SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
A buddy was able to get a hold of a bottle of the 12yr Van Winkle for $100 a couple of months ago and he brought it on our last trip and he gave me a couple of pours.

I enjoyed it and would pay $100 for it but every bottle I've come across they are always asking around $1899 for it.

The bartender told me it cost them about $250 for the bottle.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
The bartender told me it cost them about $250 for the bottle.

Wow, so even they are paying a markup. My buddy is friends with the liquor store manager of a local HyVee grocery store and he sold him the bottle for what they would have put it on the shelf for.

I know all of the local HyVee and Cashwise liquor stores near me charge regular price no matter what the bottle is. I've picked up Eagle Rare for $35-$39 a bottle and some others for regular prices. You just have to be lucky and get them the day they put them out.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Bourbon snobs are like wine snobs, but with beards and tats.

Posts: 1980 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:

I have neither a beard nor a tat, and I don't like wine. But I think maybe I'm not a bourbon snob. I try things I can afford that people suggest. Some I like, some I don't. But I don't get hints of vanilla, and peach, and oak, etc. I get hints of bourbon, and bourbon and then bourbon.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:

Fascinating.

God bless America.

Posts: 13824 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
No beard or tats but I’m a bourbon snob.

I wish I had all the money I spent on shitty bourbon. I now pretty much only drink Buffalo Trace products BT, ER, EHT, Blanton’s, stagg

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Last Friday I picked up another EH Taylor small batch and a Makers 2024 The Heart Release.

That same day one of my sons gave me an early birthday present of a store pick Jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof.

Monday I picked up another Larceny barrel proof.

Life is good !

Cheers~

Posts: 920 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I just saw EHT small batch for $90. That’s crazy. I am disappointed if that’s the going rate. No wonder it’s sitting in the shelf.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I just saw EHT small batch for $90. That’s crazy. I am disappointed if that’s the going rate. No wonder it’s sitting in the shelf.

If you are ever in the Cincinnati area, I will hook you up with some EHT Small Batch. I can get a bottle every 90 days at the Distillery.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36894 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I bought two last BT stop, $49

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Ooh Gator I get it $90 would put EHT small out of my reach. Fortunately it's $50 here and that seems reasonable to me.

Hoping we(Oregon) get some Michter's soon.

Cheers~

Posts: 920 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Grabbed another EH Taylor small batch last Friday.

Enjoyed Knob Creek 9yr over the weekend.

Cheers~

posted Hide Post
The Kirkland stuff has pleasantly surprised me.

So far tried the Small Batch and the Bottled In Bond, with the latter being a real nice buy. Even with our states super dumb liquor tax it’s still like $40 a liter, and tastes like a way higher price point!

Bill R

Posts: 1137 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Tried something new to me last night, picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. I had a $20 cash coupon so I got it for $36. Pleasantly flvored, without the strong oak aftertaste.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7262 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:

FYI, it's made by Barton for Costco.

Link

Kirkland Bourbon Whiskey Variations
The new line of bourbons birthed from the partnership between Costco and Barton 1792 is the Kirkland Signature brand which carries ten whiskey expressions under it: 4 Scotch whiskeys, 1 Irish whiskey, 1 Canadian whiskey, 1 Tennessee whiskey, and three new bourbon expressions. The three bourbon expressions include:

· Kirkland Signature Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon

This 92 proof, 46% ABV offering is aged for a minimum of two years – thus considered “straight.” It is a sweet whiskey that is enjoyed smooth with its notes of oak and rye spice accented by vanilla, cinnamon, and caramel.

On the nose, you will notice the smell of rye combined with cinnamon and a touch of clove.

· Kirkland Signature Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon

This 100 proof, 50% ABV offering is wonderfully balanced. It has subtle notes of candied fruit and honey that give way to a pleasant spice, bringing out the true character of rye. This BIB bourbon is rounded with an oaky wood note that becomes more noticeable as the whiskey opens up, with a light smoky lasting aftertaste.

There are notes of caramel, vanilla, and a persistent dried and candied fruit note along with cinnamon and clove spice on the nose.

· Kirkland Signature Single Barrel Bourbon

This 120 proof, 60% ABV offering is characterized by strong notes of oak interlaced with honey, caramel, and dried fruit notes. Because of its higher alcohol content, it has more burn than the others. The aromas of vanilla, fruit, and honey are present.

The Single Barrel expression is often non-chill filtered and showcases the unique character of every barrel.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:

FYI, it's made by Barton for Costco.

Link

Kirkland Bourbon Whiskey Variations
The new line of bourbons birthed from the partnership between Costco and Barton 1792 is the Kirkland Signature brand which carries ten whiskey expressions under it: 4 Scotch whiskeys, 1 Irish whiskey, 1 Canadian whiskey, 1 Tennessee whiskey, and three new bourbon expressions. The three bourbon expressions include:

· Kirkland Signature Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon

This 92 proof, 46% ABV offering is aged for a minimum of two years – thus considered “straight.” It is a sweet whiskey that is enjoyed smooth with its notes of oak and rye spice accented by vanilla, cinnamon, and caramel.

On the nose, you will notice the smell of rye combined with cinnamon and a touch of clove.

· Kirkland Signature Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon

This 100 proof, 50% ABV offering is wonderfully balanced. It has subtle notes of candied fruit and honey that give way to a pleasant spice, bringing out the true character of rye. This BIB bourbon is rounded with an oaky wood note that becomes more noticeable as the whiskey opens up, with a light smoky lasting aftertaste.

There are notes of caramel, vanilla, and a persistent dried and candied fruit note along with cinnamon and clove spice on the nose.

· Kirkland Signature Single Barrel Bourbon

This 120 proof, 60% ABV offering is characterized by strong notes of oak interlaced with honey, caramel, and dried fruit notes. Because of its higher alcohol content, it has more burn than the others. The aromas of vanilla, fruit, and honey are present.

The Single Barrel expression is often non-chill filtered and showcases the unique character of every barrel.

So it's probably very similar, if not exactly, 1792 Small Batch, 1792 BiB, and maybe a Full proof version of their Single Barrel.

I think 1792 only has the two mash bills (74c/18r/8b and the wheater) and these are all the high rye mb.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10554 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Johnny I have enjoyed all of the different Woodford products that I've tried so far. Glad you like the double oaked also.

I'm curious on what you people are paying for bourbon in other parts of the country.

We can't purchase liquor at Costco here as it's not available in grocery stores - yet.

For example the Kirkland Signature, if it is 1792, would be $33 for 750ml and the full proof is $52 for 750ml.

It sounds like the Woodford dub oak is the same cost here.

Cheers~

posted Hide Post
https://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com/home

Here are the prices in PA. It also shows how much product is not sold here also. Most of the popular bourbons aren't listed because by the time the website is updated, it's sold. If I remember correctly, Blantons is $75, E. H. Taylor small batch is $48, Eagle Rare is $32, and Buffalo Trace is $28. All 750ml bottles. The Commonwealth run liquor stores have advantages and disadvantages, but the MSRP pricing is definitely an advantage.

Posts: 3677 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Just picked up my first bottle of Stagg 24A today.

Looks like my evening plans include bourbon Smile

Cheers~

posted Hide Post
I was introduced to New Riff distillery at a friend’s birthday party. Good bourbon. High proof without the burn.

Just finished a bottle of New Riff Rye and it was tasty.

Posts: 557 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post