Find
Notify
Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Here’s more ouch: uhd blu ray comes with two disks - uhd and hd disks. Basically same price as hd blu ray - $29 vs $25

Happens alot. I've given away a lot of those Blu Rays to friends who haven't upgraded yet. I traded in most of my Blu Rays already for 4k discs.

Edit: Damn, I gave in, and I never do. Ordered the 4k disc just now. I should have kept my rental an extra week but I want to own it. Oh well, could have saved $10 in 3 months. I'm an addict.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I know this is a little bit of a drift, what is a good 4K disc player? I have an XBoxX that I thinking 4k, but I need to verify. I have a Dennon 3800, a mix of SVS and Axiom speakers currently running 7 speakers.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I know this is a little bit of a drift, what is a good 4K disc player? I have an XBoxX that I thinking 4k, but I need to verify. I have a Dennon 3800, a mix of SVS and Axiom speakers currently running 7 speakers.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/ad...ps5-or-xbox-series-x

I'm a Sony whore so my living/master both have X700's. My HT has the X800m2. I also have a PS5 but it's in my office hooked up to a 4k 27" computer monitor. I haven't used it for 4k blu ray viewing at all.

The article above also highlights one thing that hasn't been mentioned in regards to a stand alone 4k player. Upconverting. 1080p Blu Ray players or the panel can upscale 1080p content and it's better to let the panel do the upscaling. 1080p blu rays have never looked so good because of the upscaling.

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Thanks Prefontaine-
My Dune 4k disc comes Monday

I work all weekend nights this weekend.
My work de-stress will be Dune on Monday night.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about adding a second sub. This (I think) would allow me to maintain an excellent earth shaking sound without damaging my sub.

I am looking forward to spending time in Dune.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I think it's time I upgraded my TV and DVD/Blu ray player. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Dune is available again on HBO. Can’t stop watching it. New nuances each time. Really an epic story.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Two nitpicks I remember from the movie vs. the book was lasers would not be used like the Sardarkaur used them. Lasers + shields = Nuclear Explosion.

The 2nd will be fixed by the next movie, but they didn’t leave any hints about who survived the attack at House Atredies or leave any hints on where they ended up. That leaves a lot to jam into Part II, and this movie felt like it was 90 minutes long.

Posts: 4161 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I watched the movie more than 10 times now.

I was checking out the book. Seems like the movie will just span book one of three? Not all book reviews were favorable. I guess the gist of my reservation is whether the book will seem rather primitive, archaic, dated, simplistic after having seen the movie.

Also, seems like original hardback are hard to find. I don’t really like mass paperback. I prefer hardcover. I don’t really care for the mass market paperback cover graphics in particular.

Anyway - still good to read the book? Or just stick with the movie version?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The movie is great but the book is much better. I have read it 5 or 6 times. You will not be disappointed. Barnes & Noble has a really nice hardcover collectible edition. https://www.barnesandnoble.com...89?ean=9780425266540

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was checking out the book. Seems like the movie will just span book one of three? It all book reviews were favorable. I guess the gist of my reservation is whether the book will seem rather primitive, archaic, dated, simplistic after having seen the movie.

Also, seems like original hardback are hard too find. I don’t really like mass paperback. I prefer hardcover. I don’t really care for the mass market paperback cover graphics in particular.

read the book,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was checking out the book. Seems like the movie will just span book one of three? It all book reviews were favorable. I guess the gist of my reservation is whether the book will seem rather primitive, archaic, dated, simplistic after having seen the movie.

Also, seems like original hardback are hard too find. I don’t really like mass paperback. I prefer hardcover. I don’t really care for the mass market paperback cover graphics in particular.

An original, first edition hardback will be expensive. That is a rare first edition, and prices are high. I don't know who printed hardbacks after the original. There must be some re-issues.

The book is excellent. As you might guess, a book can contain more detail and nuance. It and the movie are good compliments to each other.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Okay, I'll search for the book in used book stores. Recent hardcover seems to be sold out and/or lots of typos / spelling errors.

Not sure what version to be looking for yet.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the gist of my reservation is whether the book will seem rather primitive, archaic, dated, simplistic after having seen the movie.

On the contrary, you’ll find the book much deeper, detailed, and nuanced than the movie.

It will also give you a greater appreciation of what a great job was done to convey the gist of the book without using voice-overs

quote:
Also, seems like original hardback are hard to find. I don’t really like mass paperback. I prefer hardcover. I don’t really care for the mass market paperback cover graphics in particular.

I think you’ll be shocked at the price the hardcover copies are bringing

I originally read Dune in the Mass Market paperback…but that was over 30 years ago. You might want to check into the Trade Paperback versions.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
there is a new release hardcover available - ~$22 on amazon.

I had to replace my copy, as my daughter "borrowed" it. I was visiting her, and realized where some key books in the collection had wound up. Dune, 1984, Brave New World, and most of my Phillip K Dick books...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. Okay, I'll search for the book in used book stores. Recent hardcover seems to be sold out and/or lots of typos / spelling errors.

Not sure what version to be looking for yet.

try bookfinder.com
or alibris.com
or abebook.com
or addall.com

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dune is available again on HBO. Can’t stop watching it. New nuances each time. Really an epic story.

I may have enjoyed it the second time more than the first because I caught more of those nuances.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I don't pay much attention to the Academy Awards but I was pleased to see that Dune won in six categories.
Cinematography
Visual Effects
Original Score
Sound
Production Design
Film Editing
Not only is it a great sci-fi movie, it looks and sounds great. I have it on a 4K disc and I just can't get enough of it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It should have won best picture also but unlike the sound, effects, cinematography, etc awards that are actually pretty legit, best picture will always go to a disability film, minority film, LBGTQ, etc.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
thopters that thopt

My favorite part.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post