perhaps something on the sweeter side. Thinking of this, this is my preference for scotch, wine and sake as well. I'd like to drink straight or with a cube of ice but open to Old Fashioned.

Perhaps a step up from Maker's Mark? Similar characteristics but higher quality?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Konata, try finding a bottle of Blanton’s. It has a really nice bottle and as far as bourbons go it is very smooth, meaning little to no burn that may be associated with others. Not sure what pricing looks like for a 750ml bottle out west, but here in VA the government runs the ABC stores and keeps the price around $60.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Mutedblade has good information, and not to step on his recommendation but let me offer mine.
If you can find Blantons at or around MSRP, absolutely get it. IIRC, you're in California, right? Last I was there (January) the Ralph's near my hotel in LA/Hollywood had a bunch of bottles of Eagle Rare and they were priced under $40. IMHO, Eagle Rare at or close to its MSRP of $33ish is the best bang for your buck. It carries a 10 year age statement and is VERY smooth. Coming from a guy who always drank Makers, I've converted to Buffalo Trace and it's big brother, Eagle Rare.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Perhaps a step up from Maker's Mark? Similar characteristics but higher quality?

Makers Mark is a "wheater" Bourbon, where it uses Wheat rather than Rye as the secondary grain along with the requisite 51% Corn (minimum) that all Bourbon Mash in the US must adhere to.

Wheater Bourbons (a colloquial inside term used by whiskey nerds and usually unknown at most local stores) have a somewhat different taste than the typical Bourbon (99+% of all Bourbons use Rye as the secondary grain).

Rye is "spicier" than Wheat. Wheat tastes "sweeter" than Rye. Wheater Bourbons are generally perceived to be "smoother" than their Rye based cousins, and this very thing is much of why Makers Mark is popular.

The bad news is, there aren't many Wheater Bourbons, and worse, the ones you haven't had are generally hard to find and range from average price to astronomical (see Weller, and Van Winkle, Bourbons).

So... try to find some Weller. That's your best first option in the "similar to Makers Mark" world without spending hundreds of dollars to thousands per bottle like Van Winkle is going for nowadays.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't as many as dozens of Rye based Bourbons that you'd also like, and frankly, they aren't THAT different in flavor, but strictly speaking, the "like Makers Mark" subset of all Bourbon happens to have very limited choices.

Start there. Try a Weller Bourbon, any of them.

And anytime you see Van Winkle anywhere and have the coin to spend, try that too.

On the other end, from "regular" (rye based) Bourbons, maybe try Elmer T Lee if you can find it. It's an easy drinking Bourbon, considered smooth, a touch Sweet, and Elmer T Lee and Blantons are the same juice anyway, merely at different proofs and ages, so keep an eye open for Blantons too.

Blantons and Elmer T Lee are produced by Buffalo Trace (the Distillery, not their same named Bourbon).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russel's Reserve (Wild Turkey) might be a good try. 10 yr 90 proof, $35-ish around here won't break the bank.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for the help guys. I'll look for the suggestions locally.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
If you like the wheated Bourbons, I (keep in mind, I have only been at this since Covid hit) I believe you will like the Weller Special Reserve. Weller Antique 107 is definitely a step up from the WSR, but for me, I am not convinced it is worth 2+ the cost of WSR.

As others have said, Blantons and Eagle Rare (if you do not have to pay secondary pricing) are two of my favorites.

At MSRP, I like Eagle Rare better than most others I have tried.

Having only been in the game a little over 1.5 years, my collection only has three bottles over $70.00. Two special Oak Project bottles from Buffalo Trace ($75 each) and a Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2020 ($150.00). At this point in my Bourbon hunt, I am not sure I would be able to appreciate the difference in the more expensive bottles.

Before getting into the Bourbon/Whiskey hunt, I always had a bottle or two in the cupboard, but rarely drank anything more than beer. For several years, I have almost always had a bottle of Tincup, it is pretty smooth, but I have since found better bottles (for me) for the money.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm all over the Blanton's/Elmer T recs as they are two of my favorites. Same mash bill (BT #2.) It is actually the mash that is higher in rye than BT's other main one... Which brings me to BT's mash bill #2, where you get Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, the EH Taylor line, and the two Staggs.

For something outside of Buffalo Trace distillery... I heartily recommend Makers Mark 101. I have mentioned it previously in this thread and I have championed it to my friends and the consensus is... it is really good. You can tell it is Makers Mark but it is also something special. Same goes for other Makers Mark special bottles... the Cask Strength is very good, especially the 20-03. The Limited Editions and the Private Selects are a little harder to come by, perhaps, but a few of them are knock-your-socks-off good. Glad Makers has taken the opportunity to get after some more premium offerings while still making them available and reasonably priced.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Added to the list.

I was curious about the more premium Makers Mark offerings. But they seem much higher proof so wasn't sure I'd care for it or not. I guess I could water it down a little if that's the case but maybe taste would be compromised. Or maybe let some some of the -OH evaporate a bit before drinking.

I'll add 101 and Cask Strength to the list (not sure what 20-03 means but I'll figure it out).

Will go to the store and see what's available.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It's the batch number. Starting in 2020 they started putting the batch number on the bottle in big red letters. All 20-03's should be similar but they can be fairly different from batch to batch because they would have been aged under different conditions.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. Added to the list.

I was curious about the more premium Makers Mark offerings. But they seem much higher proof so wasn't sure I'd care for it or not. I guess I could water it down a little if that's the case but maybe taste would be compromised. Or maybe let some some of the -OH evaporate a bit before drinking.

I'll add 101 and Cask Strength to the list (not sure what 20-03 means but I'll figure it out).

Will go to the store and see what's available.

Regarding Proof, think of it this way...

All whiskey that isn't Barrel / Cask strength contains added Water that you're paying for... because that's all they do before bottling it, is vat up a bunch of barrels into a giant stainless steel vessel and add water until it drops in concentration to the proof they intend to bottle it.

If you like Makers Mark (at 90 proof), what you like is "watered down, cask strength, Makers Mark...".

And I dunno about you, but I'm perfectly capable of watering things down myself, if so desired.

And, *I* can then choose wherher I want to drink it at any proof between Cask Strength and pure Water.

Barrel Strenth isn't "extra strong whiskey", it's "unadulterated, not watered down, whiskey".

Or in other terms, Cask Strength IS Whiskey. Everything else is Watered Down Whiskey. Technically...

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I figured out how to calculate how much water to add to achieve a desired proof level based on original proof level. Now just need a bottle of goodness. Smile

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks.

I figured out how to calculate how much water to add to achieve a desired proof level based on original proof level. Now just need a bottle of goodness. Smile

There you go. Experiment, too. I've found that what I prefer in terms of concentration/proof varies by the day, whiskey, and whether I've already had a drink or two.

Some taste best anywhere between 80proof and Cask Strength.

Remember to use Distilled water for the water/ice if used.

And adding water is easy... the reverse, not so much, so add it little by little.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
konata,

If you've not tried it, try some Elijah Craig. Sweeter side of bourbons, and for me it's exceedingly smooth versus some others. I like Maker's fairly well, but if I can put hands on Elijah Craig (or Woodford Reserve, for that matter), I drink that. Try it with a cube of ice and splash of water. In my neck of the woods it's about $30-35, so reasonable.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with the Elijah Craig suggestion. I like it over ice, but a bit of water won't hurt it a bit.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Elijah Craig tastes like pine sol to me which goes to show you how different everybody is. But you have to try as many as you can to find out.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I bought a bottle of Larceny single barrel; barreled in 2014. $27 on sale.

Looking forward to a sip later.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like the Elijah Craig Barrel Strength.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I like the Elijah Craig Barrel Strength.

My absolute favorite bourbon. I can't get enough of this stuff and it don't take much Big Grin

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
My wife grabbed 2 bottles of Jefferson’s Ocean Aged at Sea, Voyage 22, Special Wheated Mash Bill at our local Bjs last week. I've never had a Jefferson bottle before. I tend to favor OF 1920, Knob Creek 12, Bookers and the store single barrels picks my local packy always seems to have.

Thoughts on the Ocean:
N: Salt, brown sugar, Citrus
M: salt, leather, oak, caramel, floral
F: nutty, butterscotch, toffee

Not worth liquor store retail but at the Bjs price of 60 I'm enjoying.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post