SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Get that Rye, if you don't like it I'll take it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Excited for 2016. Looking forward to 1792 barrel proof. I just hope it has some depth.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/new-2016-whiskeys.html

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I'm done with the gimmicky bourbon stuff like orphan barrel. Forged oak sucked if the whiskey is not good enough for the original distiller to bottle don't buy it for the hype. It is a great marketing gimmick in this bourbon boom to say you found some barrels long been lost in a warehouse. I was duped but not again.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ya i never got into orphan barrel. Im sticking to the classic distillers mostly for now.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I just want High-to-Barrel Proof whiskey (Bourbon and Rye), from a known and labeled Distiller and Ager (truly, who gives a fuck who Bottles it or buys it wholesale...), with an Age Statement, that's aged 6-16yrs (and in some cases 17-20+) - but mostly: 6-16yrs is the sweet spot/zone as far as I'm concerned, and even within those it's the 12-16 that wow me.

Or said another way: I want to know what I'm buying... No bullshit stories. Let the whiskey stand on its own. Most of it does anyway. I think the stories and crap are a net negative.

/rant

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Excited for 2016. Looking forward to 1792 barrel proof. I just hope it has some depth.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/new-2016-whiskeys.html

Me, too. The regular is fairly meh / over rated, like Maker's (IMO), but the Barrel Proof... That's where it shines, where the flavor of the whiskey isn't limited by the proverbial bottom line.

this Barrel Proof trend is great. EJ12 and Maker's went from good to great.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ive bee meaning to pick up a bottle of makers cask stength just havent. Im not normally a makers fan but have been addicted to barrel proof.

Unfortunately im thinking 1792 falls flat but its BT distiller so maybe not. The 1792 lacks that complexity though back in may it was top 3 but ive been thru quite a few bourbons since then.

46n2 u interested in willet 2 yr rye? Or holding out? 110 proof, not sourced. Ive got 3.5 bottles. Planning on picking up the 3yr if possible and new unsourced bourbon in 2016. Let me know, im always up for a trade or sompin. Strictly retail.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strictly retail.

Way to be.

2yo Whiskey is too early, IMO. but at 110proof, it's begging to be re-aged in a little barrel.

that aside, I'm down in general. thanks for the offer. the different markets helps a lot.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Ive bee meaning to pick up a bottle of makers cask stength just havent. Im not normally a makers fan but have been addicted to barrel proof.

In all fairness to Maker's, of which I've been an outspoken critic, it's a solid Wheater, but the regular expression suffers from Fat Tire Syndrome... wildly popular, extremely well marketed, and over hyped and over priced because of it - which takes away from what is already a good whiskey, it's just that it ought to be priced more like Weller 7-12 with fewer expectations rather than flirting with VW hype and normal prices.

and finally, after years of requests, they released it, and between there being few Wheaters in the first place, much less Barrel Strength Wheaters, I'm happy to support them, and like the whiskey itself. it's not amazing amazing, but good, and good enough, IMO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
y'all leave Maker's Mark alone!

for real, it is slightly overpriced for what it is. marketing has given it a "premium" label but in today's realm where true premiums are more readily available, it is not so premium.

I still buy it, drink it, and it is my go-to when I'm out and if I'm mixing with a soft drink.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Mixing with a soft drink, you mean for your wife right.

46and2 I agree high proof / barrel proof are where I am at. I picked up a knob creek store bought barrel selection at 120 proof and its good I like it much better than there usually lower proof offering.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:

46and2 I agree high proof / barrel proof are where I am at. I picked up a knob creek store bought barrel selection at 120 proof and its good I like it much better than there usually lower proof offering.

I mean for football tailgating. It's difficult to start at 9 am with straight 120 proof. I'll never apologize for mixing my Makers Mark with Seagrams or Blenheim.

And yes, I have really enjoyed my current bottle of the Knob barrel strength. Local shop had hand selected bottles for $38 when I was in last night.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:

the same store in Denver metro which is selling Baby Saz for $50 is selling bottles of a hand picked barrel of Knob Creek Single Barrel for $35.

90proof 4-6yo Whiskey for $50 vs 9yo Single Barrel 120proof Whiskey for $35...

people are silly, sometimes, paying a premium for more water and for a younger whiskey.

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I forgot the winking smiley face I was just giving you a hard time.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Speaking of paying premium.... blant9ns gold came in from the UK today. Also a Stagg at a premium. That is a gift tho.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I forgot the winking smiley face I was just giving you a hard time.

Oh I know. Smile

I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Frown So my mom called the liquor store back to go pick up the Handy, and they had already re-drawn to the next person on the list.

Evidently, the voicemail they left her was from back in late November (same time they drew the Pappy Lottery) and she had 10 days to claim it or pass to the next on the list.

Next year, I'm just going to put my phone number as the contact. Oh, and she just got the voicemail I left on Halloween, she didn't know how to check her voicemail on her iPhone. Red Face

Oh well, there is always next year. Sorry gents.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Bummer man! Im gonna drink that juice tonight. And VW 13 rye tomorrow

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Oh that's a bummer (the Handy). I think you would have enjoyed it. The last two inches in a Stagg, Handy, or WLWeller bottle are some of my most favorite whiskey treats, so (more figuratively) chewy with all the teeny bits of sediment from the barrel/char. So so good.

quote:
And VW 13 rye tomorrow

Oh yeah? Did you score a bottle?

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Oh that's a bummer (the Handy). I think you would have enjoyed it. The last two inches in a Stagg, Handy, or WLWeller bottle are some of my most favorite whiskey treats, so (more figuratively) chewy with all the teeny bits of sediment from the barrel/char. So so good.

quote:
And VW 13 rye tomorrow

Oh yeah? Did you score a bottle?

Yes. A nice xmas gift for the jamaica trip. Couldnt get the 20yr.

It wasnt a "score" though. But thats that makes gifts fun. I refuse to buy from private sellers. At inflated prices, liquor stores for gifts i will.

Luckily my th handy was retail. 81 bucks. VW13 not so much