SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
That said, I'm looking forward to a sample of 1792 this evening.

Would be interested in a comparison to Buffalo Trace. I bought a second bottle of BT already but 1792 was in the running. Based on reviews, BT sounded like a better fit for me. But I really don't have a lot of confidence in the reviews as I don't know what their biases are.

For some reason I think you and I are on different ends of the country; I could be wrong.
If you're nearby, I'd invite you over -- you bring the BT (it's unobtainium within 120 miles of here), and I'll supply the 1792. Empirical evidence rocks, right? Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea. Awesome suggestion. I’m unfortunately still stuck in west coast commie traitor central. BT is very plentiful out here. Far away from Bourbon country. Ironic that we have more bourbon than there. Probably because the pussies here can’t drink it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Konata, is the 1792 available in your area at all?

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Would be interested in a comparison to Buffalo Trace.

I've been drinking Buffalo Trace well before it gained the cult following it has now and It's getting tough to get in my area but when I find it I buy all I can because it is my favorite go to bourbon although I think I have like 13 others to chose from in the cabinet. I like trying everything eventually.

Last night I opened a bottle of 1792 Small Batch that I had picked up recently because I wanted to see what all the hype was about it.

Pour a little over a shot into a glass and the nose was good, similar to BT in sweetness. First sip really took me off guard though. Hot, spicy like several Rye's that I have tried but the heat of the spice quickly dissipated and there was no burn. Very smooth. I'm horrible about being able to pick up flavor profiles so I can't give you anything there. I still struggled with where the Rye burn was coming from with each sip until I went to their website. According to their website they use their "high rye" recipe to produce this offering. Odd considering I don't remember seeing rye mentioned anywhere on the bottle.

If you do not like Rye's I do not know if you would like the 1792. You asked once before about pour bars and really they were just referring to bars. Before buying a bottle I'd belly up to a bar in a favorite restaurant and see if they have it because I've seen it in some around here. Order one neat and give it a try. Certainly cheaper than buying if you don't like it.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
1792 is available. But not sure which ones - didn’t pay much attention until recently. Sounds like the Sweet bottle might be a good fit. I can’t remember the price but I think it was a good deal more than $25 (BT price) which gave me pause since Larceny was also more expensive but I like the BT tremendously more.

Thanks for the tasting notes! I don’t care for the heat much. I accept it if it comes with other goodness like flavor. But don’t really care for heat in and of itself.

When I visit restaurants, which is pretty rare, I’ll look for their bourbon offerings. At taste here and there would be good.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond. I really like the 1910 and 1920 offerings and will look forward to cracking this one open.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Tried Angels Envy the other day. It wasn’t was I was expecting. A bit of a darker taste, like a newly charred barrel. Was that just me?

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Tried Angels Envy the other day. It wasn’t was I was expecting. A bit of a darker taste, like a newly charred barrel. Was that just me?

I just thought it was underwhelming. Maybe the proof was too low for my taste?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Just picked up a bottle of Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond. I really like the 1910 and 1920 offerings and will look forward to cracking this one open.

Haven't had a bad bottle of Old Forester yet. Another one of my "go to" brands.

I'm hearing that "they" (the kids these days) are blending the 1910 and the 1920, and calling it 1915. It's supposed t be rather good!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
I recently got into Stellum bourbon and Rye. Just opened a Stellum Single Barrel Cask Strength “Lyra” bottle and love it. 122 proof and got a solid review and 3.5 stars out of Breaking Bourbon. It’s $55 bucks and a great value compared to all these bottle we all chase.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I like Wild Turkey 80proof, which probably puts me on the low end of the line here.... but I do have a bottle of Pappy on order from my local wholesale guy.... unfortunately it is a gift for some good friends... if it ever shows up.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Must be a damn good friend.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Local Costco had something that caught my eye - “Handy and Schiller Barreled Old Fashioned” premixed Old Fashioned. At first I thought interesting, but I’ll pass given it was same cost as a bottle of Straight Bourbon. Seemed silly to to pay full “hard liquor” price for a premixed cocktail.

Then I saw two things that changed my mind - even mixed, it was 84 proof so “full strength” AND it is a made with Buffalo Trace Bourbon so I decided I would give it a try.

Damn good over ice, good flavor without too much bite.

[/url]

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Checking my Costco tomorrow.

I tried a shot of woodford reserve, neat. I like BT better.

Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 911Boss:
“Handy and Schiller Barreled Old Fashioned”

I really like it for a quick and easy Old Fashioned. They also make a Manhattan, which I didn't care for.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bad news for Bourbon lovers in Virginia.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/...s-policy-warehouses/

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Bad news for Bourbon lovers in Virginia.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/...s-policy-warehouses/

Wow, that is really something. I might complain about having a hard time finding stuff from time to time, but at least we aren't regulated down here in the sunshine state.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
It's been bad here since the nonsense began back in 2020. With the warehouse move, it's just that much more of a cluster fuck. Add in that the stores have started opening at Noon and delivery days, there's normally a line starting around 9am. I worked for the ABC store here at Lake Anna for a while and all I can say is the leadership give no fucks about anything other than their paycheck. Very cush career with little accountability. It's not gonna correct itself until the state monopoly is ended.

ETA: the lottery system is just as broken. No matter what the state says, it is not random. Working the counter it was always the same few people that came in to pick up their lottery items. I have entered every single lottery for the last 4 years and have never "won". EVERY SINGLE ONE!!! I've got an email chain that shows the back and forth I've had with one of the board members explaining the selection process. Suffice to say, it's garbage that leans heavily towards more populated areas, just like the distribution does. All of the ones that I've handed out were won by folks that live in NOVA Mon-Fri and only come down to the lake on weekends and holidays. Never did I receive a lottery item "won" by a local. Let's not even get started on how many "allocations" never make it to consumers. The good ol' boy system is in full effect with board members. They never seem to have a problem getting theirs Roll Eyes Rumor at the warehouse is they'll receive 10 cases and only 6 will make it to consumers.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far this spring I've had pretty good luck getting some stuff I haven't had in awhile. A buddy scored me a bottle of EH Taylor a couple weeks ago so I can finally open the bottle I've been holding for 3 years and yesterday a different buddy called to let me know he scored me a bottle of Blanton's. What made that one even better is he told me that this one is no charge and on him.

He also gave me a lead on another bottle. Hopefully that one pans out as well.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Went to the "Makers Mark Mile" at Keeneland race track last Friday, we had a ball. We did a tasting to select this years Makers Mark for the Breeders cup. Quite tasty

Now to find some when it's released

Oh yeah, Found my Woodford Derby bottle yesterday, been buying them since we went in 2017

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post