SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Classic songs from the 60's and 70's
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic songs from the 60's and 70's Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Carole, she wrote You've got A Friend and James recorded it also when they were pretty close but I always liked Fire and Rain from 1970 a tad more..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Wow. No Neil Diamond in the whole thread. Let's change that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet when this thread was created, no thought was given to a song from 1961

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another one of my favorite bands from the 70's that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Marshall Tucker Band. Lead singer and guitarist Toy Caldwell is a interesting guy. Wounded Vietnam vet marine who received a purple heart. He had two brothers both killed exactly one month apart in automobile accidents in 1980. He plays guitar without using a pick only his thumb.

I was curious about him so did some googling. Dead at 45 from suspected cocaine overdose. Man...

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I made a similar comment awhile back as Toy was one of my main Les Paul wielding influences and that sweet fat tone and sustain he got just using his thumb. This was my comment and this song showcases his thumb technique that hooked me!
In reading through many of the posts, I'd like to add a few honorable mentions that were favorites and influenced some of my playing as Les Paul wielders.

"Toy Caldwell from The Marshall Tucker Band (I'd also add that Toy's tone was contributed to some of the fact that he didn't use a pick, just the callous of this thumb to hammer out licks)"

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
This Marshall Tucker album is my favorite and may be on my top ten list of all time - I still play it all the time.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the foresight back then to realize that just because a roommate has an album, doesn’t mean I might not want it in my own collection later.

“One of These Days” from A Space in Time

Hope it doesn’t rock too hard for ya Wink

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
TMats, one of my all time favorite albums. Though I may have snagged the edge on you on page 8 already, another of my favorites on "A Space in Time" was also "I'd Love To Change the World" another of Alvin's greats. Patrick-SP2022 already beat me with that one on page 1. Cool It's taking a lot longer to go thru the pages for repeats, gotta love it! Great thread, though those removals from Youtube because of copyrights are thinning the heard now and then Roll Eyes

Regards, Will G.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Will, “I’d Love to Change the World” is typically the first song aficionados think of, and I actually knew it has been posted, but this is a great album. Alvin Lee was a monstrous talent.

I guess I didn’t know you posted the studio version of this one. Well, good to have a live version then

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Will, “I’d Love to Change the World” is typically the first song aficionados think of, and I actually knew it has been posted, but this is a great album. Alvin Lee was a monstrous talent.

I guess I didn’t know you posted the studio version of this one. Well, good to have a live version then

Alvin was one of my favorite guitarists, kinda reminded me of Ted Nuggent a bit. What started me was his performance at Woodstock in 69' where he played "I'm Going Home" he could really rip!

Regards, Will G.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I have always liked ‘Good Morning little School girl’. TYA was another one of those bands that peaked a little early. CCR, Grand Funk RR, Steppenwolf. Very popular, then declined interest missing the big bucks.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I purchased both A Space in Time (1971) and Cricklewood Green (1970) albums. I enjoyed this title from Cricklewood Green. He really starts jamming out those riffs burning up the fretboard at around the 2:30 and on.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Better have some Savoy Brown. There’s some nice lead guitar in this, but the drummer and bass really lay the foundation for a great song.

Straight ahead Rock

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Because it makes me smile.

Let the cowbell jokes begin

Forgive me if someone posted this already, I went through every page when I posted Savoy Brown, I couldn’t bring myself to do it again.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This thread was beginning to slip away, and there’s so much out there. This song is from Taj Majal’s debut album, and the only thing wrong with the live version is that Ry Cooder, who played on the album, did not play on this live perf.

There are a couple of stories out there on the connection between this album and Duane Allman learning slide guitar. One says he hurt his elbow falling off a horse and that Gregg brought him this album and a bottle of Coricidin. Duane was blown away by Ry Cooder’s slide work on the album, and had dumped the pills out, steamed off the label, and was teaching himself slide.

The other story is similar. Duane saw Taj Mahal live, with Ry Cooder.

Lead guitar is Jesse Ed Davis, one of my favorite “not many know about him” guitar players. Note the hatband on Taj Mahal made of beer pop tops. From 1968, “Leavin’ Trunk”

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I had the pleasure of seeing Taj Mahal solo, live, in an intimate overpacked club in Georgetown, DC. This was in the early 1970s. The club was the Cellar Door, he put on a great performance, and I have been a fan ever since.

Some 42 years later, he is still going strong at the 2013 Crossroads festival. Playing with Keb' Mo on a couple of classic steel guitars (a single cone and a tri-cone), Diving Duck Blues. He performed this same piece when I saw him at the Cellar Door.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Amazing, I finally got this Youtube video to display with the controls at the bottom of the menu bar! This new computer is killin' me Razz Anyways as previously mentioned I needed a pick-me-up tune from the olden days and I see the Joe Cocker version is on pg 3 but I needed the Beatles this day!

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Another few greats from the past..

Regards, Will G.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with any of those. I quit listening to popular music in the 1950. (Well, I did enjoy the Everly Brothers and Beach Boys.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post