SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Oh yeah, Found my Woodford Derby bottle yesterday, been buying them since we went in 2017

was yours the 1L woodford?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
YESSIR

Except for the 2017 bottle, it's smaller

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Woodford is good bourbon, period, often slept on.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Woodford is good bourbon, period, often slept on.

My stepdad got me turned on to Woodford Reserve last year.
Maybe I'll get a bottle for myself, if this house buying/selling stuff gets straightened out.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15287 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like that they make very few things, at this Distillery and under this Brand, irrespective of who owns it.

No hedging their bets or chasing trends with a dozen expressions. They make a Bourbon, and a Rye, almost exclusively, and that sort or focus and confidence is respect worthy and rare-ish.

It's just good whiskey, in a cool bottle, fairly unpretentious.

I buy the Bourbon most often, but like the Rye, too. I keep the Bourbon around.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
YESSIR

Except for the 2017 bottle, it's smaller

Yeah I grabbed a bottle for our upcoming work Derby happy hour.

At this point, I'm a fan of all distilleries that can consistently keep products on the shelves. Woodford is solid.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Correction, my first one is from 2016 and it is a 1L but a slightly different shaped bottle

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay. I splurged a bit. I got a bottle of Maker’s 46. Chose between that, Evan Williams single barrel vintage 2014, HH BIB, Noah’s Mill and Michter’s. Based on my liking of BT, the 46 was recommended. Probably break it open later this week

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Louisiana over the weekend and I was able to pick up a 1.75L bottle of Weller Reserve for $88. I haven't cracked it open to try since I flew for this trip so I will not have the bottle until I meet back up with friends next month in Missouri.

I was amazed at the amount of Buffalo Trace products they had that can be tough to get around these parts. Good prices on Buffalo Trace, and Sazerac. I really wanted to buy the 3 bottles of Eagle Rare they had on the shelf but they were $75 ea. I can usually get it for $35 when I come across it here.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I bought three more bottles of the BF ET BiB. I passed on a handle of Weller SR for $49 as mrs kablammo indulged me in ET.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I got a bottle of Maker’s 46. Chose between that, Evan Williams single barrel vintage 2014, HH BIB, Noah’s Mill and Michter’s. Based on my liking of BT, the 46 was recommended.

Strange recommendation, Makers 46 based on liking BT... who suggested that, someone here or at the store? Nothing inherently wrong with Makers 46, but it has very little in common with BT, not in grain, mash, flavor, etc. Kind of amusing, really.

Makers 46 is fine, mind you. I've had a few bottles. Not as good as regular Makers, to me, especially the Barrel Strength expression.

That Evan Williams you saw was probably good, too. Noah's Mill, too, it's associated with Willett who put out some excellent whiskey, especially Ryes.

Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Woodford Reserve had a dinner at Fort Knox tonight. Master Distiller Chris Morris spoke and I got my bottle of Number 17 signed by him.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Nice^^^^

Had a great lunch break today. I stopped in a local pawn shop to check their wares, nothing notable. I noticed a Beretta case in the display case, I asked if it was for sale. Yes it is. I said that I wonder if it goes to the APX I bought about a month ago and had asked several times if there was a case. The guy looked up the transaction and verified that it was serialized to the gun I bought and he handed it to me. Case, extra mag, and backstraps Smile

My favorite liquor store is next door. I walked in and a stocking guy had two bottles of Willet rye in his hands. I didn't want to be greedy, bought one. This is good stuff

Image from the interwebs

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Can I ask a really dumb question?

When you guys say this is 'good stuff' does that apply generally to anyone who drinks bourbon? Or is that really just relevant for certain people, like in this case, perhaps people who specifically like Straight Rye whiskey?

Like if I buy, will I like it? Or it's possible that I may not like it because it's a style very different than BT (which I like)?

It's a dumb honest question because I don't really have exposure to bourbon. I had a bottle of Larceny which I gave away because I liked BT much much better. But the Larceny was supposed to be something I like given a preference sweeter and milder and fruity (generally wheated bourbon tendencies is my understanding).

How homogenous is bourbons? I used to drink wine and so I know that even a good cab may not be to someone's liking if they prefer pink zin or sauv blanc. (just for concept). So, a good cab may only be relevant to those who like cab wine (or something similar like merlot which might generally be mixed with cab).

In the context of bourbons, is good generally good? Or only good if you like a particular style of bourbon (styles and classes of bourbon still eludes me). Maybe I need to learn more about mash (the corollary to wine varietal?)?

In any case, my personal reference points currently include: BT (like), Larceny (ok but like BT much better), Maker's 46 (soon to try). All recommendations based on my preference for something on the sweeter and milder side.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I am unable to fully explain why I like something, tasting notes and all

If this Willet is like the previous bottles I had, it is very smooth for a high proof whiskey

When I first started getting into the bourbon/whiskey hunt to find what I like, I was drawn to the rye's because I liked the slightly sweeter taste. Here lately I have come to enjoy the bourbon's more, more complex at the start, middle and finish

I came upon the Dickel 8 year last week that I really like, lot's of character for $30

There are many here that can answer your question much better than I, they will be along shortly

posted Hide Post
Every palate is different and what is good for one is not good for another. Do you like brussel sprouts? I dislike them and if you like them there is a difference there. Bourbon, food, cigars, all taste different to each of us.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I ask a really dumb question?

When you guys say this is 'good stuff' does that apply generally to anyone who drinks bourbon? Or is that really just relevant for certain people, like in this case, perhaps people who specifically like Straight Rye whiskey?

Like if I buy, will I like it? Or it's possible that I may not like it because it's a style very different than BT (which I like)?

It's a dumb honest question because I don't really have exposure to bourbon. I had a bottle of Larceny which I gave away because I liked BT much much better. But the Larceny was supposed to be something I like given a preference sweeter and milder and fruity (generally wheated bourbon tendencies is my understanding).

How homogenous is bourbons? I used to drink wine and so I know that even a good cab may not be to someone's liking if they prefer pink zin or sauv blanc. (just for concept). So, a good cab may only be relevant to those who like cab wine (or something similar like merlot which might generally be mixed with cab).

In the context of bourbons, is good generally good? Or only good if you like a particular style of bourbon (styles and classes of bourbon still eludes me). Maybe I need to learn more about mash (the corollary to wine varietal?)?

In any case, my personal reference points currently include: BT (like), Larceny (ok but like BT much better), Maker's 46 (soon to try). All recommendations based on my preference for something on the sweeter and milder side.

Nobody knows what you will like but trying them is the fun. If you're worried about spending the money on a bottle, then go to a bar.

And yes, if you want to understand bourbon, you need to understand the grains, the mashes, the yeasts, and the aging process. You don't have to be a scientist about it, and it can't tell you everything, but generally speaking, bourbons with similar mash bills will taste more alike than bourbons with different mash bills.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I will treat reviews with a grain of salt. Bottom line - what a reviewer indicates as good may not be shared by me. I was wondering if there was more consistency in bourbon than in wine. Wine, for example, varies even by the same vineyard, wine maker, varietal by year.

Bourbons seem relatively immune to yearly variations. But seem to have some variation in 'single barrel' bottling (which is lost on me because of sample sizes of 1).

As far as I could tell, bourbons are relatively homogenous except where you can classify as straight or rye or wheated.

So, I still don't know what's different about more expensive bottles and why they are better. But so far, each time I ask people in the stores (other customers, store workers, etc), about more expensive bottles and how I like BT, they always say just get the BT as the cost difference isn't worth it (ie - relatively homogenous). 46 is different because it was basically the same price as the BT (w/in $5 on sale).

I've started to try bourbons at bars. So far, BT still coming out ahead. Smile

posted Hide Post
It is interesting.....this taste thing. For many years I bought Makers Mark bourbon and enjoyed it......especially in Mint Juleps during the Christmas season. About 1-2 years ago, either MM, or my taste buds changed(likely me), and it is no longer an enjoyable bourbon to me. Last Christmas the liquor store had a special sale on MM 101 proof bourbon, and I bought some. I have tried to like this liquor straight neat, on ice, and mixed.....no go!! People's taste do change and that is the fun of finding the bourbons that match your new taste buds.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks - I will treat reviews with a grain of salt. Bottom line - what a reviewer indicates as good may not be shared by me. I was wondering if there was more consistency in bourbon than in wine. Wine, for example, varies even by the same vineyard, wine maker, varietal by year.

Bourbons seem relatively immune to yearly variations. But seem to have some variation in 'single barrel' bottling (which is lost on me because of sample sizes of 1).

As far as I could tell, bourbons are relatively homogenous except where you can classify as straight or rye or wheated.

So, I still don't know what's different about more expensive bottles and why they are better. But so far, each time I ask people in the stores (other customers, store workers, etc), about more expensive bottles and how I like BT, they always say just get the BT as the cost difference isn't worth it (ie - relatively homogenous). 46 is different because it was basically the same price as the BT (w/in $5 on sale).

I've started to try bourbons at bars. So far, BT still coming out ahead. Smile

The standard, blended products from long-standing distilleries do tend to be very homogenous. A bottle of Jim Beam black from 2022 would taste a lot like a bottle from 1985.

Expensive bottles generally tend to be expensive because there is less of the product. If it's a "premium" product it is usually because
A. It is aged longer so it takes more time to produce it, which naturally means there is less of it. And more evaporates over time so, again, there is less of it.
B. It is aged in a premium location. There is limited space in that location so there is naturally less of it.
C. It is higher proof or barrel strength. There is less water in it so there is naturally less of it.
D. It is a selection of the "best tasting" barrels as determined by someone who "should" know. Someone like the master distiller or people invited to taste at the distillery.

Or it could be a combination of all of those. That's why single barrels, small batch, barrel proofs, store picks, and longer aged bourbon generally cost more. It's not rocket science... there's just physically less of it.

And there are also plenty of gimmicks and stories sold to us as to why this or that bourbon should cost more. Don't bite.