SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21) Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I thought that The Mandalorian was the best Star Wars of all, but this show has just blown me away.

I LOVE the Tusken arc. From the movies (including the prequels), the Tusken Raiders always came across as just savage thugs. In The Mandalorian, they showed the Tuskens as nearly 'human,' with a complex social order, and complex interactions with outsiders.

Here, they really gave the Tuskens a real background, and showed them as just as 'human' as the human aliens. I was so impressed with the storytelling of the second episode. It was just AMAZING tv. They did the whole 'show, don't tell' approach. Instead of just having somebody give a big info dump/exposition speech, they showed Boba and the Tuskens learning how to ride the speeders, how to fight, etc.

You could go on and on about how "this scene was like 'A Man Called Horse' " (whatever that is - I've heard of it but never saw it). Or how the train scene was like a number of 'train heist' movies, and so on and so on. You can do this with nearly any show. Back in the 1960s, they billed the original Star Trek as "Wagon Train to the Stars." Firefly is "Gunsmoke/Bonanza in Space." The original Star Wars was influenced heavily by other cultural tales. Luke set out on the classic "Heroe's Journey," and the characters he encountered all have parallels in European and Japanese storytelling culture.

I really don't care. This was an amazing episode.

Sure, there are some nit-picking moments. For a legendary band of assassins, the guys from last week picked THE WORST method of assassination. One guy with a sniper rifle could have killed Boba before he even heard the gunshot. He wanders around with only 3 bodyguards (two Gamorrans and Fennec), and could be overpowered by a dozen motivated guys with handguns. Heck, even edged weapons would have been vastly superior to those shock sticks.

But, for me, the nit-pick moments were insignificant. I love this show. That Wookie makes Chewbacca look like a fluffy bunny. THIS Wookie looks like one who would 'rip the arms out of somebody who beats him at chess.' Or just because he didn't like your aftershave. That guy was terrifying.

I'm really enjoying this show. I like the Tusken arc a lot more than the 'modern' 'establishing his street cred' arc in the city.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how far they can go with the "kinder, gentler" Fett story line. Its just silly and completely unbelievable that someone is going to be a successful crime lord this way. He needs to get ruthless or find another line of work.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
You could go on and on about how "this scene was like 'A Man Called Horse' " (whatever that is - I've heard of it but never saw it).

It was a classic short story we read in school. I hadn't meant it as an insult. I very much liked the episode.

A Man Called Horse (short story)
A Man Called Horse by Dorothy M. Johnson was originally published as a short story in Collier's magazine, January 7, 1950, and was reprinted in 1953 as a short story in her book Indian Country.

Plot summary
The protagonist is a Boston aristocrat who is captured by a Native American tribe. Initially enslaved, he later comes to respect his captors' culture and gains their respect. He joins the tribe by showing his bravery and, later, gets back his dignity by marrying his owner's daughter, killing rival Indians and taking their horses. Taking the native name "Horse" (he was treated as a horse), he becomes a respected member of the tribe.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I'm not sure how far they can go with the "kinder, gentler" Fett story line. Its just silly and completely unbelievable that someone is going to be a successful crime lord this way. He needs to get ruthless or find another line of work.

He was ruthless and it made him so careless, it nearly got him killed by a happenstance move from a disabled opponent.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
In Empire/Jedi, Fett had 6 minutes of screen time with 4 lines (and he managed to almost argue with Darth Vader without showing ANY fear or intimidation - NO ONE other than Moff Tarkin, Leia, the Emperor, or Luke did that and lived.). It was quite easy to maintain his badass persona with so little screen time.

I will say that if they make Fennec do all the heavy lifting, there's no reason to keep Fett around.

I’m getting the definite vibe, more so after seeing the second episode, that Fennec seems like she would be a much better local crime lord than Boba is. Thought the second episode was better, but still warming up to the show. I’m not hooked yet like I was from the first Mandalorian episode. At this point, I’d be more interested in seeing The Book of Fennec Shand.

Also, I think a lot of Boba’s popularity from the movies is because he had his own cool ship.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Kinder, gentler? He's Rodney Dangerfield now. He gets no respect.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
The entire Tusken Raiders arc is like The Man Called Horse (and many others).

Dances with Banthas

Tustonka

(finger horns)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
That Wookie makes Chewbacca look like a fluffy bunny. THIS Wookie looks like one who would 'rip the arms out of somebody who beats him at chess.' Or just because he didn't like your aftershave. That guy was terrifying.

His name is Black Krrsantan and he's got an interesting back story.
quote:

In 5 & 6 Fett was all business. Laconic in his answers, decisive in his action and measured in his movement, not a lot of dilly-dallying. The first two episodes, while I'm enjoying it, he's removed his helmet a bit too many times for somebody functioning in the Star Wars universe, particularly somebody who's trade is in violence.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
<SNIP>
In 5 & 6 Fett was all business. Laconic in his answers, decisive in his action and measured in his movement, not a lot of dilly-dallying. The first two episodes, while I'm enjoying it, he's removed his helmet a bit too many times for somebody functioning in the Star Wars universe, particularly somebody who's trade is in violence.

I guess I’m holding out for something to happen to make him snap back to the old ways.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

1. It’s Disney
2. It’s Disney
3. Have to make it “kid” friendly. Ruthless is not Disney’s way. See #1 and #2

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
<SNIP>

I guess I’m holding out for something to happen to make him snap back to the old ways.

I'm hopeful, the Favreau/Filoni team has delivered some solid entertainment. The majority of air-time so far has been dedicated to Fett rehabilitating himself post-sarlacc. I would imagine they'll wrap-up that part in the next 1-2 episodes to connect his reacquiring Slave-1 and tracking Din Djarin.

Actually...the more I think about it, the entire 1st season may consist of episodes that are split between his piecing himself back together and the present, attempting to be a crime lord. He's established trust and acceptance with the Tuskens so far, he now he needs to find his ship, discover Cobb Vance who has his armor, rehabilitate Fennec after her run-in with Toro/Djarin and then pursue Djarin to Tython to get his armor and go full-Tuskin Raider on a bunch of stormtroopers.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, wondering where the last episodes are headed.
I still think that the flashbacks with the Sandpeople are nost just filler to merely answer what Boba has done between the Sarlacc and getting his armor back, but rather to support his story in the present, which seems so far quite unrelated to the Mandalorian.

Also, of course Danny Trejo had to show up eventually.

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All throughout the first few episodes, I was thinking I hope Boba has some better security that’s not obvious because he sure looks pretty vulnerable when he’s there tripping in his Bacta bed. Guess this episode answers that question.

Also, who knew that Rancors have feelings and are just misunderstood?

Finally what’s up with the Joan Jett led biker gang of GQ models on Skittles candy-colored hoverbikes? Can you make a biker gang more lame?

It’s almost getting to the point where I just can’t anymore.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
All throughout the first few episodes, I was thinking I hope Boba has some better security that’s not obvious because he sure looks pretty vulnerable when he’s there tripping in his Bacta bed. Guess this episode answers that question.

Also, who knew that Rancors have feelings and are just misunderstood?

Finally what’s up with the Joan Jett led biker gang of GQ models on Skittles candy-colored hoverbikes? Can you make a biker gang more lame?

It’s almost getting to the point where I just can’t anymore.

That was terrible. I knew they’d “kid” it up at some point but geez that was awful. Those damn bikes were so shiny. I mean not even the fancy Imperial ships were like that. And the colors? On Tatooine? It was just absurd. It reminded me of the Borg in Trek vs. the high school kids on those hover boards in that bad Back to the Future sequel. All they had to do was have them in rags/robes with ragged out but modded up bikes. Instead it was a GQ models deal like you said. And then the “This planet used to be covered in oceans”, I’m like dude, is this Dune or Star Wars, I forget?

Sad to see. The last episode was so promising and a great story. Mando was OK, nothing spectacular to me but at least the 2nd season was a marked improvement from S1 as I didn’t care for S1. But this showed some promise with that last episode with the Raiders. Yeah I’m in the same deal, just can’t anymore. If these kids are prevalent throughout this deal, bye + service. I only signed up to see Mando S2, and see the beginning of this to see if it showed promise. At this point I think I can sign up for this service once a year, for a month, and be done with it. Put me in the camp of the original trilogy + Rogue One. If these series are anything to go by, the Obi-Wan series is gonna have the same faults. Soap Opera like Star Wars now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Are you guys watching the same show as I am? Episode 3 was great! Jam packed with EU stuff and they’re literally building the world in front of your eyes.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you have to know the EU to get it, then I’m out.

A wookie on steroids that needs electrified brass knuckles and doesn’t rip anyone’s appendages of? A gang of Brits who ride Vespa speeders and has equally silly weapons. Fett saying “Everyone one is watching, wait for me to make the next move”. To quote Judge Smails, "Well, we’re waiting”.

At least the flashbacks are interesting.

I’m not bothered by the water reference. It is the Dune Sea and all the sand had to come from somewhere.

Posts: 10822 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ep3 was awful. Just awful.

The wookie fight scene was pathetic.

The cyberpunk gang with the colorful tricycles is a joke.

The fact that he's supposed to be running things but has a grand total of 3 people in his "army" is completely ridiculous.

The Hutts trying to kill him then backing off a day later is beyond stupid.

Him letting the wookie go after being rewarded with him is more Favreau writing BS. We all know the wookie is coming back to save Boba Fett because of this. So. Predictable.

The series started off promising but after this episode it's just another SW POS spinoff.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Episode 3 was just...poor. And boring. Not a good combo. The series started out OKAY, but trending in the wrong direction. I'm really hoping it takes a turn for the much better very soon. Like legions of other teenaged boys, I geeked out on Boba Fett back in the day/year/decade...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Agreed. He needs to start killing people.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post