New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dune Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Release of Dune Pt.2 delayed to March 15 2024 Link

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Newer thread…

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/9770094005

I quoted your post above in that thread. Thanks for the heads up!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Really, really late to the party, but I noticed earlier today that Dune is on Netflix. I hadn't seen it yet. I saw it this evening. I grew up on the original, and found this one to make a lot more sense so far. Really looking forward to part 2. I guess I'll need to finally read the book.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Dune was a great read when I was in high school. That was a long time ago. 35 years or so.

I think the problem with reading it now is that a lot of the sci fi/epic story tropes that Dune pioneered seem trite and cliched now.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Really, really late to the party, but I noticed earlier today that Dune is on Netflix. I hadn't seen it yet. I saw it this evening. I grew up on the original, and found this one to make a lot more sense so far. Really looking forward to part 2. I guess I'll need to finally read the book.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with Dune was the same problem I had with The Fatherland by Robert Harris. The first 100 pages are some of the most dull and painful exposition that I've ever experienced, but once you're past that, it's a fascinating and exciting roller coaster to the end.

The other thing to realize about the first Dune novel is only 2/3rds of it is the story. The last 1/3rd is basically Encyclopedia Dune and can be skipped.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

found out by accident last night and watched most of it before I got to tired,

saw it in the theater, and maybe 10 time on hbo before I dropped cable,

great version of the book

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
What's really annoying is unless you saw it in IMAX for the 1 weekend it was presented, all we've seen is a cropped version of the film itself.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Time to revive this thread! Heading out to see part 2 on Friday morning in IMAX. Can't wait!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5399 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I've got IMAX tickets for Sunday night. Hopefully the theater doesn't fill up more than it has already. Should be a nice time.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yeah baby!! Probably gonna see it next Wednesday the 6th at a matinee. Can't get to a theater before then without fighting hundreds of other people...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The only reason I'm doing opening weekend is my days off rolls around where I have Monday off. Otherwise I'd wait it out since it's likely to stick around IMAX for longer than 1 week like Part 1 did.

come and take it
posted Hide Post
Re-watched it on Netflix last night, and I think I enjoyed it more the second time. I've never read the books or seen the 80s version. The first time I saw it I thought it was visually beautiful but sort of half a story for such a long movie.

I'm looking forward to Part 2. I'm down to about 2 movies a year in the theater but I expect I will see this one on the big screen.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I will go see it this weekend. It will the only movie I have gone to the theater for since Dune part one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Saw Part 2 last night and was blown away. It completely surpasses Part 1. I was skeptical of the casting of Chalamet but he was great. Go see it in the biggest screen and best sounding theater you can.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night. While they did make some changes in the story, it was still very good.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
***** NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!! *****

If anyone wants to discuss the movie, plot, story, characters, ending, etc., etc., please consider starting a new thread. At the BARE MINIMUM, if you're going to talk spoilers in this thread, at least have the courtesy to provide a warning in your post with something like:

**** WARNING ***** SPOILERS ***** WARNING ***** SPOILERS ***** WARNING **** SPOILERS ****

Yeah...most here have read the books and know the story, but please don't ruin any nuances that differ from the book or 1984 version of the movie by posting something here.

Thanks and mucho appreciado!!!!

p.s. I am not intending to offend the two members above who posted about Part 2. Just wanted to give food for thought and nip spoilers in the bud. Thanks!

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX. Fantastic movie! Three hours goes by real quick! There will be a part three, that's for sure!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5399 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I thought it was very well done and hope to see #3

Posts: 4811 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The biggest problem with Dune was the same problem I had with The Fatherland by Robert Harris. The first 100 pages are some of the most dull and painful exposition that I've ever experienced, but once you're past that, it's a fascinating and exciting roller coaster to the end.

The other thing to realize about the first Dune novel is only 2/3rds of it is the story. The last 1/3rd is basically Encyclopedia Dune and can be skipped.

Well stated. I've advised my 17 year old son of this and he has persevered.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My wife took me to see part 2 at 11:20 am showing. It was very well done. There were changes from the book and I’m not sure if it’s going to change the course of the story even more in the next movie.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post