New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Never read the book. Truth is, I’m just not a Sci-Fi, Fantasy fan. This weekend my wife said she’d like to watch Dune, so we did. I liked it. We both did. We may very well go see Pt. 2 in the theater.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it with my wife today. Very good and entertaining movie. Timothee Chalamet can act. Actually, across the board I thought the acting was quite good.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Just got back from seeing Dune 2 on an Imax screen. I thought it was a great story and beautiful scenery.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
We saw it Sunday as a family. Enjoyed it, but the theater was hot as the dickens..maybe part of the movie experience?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
We saw it Sunday as a family. Enjoyed it, but the theater was hot as the dickens..maybe part of the movie experience?

You should have been wearing your still suit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
We've seen some excuses from Hollywood about why movies didn't perform better, but I haven't seen this one before:

https://www.hollywoodreporter....-weekend-1235843358/

quote:
‘Dune: Part Two’ Premium Tickets Sold Out on Opening Weekend, Says Imax CEO

"We ran out of seats pretty much globally,” Richard Gelfond told an investors conference about the Denis Villeneuve sequel shot with Imax cameras.
Dune: Part Two sold out on Imax screens on its opening weekend, company CEO Richard Gelfond told an investors conference on Tuesday.

“We ran out of seats pretty much globally,” he told the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Technology Conference during a session that was webcast. Dune: Part Two bowed on 809 Imax screens and raked in $32.2 million in global box office, or a notable 18 percent share. The tentpole will open in China this weekend, with Japan to follow.

Like his friend Christopher Nolan with Oppenheimer, Villeneuve shot part of Dune: Part Two with Imax cameras. “So one in five people in the world decided to see Dune 2 on Imax and I think people haven’t paid enough attention,” Gelfond argued as cinema-goers opted to see the sci-fi thriller in Imax and other premium formats.

Villeneuve’s sequel that stars Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya opened to $82.5 million in North America this past weekend, double the first film and the biggest start of the year to date. It’s a major win for Legendary in broadening the audience for its Dune franchise, and is the biggest opening to date for Villeneuve and Chalamet.

After the success of Mission: Impossible 7 on Imax screens, Gelfond argued Hollywood studio execs are increasingly questioning whether their tentpoles would be shot using Imax cameras and play on its giant screens. He recalled Mission: Impossible 7 on its initial theatrical release “losing steam” when it came off Imax screens.

“I think that was like a wake up call to Hollywood and they kind of said, ‘we’d better lock in the Imax release early. Otherwise we’re going to come up short.’ So that’s been a catalyst for people to date their movies in advance,” the Imax CEO said.

As a result, Imax’s summer 2025 release schedule is already set in stone. “We haven’t publicly announced that yet. We have no room to put any more movies, because the filmmakers and the studios understand that there’s this global march towards premium when people want to leave their house,” Gelfond said.

The Imax chief also discussed artificial intelligence, which he has his eyes on. “I know it’s a cliche, everyone uses it to drive their stock price, but we could benefit a lot of ways from AI,” Gelfond said.

Imax isn’t selling any AI product or putting artificial intelligence experts in its boardroom. But Gelfond said AI tools can be helpful in running his operations. “That’s created enormous efficiencies for us,” he told investors.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Saw Part 2 this afternoon, and I thought it was fantastic. Well worth seeing in the theater.

(And it takes a lot to drag me away from my home theater and into an actual movie theater these days.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Eek I just popped into the Lair to ask a simple question on Dune. I hope you all forgive me for not reading the 12 pages thus far. I haven't seen it and don't want to find spoilers. Preface, I haven't read the book/books nor seen the films.

Simple and quick question.

Should I watch the old Sting version first, or is that unnecessary? I.E. Are the modern ones sequels to the old one, building on it?

And how many modern ones are there currently? Just two I think?

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Eek I just popped into the Lair to ask a simple question on Dune. I hope you all forgive me for not reading the 12 pages thus far. I haven't seen it and don't want to find spoilers. Preface, I haven't read the book/books nor seen the films.

Simple and quick question.

Should I watch the old Sting version first, or is that unnecessary? I.E. Are the modern ones sequels to the old one, building on it?

And how many modern ones are there currently? Just two I think?
Eugh, no. The 1984 version is not based on the book very tightly even though Frank Herbert was alive when it was made and IIRC, was involved with Lynch in writing the screenplay. It’s fun but it’s not Dune.

There are 4 Dune movies in total that I know about

Alexandro Jodorowsk version (canceled and unreleased, i think there’s a documentary about it)
David Lynch version (the Sting one)
Sci Fi channel miniseries (covers more of the books and is actually pretty good and accurate)
Denis Villeneuve version

They are all retellings of the same story so you don’t have to watch the others first. I have the part 1 on disc if you want to view it.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I have the part 1 on disc if you want to view it.

Part one of this newest series? I imagine I can stream it somewhere. I'm not sure we still have a disc player. Big Grin Maybe my kids xbox does it.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I have the part 1 on disc if you want to view it.

Part one of this newest series? I imagine I can stream it somewhere. I'm not sure we still have a disc player. Big Grin Maybe my kids xbox does it.
Yeah. I have Part one of this new version.

I also have the Sci Fi miniseries. I’m sure you can find both on streaming.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dune Part 1 is streaming on HBO Max.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
it was also on Netflix, but scheduled to drop soon, if not already
noticed it was on Amazon Prime, but as a buy or rent

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It dropped off Netflix on February 29th.

posted Hide Post
Part one is available on Hulu.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’m not a theatre guy anymore, but I went this weekend and saw Dune 2 on IMAX.

I was blown away. I had a couple of minor gripes (I didn’t like the time compression or the change in Chani’s character) but overall it was as faithful to the source material as a modern film can be expected to be. That ending battle in IMAX is absolutely overwhelming.

Now I just need Stilgar to follow me around and mutter “as it is written” whenever I do anything.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Now I just need Stilgar to follow me around and mutter “as it is written” whenever I do anything.

copaup: Posts something on SIGforum

Stilgar: Again, it is the prophecy.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
copaup shall know our ways as if born to them