SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 131
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
How is it? I have one waitinf to try.

I haven't opened it yet. As for my expectations, they aren't high as others have stated. I paid about $60 for it, won't be too upset should it be less than spectacular.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
My wife bought me a whisky/scotch advent calendar. Each sample is a dram and there's some high dollar stuff in there. There's even a 50 year single malt!

What a thoughtful spouse! She found that is VA? Does it list the contents on the package?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Jigray on www.masterofmalt.com you can build a bourbon or scotch advent calendar with any booze you want.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Got my EC18 today

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Damn Deq you are scoring big time on the Bourbon hunt. I've heard of and seen some outrageous pricing on that Bourbon. I saw a bottle for $149 and passed. You'll have to let us know how it compares to the barrel proof.

I'm trying to finish a forged oak bottle so I can open a ECBP. I can only drink one or two at a time it just has to much oak for me. I get one glass down and switch to a Buffalo Trace product like ETL or Stagg Jr.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4795 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I got it for 110. Unfortunately (even tho i wasnt around) its gone up since 4 years ago at 40 bucks a bottle. I wont be trying it for awhile as i am doing all my buying in this month. And will hopefully not have to buy all year. I have a friend i taste with once a month so the bottles will remain u opened until we can taste. Rittenhouse and lw harper 15 is waiting for me at his place.

I scored a baby saz with that 18 too :-)

Edit: they had a barrel proof too but they said its in the taste category of woodford reserve so i passed. It was <40 bucks.

Still hoping i get a william larue weller too. We shall see.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a bottle of Belle Meade Sherry finished. It's pretty good, smooth but not complex. A good after dinner drink. Probably won't buy it again; not that there's anything problematic about it, I like it. There are just too many bourbons to try! One has to be unique for me to buy a second bottle. It was 75$ in NW FL.

Also, having just spent thanksgiving in Atlanta I have to give a positive review to Tower Spirits. Great selection, good employees, and great prices. In fact, it had the best prices I've seen in any liquor store on a wide variety of products.

Posts: 2449 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
My wife bought me a whisky/scotch advent calendar. Each sample is a dram and there's some high dollar stuff in there. There's even a 50 year single malt!

What a thoughtful spouse! She found that is VA? Does it list the contents on the package?

It doesn't list the contents but I opened the box and slid the tray out to check out all the samples. There's some amazing stuff in there!

Posts: 13828 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Just picked up a bottle of Belle Meade Sherry finished. It's pretty good, smooth but not complex. A good after dinner drink. Probably won't buy it again; not that there's anything problematic about it, I like it. There are just too many bourbons to try! One has to be unique for me to buy a second bottle. It was 75$ in NW FL.

Also, having just spent thanksgiving in Atlanta I have to give a positive review to Tower Spirits. Great selection, good employees, and great prices. In fact, it had the best prices I've seen in any liquor store on a wide variety of products.

I havent been much of a fan(ive found out) of those finished in wine barrels etc. Ive had

Angels envy
1792 port finish
Riegers (sherry finished)

The 1792 was the smoothest. Ill also get a try of slaughterhouse as my dad wants one since hes a fan oren swifts prisoner.

I like thag corn bourbon bite!

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

I havent been much of a fan(ive found out) of those finished in wine barrels etc. Ive had

Angels envy
1792 port finish
Riegers (sherry finished)

The 1792 was the smoothest. Ill also get a try of slaughterhouse as my dad wants one since hes a fan oren swifts prisoner.

I like thag corn bourbon bite!

There are several "finished" bourbons that taste awful. High west distillery does a mid winters night dram that is just too much nasty wine taste for me. That said, I tend to like sherried scotch (Glendronach Allerdice being one of my favorite) so I periodically decide to try a sherried bourbon if I google it and see some decent reviews.

That's why I tried the Belle Meade. and its good. Very similar to Jeffersons Groth cask reserve, but with a slightly more noticeable fruitiness. I recommend it for anyone who shares my tastes! But this whole enterprise being so subjective that's a tall order.

If you like the "bite" I assume you're a bookers fan?

Posts: 2449 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Havent had bookers yet. I just like my bourbon to taste like bourbon is all. My favorite thus far is william larue weller at 136ish proof. I dont like the bite without complexity as a knob creek 120 proof doesnt trip my trigger.

Naturally all of our tastes are subjective, not trying to come off like die hard bourbon purist by any means. Different strokes ya know!

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Today it's a Japanese single malt called Yoichi. I understand why Japanese whisky has been winning international awards now.

Posts: 13828 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today it's a Japanese single malt called Yoichi. I understand why Japanese whisky has been winning international awards now.

Yeah, we sold out of the Nikka Yoichi 15 on the first day that the store opened (11/15). Still have some 17 and 21, tho'. Eek

My new drink for today is Barrel Bourbon (#005). High proof (124.7) but not harsh and no burn on the way down. Wonderful caramel flavors with just the right amount of spice -- surprisingly, no need for ice or water. Just beautiful. $63.99! Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2833 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Havent had bookers yet. I just like my bourbon to taste like bourbon is all. My favorite thus far is william larue weller at 136ish proof. I dont like the bite without complexity as a knob creek 120 proof doesnt trip my trigger.

Naturally all of our tastes are subjective, not trying to come off like die hard bourbon purist by any means. Different strokes ya know!

If you like bourbon to taste like bourbon, you will likely appreciate Booker's. As a barrel proof that is not chill filtered it is right up my alley, despite being a Beam product. Flavorful, balanced, interesting. Certainly it has earned a spot on my bar.

I'm very jealous of your EC18. I'll trade ya 3 bottles of Elmer. Deal?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well. Shipment in.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:

If you like bourbon to taste like bourbon, you will likely appreciate Booker's. As a barrel proof that is not chill filtered it is right up my alley, despite being a Beam product. Flavorful, balanced, interesting. Certainly it has earned a spot on my bar.

I'm very jealous of your EC18. I'll trade ya 3 bottles of Elmer. Deal?

Uh.... hmmm EC18 i havent even tried yet. Id be willing to trade but not for elmer. I have 2 bottles over here Smile

posted Hide Post
Where/how are you getting these????? We get very little "hard to get" bourbon in central ohio

Posts: 283 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biggsig:
Where/how are you getting these????? We get very little "hard to get" bourbon in central ohio

Well my liquor store is very good to me but kansas is a shit state for approvals so i play both sides KS and MO. The latest shipment came from CA though. If you want to pay for it, you can get anything. The elijiah craig 18 was local tho.

http://www.hitimewine.net/WHIS...ice&sort_direction=1

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey Deglyn,

How you like that Willett Pot Still in the funky bottle? People ask me about it but I've never tried it. Or the regular Willett bottling for that matter.

Your reviews would be greatly appreciated. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2833 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
The willet pot still bourbon is pretty freaking delicious. It was the first bourbon i drank neat and couldnt believe how smooth it was. Ill have to have a swig and give you some tasting notes if you want it to go that far.

As far as the 2 yr rye from willet seen in the pic, this is the first willet made at their factory and not sourcing the booze elsewhere. I can tell you its really good as i tried it last night neat as well. The longer it sat the more the alcohol smell desipated. This review is right on, i dont have any connection to these guys but thier tastes mirror mine so ive been buying stuff on thier list. It saves me a lil money in the guess and check department. My empty glass of the willet rye smelled piney/menthol. I cant wait til i can get the 4 year (non wax top) that this bottle will age into.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com...lett-2-year-rye.html