SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Please let me know how you like the Kirkland.

Yes Sir, likely tomorrow. I've heard good things and I'm looking forward to it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
originally posted by konata88:
I've had Knob Creek and a few others (can't recall names) and they were just too strong for me. I couldn't finish them, even when used in mint julep.

I think I prefer lower proof, smooth/mild, perhaps something on the sweeter side. Thinking of this, this is my preference for scotch, wine and sake as well. I'd like to drink straight or with a cube of ice but open to Old Fashioned.

I think you’re describing Angel’s Envy. It’s an 86.6 proof whiskey and too mild for me, but lots of people like it.

Just picked up a bottle of Old Forester Statesman
95 proof
Most sweet/fruity OF I’ve tried (Prohibition style is my fav OF btw)
$55 at the local Walgreens
Probably pick up another bottle on the next trip

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
SCORE!!

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I'd be interested to hear about that BP Larceny.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
YES, that is a great score.

I was able to find a Larceny B521.

Around here the ER is more difficult to find, unless you visit the Distillery.

In my limited experience, the ER represents one of the best values in Bourbon, if you can buy it at MSRP, approx. $32.00

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post

This is good, I am a WT rare breed & KY spirit fan this is similar

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
A recent go-to for me has been Legent Bourbon.

It’s some variety of Jim Beam selected by Fred Noe and finished in sherry and red wine casks by Shinji Fukuyo from Suntory. It’s got notes I like from Bourbon and Japanese Whisky, it’s 47%, and it’s a bargain where I’m at. I can find it all day for about $35 where I live and is a money saver thanks to the Scotch tariffs in place or the cost of Hibiki and Yamazaki bottles from Suntory.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Making my Pilgrimage up to Kentucky next week for my Makers Mark Gold ticket tour and I'll probably buy a bottle from the barrel that (allegedly...lets be honest, it really doesnt) have my name on it. I'll be spending two days in Bardstown and hoping to score at Buffalo Trace and a few others while I'm there.

NRA Life Member

I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Making my Pilgrimage up to Kentucky next week for my Makers Mark Gold ticket tour and I'll probably buy a bottle from the barrel that (allegedly...lets be honest, it really doesnt) have my name on it. I'll be spending two days in Bardstown and hoping to score at Buffalo Trace and a few others while I'm there.

How's the trip treating you Mike? To say I'm jealous would be an understatement. Cool

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Anyone starting to see some of the fall releases of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, or Larceny BP? These are the C921 versions.

I know Booker's should have one more release this year, possibly two. Also waiting on Stagg Jr. to hit the shelves here in Idaho, I know we have some in the warehouse, but they haven't sent it into the wild yet.

I did manage to score a Russell's Reserve 13 last week, haven't had a chance to try it. I much prefer the Rare Breed over the Russell's 10yr.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlbailey1:
Anyone starting to see some of the fall releases of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, or Larceny BP? These are the C921 versions.

None in my part of the Country.....and I always look.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know Booker's should have one more release this year, possibly two. Also waiting on Stagg Jr. to hit the shelves here in Idaho, I know we have some in the warehouse, but they haven't sent it into the wild yet.

I did manage to score a Russell's Reserve 13 last week, haven't had a chance to try it. I much prefer the Rare Breed over the Russell's 10yr.

Great score on the RR 13. Lots of talk locally, but I have not seen any.

On the Cincinnati Bourbon Society page there is a guy who scored a case of 6 at a local grocery store.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:

How's the trip treating you Mike? To say I'm jealous would be an understatement. Cool

Trip was a lot of fun, second year in a row, probably going to make it a tradition. I ended up dipping 3 bottles of Makers Mark from "my barrel". Gold ticket tour was cool, not awfully different from the standard tour, but certainly smaller and more intimate.

This is the score from my trip up. Buffalo Trace was selling EH Taylor, which I love, so I purchase the maximum of one bottle...

And now the family pic.

NRA Life Member

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well done. Be sure to let us know how it is.

NRA Life Member

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Nice. Did you go out to Stitzel Weller?

B&B is a bit gimmicky but I like the product even if it's a tad overpriced.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice stash of EHTaylor.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Nice. Did you go out to Stitzel Weller?

B&B is a bit gimmicky but I like the product even if it's a tad overpriced.

I did. And I loved the tour and grounds. I agree, I dont think B&B is anything spectacular, it's also about $10 more at the distillery than my local liquor store, but it was a bourbon trip and by God I was buying bourbon!.

NRA Life Member

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Nice stash of EHTaylor.

Thank you. It's one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the pricing and availability here is pretty wild.

See below for my dollar cost averaging of EH Taylor
Bottle 1: $79
Bottle 2: $55
Bottle 3: $43

Pricing seems to be getting better, but it takes a lot of effort to even FIND it, let alone get it at a price I can live with. I wouldn't go any higher than $65 on my next bottle.

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post

For those interested in trying something new give this a shot. It comes in at $65-70 depending on the state. This is from some bourbon podcast geeks. And I will say it's darn good. Gasp it's a blended bourbon from three states.

Currently only in CO, GA, IL, KY, TN AND TX. I managed to grab my bottle in CO. Wish I grabbed a backup of this release.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
@MikeGLI-

The RR13 was all over the board. It hands-down puts regular 10yr Russell in the rear view mirror. It doesn't hide the proof whatsoever and has a long finish. Granted, I would choose Rare Breed BP over RR10, have yet to find a single barrel RR10, as we don't get it here in Idaho.

I did pick up a bottle of Johnny Drum that I'm looking forward to trying.