SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21)
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Book of Boba Fett (Dec '21) Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Damn shame about Cad Bane...

Posts: 11414 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Damn shame about Cad Bane...

He may not be done in as there was some beeping going on as he laid there. Was it calling his ship or some rescuers to retrieve and repair him?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16515 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I really wish they'd hire military advisors for episodes like that. What, with a tiny bit of effort, could've been a great battle, was just a huge clusterfuck that didn't make any sense.

This country has been involved in 20-years of actual no-shit combat, you'd think, Lucas Films could hire a few people to review with the director and script writers, what actually goes on in a gun fight and what tactics you use to deal with it. Roll Eyes

Fett & Mando rocketing out of the cantina, gun blazing...only to land outside the front door, 20-feet away from where they were Eek . Absolutely zero tactical advantage, in fact they placed themselves a in worse position since they were now in the open, with zero cover. Nobody thought to seek higher ground? Maybe out flank their attackers? ...just a thought

Freetown people showing up, parking in the front of the cantina, with everyone huddled behind it...it was moving before, why stop? Now the Pykes have no problems identifying where their targets are.

Scorpion Death Robot with shields is blasting away at everyone, meanwhile everyone keeps shooting back despite its shield is clearly repulsing them. So the strategy is to keep shooting at it... Roll Eyes

Boba Fett leaves, goes back to the palace 20-miles away....to get the rancor? You could've summoned his ship, Slave-1, to meet outside of town or at a space port; that wrist gauntlet has that capability, we've seen it before. Nope, gotta get the rancor, who hoofs back the 20-miles back into town, gotta show everyone he could ride it, then have it destroy the town...despite remarking earlier that the robots would destroy the town. Your ship and its guns could've taken out the two robots.... smh

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was bad, and Disney should feel bad.

(Not quite Game of Thrones finale bad, but getting close.)

I take interweb rumors with a big grain of salt, but it certainly did appear that they realized they screwed up, then had to scavenge part of Mandalorian Season 3 to insert into the middle to buy time to scramble some rewrites/reshoots for the rest of the season at the last minute. Even with all that, they failed.

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scorpion Death Robot with shields is blasting away at everyone, meanwhile everyone keeps shooting back despite its shield is clearly repulsing them. So the strategy is to keep shooting at it...

And then when the shields are finally down... stop shooting at it.

Very underwhelming. The action just seemed lame. Yeah lets send 8 guys with sticks against the 10 foot tall super Wookie with the heavy blaster cannon.... ok

The entire Pike syndicate is what, 20 people? And the other gangs are 6 Aqualish and a dozen Trandoshans? That's what you are afraid of? You have Boba Fett, one the best and most feared bounty hunters in the galaxy, The Mando, another top notch warrior, Fennec, a Master Assassin, Krysanten, a super wookie pit fighting champion and bounty hunter, and the Vespa Kids.

And yes, lets not go to the Palace with its ships and defenses, lets stay here in the open. As was mentioned, where was Slave 1? Where was Mando's new super Naboo fighter?

The fight with Bane should have been much better. We didn't get to see Bane's jet boots.

The thing about Fett that made him so dangerous was always how smart he was, he was always 10 steps ahead. But apparently after falling in the sarlacc he got stupid. (Also when they killed the EU)

What a disappointment.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yeah, it was bad, and Disney should feel bad.

(Not quite Game of Thrones finale bad, but getting close.)

I take interweb rumors with a big grain of salt, but it certainly did appear that they realized they screwed up, then had to scavenge part of Mandalorian Season 3 to insert into the middle to buy time to scramble some rewrites/reshoots for the rest of the season at the last minute. Even with all that, they failed.

Agreed. I’d go a step further and say this is a Covid show. I’ve seen films and a few series where it’s obvious it’s covid time and the overlords are just throwing some shit together to put out some sort of content and keep people subscribed to their bullshit app. Canceling this shit tonight myself as I have no interest in the superho series, only SW. At least we got that one really good Mando EP out of this deal. That was the best EP of this Disney series stuff so far. I like the Raiders arc to this story as well but they even screwed that up. Better writing would be the other Tusken tribes all show up to help Boba at the end and whoop ass. Nope, we’ll get the settlers from the outpost to assist. What a joke. At least the kid is back where he belongs. I’ll resub once Mando S3 comes out. Until then I have to show Disney my disapproval and vote with my wallet.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12929 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the posts since I last posted to avoid spoilers, so... I started to watch it earlier. I got about fifteen minutes into it and fell asleep. I woke up about halfway into it. I also finally watched Rise of Skywalker with my son this past weekend. I fell asleep during that film as well. I don't know what that says about Disney Star Wars, but it isn't great. I will have to watch Boba Feet again later. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I liked it. My kids loved it. You guys realize it’s Disney Star Wars and not Full Metal Jacket. The reviews I was hearing from relatives made me expect it to be awful. I don’t think it was. Yeah it could have been better but that goes for basically all of Star Wars. I think you guys are expecting a bit too much from what is essentially a kids show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I liked it. My kids loved it. You guys realize it’s Disney Star Wars and not Full Metal Jacket. The reviews I was hearing from relatives made me expect it to be awful. I don’t think it was. Yeah it could have been better but that goes for basically all of Star Wars. I think you guys are expecting a bit too much from what is essentially a kids show.

Your writeup does a great job of articulating my frustrations with Boba Fett. Disney never promised us a “John Wick” experience; I think that especially since the superhero movies have gone so “dark”, many of us yearn for a darker version of our childhood favorites.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12402 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t consider the show watered down for kids. There was a fair amount of violence in the show. The fight between Boba and the Wookie at the palace was fairly violent, as well as when Mando went to the meat packing plant (or whatever) and ended up killing almost everyone in the room (including cutting a guy in half). Also, there’s Boba mowing down the biker game with Slave 1, and even the end with Fennec stringing up the mayor. Granted, it’s PG-rated violence like the movies, but it’s not fluffy bunny kiddie stuff.

The main thing people dislike is what they consider to be stupid storytelling with the main character being quite different than almost everyone expected.

Posts: 3407 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be the only one, but I'm disappointed with Grogu's choice. I want Mando to be a lone gunslinging bounty hunter, unencumbered with child care. I don't want a single dad faced with constant child rearing dilemmas.
I don't want episodes of the child being mischievous, getting into trouble and Mando has to save him, or Mando is in over his head and the child uses the force to save him, then passes out from exhaustion.
I was relieved to see Grogu go away with Luke, thats where I wanted him to be.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You take damn near 40 years of imagination running wild and couple that with Disney and you don’t exactly have a winning combo.

I would argue a story of a hired gun who worked for a gangster would be too dark for Disney to pull off plus Mandalorian enjoyed the fact that it was so unexpected and it didn’t have the fans thinking about his story for years upon years before they got any new material.

I was a HUGE Star Wars fan when I was younger. Thinking back to those days what I wanted most was to see Boba Fett get out of the pit, see another rancor somehow and what it would look like if he tried to take over after Jabba. They more or less didn’t deviate from the things I wanted to see when I was much younger. You ask other fans what they wanted and hell you might get a lot of different responses ranging from him going to work for another crime syndicate somewhere else to something similar to what I described to something completely different.

I was fine with the story for the most part but the execution had issues. I still enjoyed it from a nostalgia standpoint and giving me the scenes I always wanted to see. My kids absolutely loved it and all for different reasons. I thought it was fun but I am not that invested emotionally in the franchise since it tends to be hit or miss anyway. Overall I thought it was fun so I can’t complain too much. I’ve had a blast seeing my kids enjoy this and the Mandalorian like I did when my brother and I first watched the original trilogy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both are critical, Theory isn't as harsh since his channel is entirely focused on all things Star Wars so, he needs to preserve some level of access. His main point, the story arc had the potential to be interesting however the script couldn't articulate it and what showed up on the screen was a mess.

Drinker just unloads, the show was a disjointed disaster that comes across as just content. If all you care about is having 'stuff on the screen', which is what an 8-year old can digest, then this show was fine. Beyond that, the show showed a lot of problems.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I may be the only one, but I'm disappointed with Grogu's choice. I want Mando to be a lone gunslinging bounty hunter, unencumbered with child care. I don't want a single dad faced with constant child rearing dilemmas.
I don't want episodes of the child being mischievous, getting into trouble and Mando has to save him, or Mando is in over his head and the child uses the force to save him, then passes out from exhaustion.

Don’t know whether it was the original plan or not, but the massive popularity of Grogu meant that there was zero chance he was going to stay with Luke. There is no way Disney is going to miss out on revenue by essentially dropping a massively popular character from the show. Ultimately, it’s a business.

Posts: 3407 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

Don’t know whether it was the original plan or not, but the massive popularity of Grogu meant that there was zero chance he was going to stay with Luke. There is no way Disney is going to miss out on revenue by essentially dropping a massively popular character from the show. Ultimately, it’s a business.

That is fair and probably realistic. I watched the series with my 19 yr old daughter and we both enjoyed it. Military tactics aside, I thought it was fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So here's the thing with me. I saw Star Wars when it came out. I was 8. I had comics, trading cards, action figures. I saw it 11 times in the theaters. My mom (whom I love dearly for doing this) clandestinely recorded it on cassette tape for my brother and I the last time we saw it in the theater (before it was re-released all those many times). We wore that tape out listening to it. By the time I was in college, I had seen it 187 times, after which I stopped counting. Nothing was more formative in my life.

But, like many things, while I kept the faith in my heart, the franchise did not try to keep the faith with me. Because it is not a religion, its a business and NOTHING pounded that more home to me than Revenge of the Sith. What "faith" I had was already shakey with Ewoks, and Phantom, and Jar Jar and you name it, and that movie broke it.

BUT, then I had kids. And they started watching. And they began to get opinions and stuff about this thing that I loved and lost and still had a thing in my heart over.

And then I realized it was not about me, and those like me, and those growing up like I had. It was a business. A business I could use to entertain myself if I chose but DID NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ME EXCEPT FOR THE MONEY I MIGHT SPEND. And so I started to look at it that way.

And so every time I see something and say to myself, "What in the high holy f@ck were the writers who plotted that out thinking?" I stop myself and say: "[s]elf, that was gamed out 17 ways to Sunday and those that don't care about you, but care only for the business did that. What do you really care about that decision?" And I realize that, really, I don't. Was it maginally better than something else I could have spent 40-60 minutes watching? Mostly yes, sometimes no. But my kids like it so, ultimately I get outvoted.

In the end, will I continue to watch? As long as the boys say "yes" then I'll be there. But when they realize that it really is more or less copies of other stories plopped into the SW universe and those who care about that universe only care about $$ and that there are A LOT of better, original stories out there, I will turn my back on it until I have grandchildren to turn the wheel again.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2070 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Slightly off track, but I think most of us know it was over when we heard this sound for the first time…

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12402 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
A couple honest reviews that sums up my feelings on The Book of Boba Fett:

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Critical Drinker was spot on said what I’ve been saying the whole time. Just “content” and overly long scenes, bad writing, directing, and character development. Boba Fett is now a big wet pussy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12929 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow. I'd love to see the Star Wars apologists try and polish that turd.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post