SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I jad lot b last night. Ive got to say its pretty good. Ive had everything but the pappy 20 and am i wrong in saying the lot b is the stuff that over oaked so they had to pull it? I like ORVW better than lot B. The pappy 15 isnt as oaky as the 12 yr lot b

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lot B has always been the step child of the line for me. Back before things went nuts and these bottles were reasonably priced and on the shelf there wasn't much going for Lot B. Sure t's two years older than the 10 year but it's less proof and more expensive. Add that Weller 12 was easily available for $20-$25 and Lot B was maybe sometimes just a tad better than the standard Weller 12 and there wasn't much reason to buy Lot B unless it really hit the spot for some reason. Now that things are crazy with impossible availability and often silly prices I buy Lot B at or around MSRP as trade bait only. As to over oaked I don't remember but it wouldn't surprise me. The entire line lives off the reputation of its former contents. That isn't to say it can't be good because some it is still very good but there's a lot of pressure to sell limited quantities to an ever ore demanding market. I joke that if it was any good it would have been Lot A.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but Grade B maple syrup is better than Grade A. Nobody tells the tourists, though.

I'm going to open a bottle of Lot B tonight and compare it to ORVW and W12. We'all see if you guys know what you're talking about.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Heres the results.

#1 OrVw sweet delicious. Taste of bananas.

#2 lot b too oaky

#3 weller 12 too thin

Smile

Had lot b again tonight. Yup too oaky!

Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
My results from my tasting notes this time last year:

#1 Lot B is OK, better than Weller 12 but kinda' in the same profile

#2 I like OWA107 more than W12 and probably more than Lot B.

#3 FML. OWA107 is a $30 bottle, not $80+ tonight.

#4 I shoulda' listened to the dude who rushed to the store at the same time as me when the Pappy email hit in late 2015. ORVW was likely the better experience. (I got the Lot B.)

#5 jigray3 ... I am living vicariously through you. Please post a review because my life is incomplete until then. Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
New OWA (red label) hit stores yesterday - $25.20 w/10% discount for GO Whisk(e)y Weekend @ Julio's in Westboro, MA. The new bottle/label must cost $3.00 per . . . . . Wink

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
My results from my tasting notes this time last year:

#1 Lot B is OK, better than Weller 12 but kinda' in the same profile

#2 I like OWA107 more than W12 and probably more than Lot B.

#3 FML. OWA107 is a $30 bottle, not $80+ tonight.

#4 I shoulda' listened to the dude who rushed to the store at the same time as me when the Pappy email hit in late 2015. ORVW was likely the better experience. (I got the Lot B.)

#5 jigray3 ... I am living vicariously through you. Please post a review because my life is incomplete until then. Big Grin

I don't know whether to be humbled or frightened by your comment. I am awful at picking out flavors, and explaining why I like something, but like most folks I know what I like, even if I struggle to explain why.

2015 Old Rip - just too hot and astringent for me to enjoy. Much more pleasant with some branch water added, but enough to lessen the assault on the throat, and the flavor becomes thin and one dimensional. I like higher proofs , but eludes the sweet spot where the flavors open up without losing body.

2015 Lot B - I'm not good at picking out flavors, but oak I recognize, and this is definitely not over oaked. It's has legs and an nice oily mouth feel, back of the throat burn but not unpleasant and meatier more complex flavors. This one is much more to my liking, though it's becoming obvious I'm just not a wheater guy.

2015 Weller 12 - much more wood, dusty oak rolltop desk, but not an oak bomb like EC18. Flavor is more leather and pepper. Drinkable, but I really prefer OWA107.

OWA107 - it lacks the depth of Weller 12, but doesn't suffer from trying to do too much. Much less oak, flavors in balance, spice blended with sweet nicely. Neither the body nor the finish of Lot B, but my number 2 here.

So, I'm left to wonder why my 2015 Lot B does not have the oak others are describing, and how my ORVW is so obviously the lesser of the four options. All I can say is my Lot B is superior to ORVW, and it's not close.

One thing seems clear, and that is neither the ORVW nor the Lot B are worth anything close to their secondary market prices.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommend a good online source for fine spirits? I am stuck in a Specs monopoly here. I can find blantons and the occasional elijah small batch or single barrel from a couple local stores that order it just for me. I cant find anything else good.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
People seem to like Ace Spirits. I use them because they will ship to VA, and they have some really good stuff periodically. You can even shop their website via recent arrivals. I ordered 4 bottles of the Four Roses barrel select Single Barrel Cask Strength OBSK and the shipping was $26.00. May not make sense for less expensive bourbon, but not bad for hard to get or more expensive stuff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Can anyone recommend a good online source for fine spirits? I am stuck in a Specs monopoly here. I can find blantons and the occasional elijah small batch or single barrel from a couple local stores that order it just for me. I cant find anything else good.

First you need to determine if spirits can be shipped to you. I believe TX is a no go though there might be shops willing to do it.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Jimgray it could be a year to year difference. Both of mine are 2016. So that vould be the reasoning or our palettes are just different. Great way to pick up flavors is to get a tasting sheet that has smells, flavors etc on them. Easier to figure it out if they are in front of you. After awhile it gets easier. Breakingbourbon.com has a decent sheet.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Deq, that's why I mentioned the year in my review, I knew it could make a difference. Also why I decided to give EC18 another chance. I won't buy another if this new one is as oaky as last year. I would trade or sell the 2015 Old Rip in a NY minute.

I have a wine tasting game called Bachanalia that has dozens of little jars with smells in them. I have only played it once cause it involves buying a bunch of wine and getting a bunch of friends together who want to play. In addition to being interesting and fun, it was supposed to hone you skills at recognizing flavors and aromas. Funny thing was the winner that night by a large margin was a friend who was a heavy smoker. It was clear he was born with a natural ability the rest of us weren't despite his smoking. By the end of the night he was able to identify wines the rest of us were guessing at.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Just scored two (2) bottles of W12 locally - $34.99 ea! Now I have enough to try a vatting of 2:2:1 and 3:2:1 OWA, W12, WLW, all in the interest of science, of course! Gonna' have to figure out the final proof, tho' - '15 WLW is 140.2 proof (woof!). Big Grin

Wish me luck.

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I did the 60:40 OWA107:W12, let it sit for about 3-4 weeks, and it was really quite nice. I certainly preferred it to W12 which I thought was oaky, and maybe a tad more than OWA107.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:

Ace spirits and master of malt. I do caskers periodically if something catches my eye, but they take a long time to deliver. MoM will ship to TX. But expectation management: you're unlikely to find rare or sought after products online.

Posts: 2395 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Every other Friday when the CSM's ex comes over to get the kids, I crack open a bottle or two. This week it was Turkey Rare Breed and Pendleton 1910 rye.

While the Turkey was quite tasty the 1910 blew me away. Going to buy another bottle for my stash. Wonderful sippin whiskey

http://pendletonwhisky.com/products/#product-4

Posts: 5315 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Is the 1910 malty? Canadian whiskey skeers me. I havent seen any decent reviews on how it stacks up

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Is the 1910 malty? Canadian whiskey skeers me. I havent seen any decent reviews on how it stacks up

Not malty, a bit sweeter than Bourbons. Berto turned me on to this page.

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/...isky-40-alc-vol.html

Posts: 5315 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

I get why. As I'm sure you know, in the US rye whisky must be 51% rye. In Canada, as I understand it, it technically doesn't have to have any rye in it, and can still be called rye whisky. I think a little research on the mashbill is in order before you buy, but there are some like Alberta Premium I'd buy if I could.

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Every other Friday when the CSM's ex comes over to get the kids, I crack open a bottle or two. This week it was Turkey Rare Breed and Pendleton 1910 rye.

While the Turkey was quite tasty the 1910 blew me away. Going to buy another bottle for my stash. Wonderful sippin whiskey

http://pendletonwhisky.com/products/#product-4

Yahoo - "Let 'er Buck!" Pendleton 1910 from Hood River Distillers in Oregon is Alberta rye in a fancy bottle. One of my "guilty pleasures" on a warm summer's day. Great stuff - "Cowboy whiskey." Did I ever tell you about my fling with a Pendleton Round-up Princess in my youth????? Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!