SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

I'll bet they take their components to bed.

Ha ha ha....sleeps with components. Should start a comedy tour. Seems you posted earlier you had nothing to add in this thread. At least you're holding true.... Smile

Offgrid, yes the mount is on the side pretty far back. Yes most of the guys do all of that or more. Don't need many "good" rounds per match so you do everything you can to make sure they're the same and maybe give an edge. The gains seem to get smaller after a point and that's why I'm only taking it that far for those matches. Will be trying H4350 and the JLK's in the other rifle starting out. Should be much less sorting at least.

I'll take the level since you're offering it up. Very generous of you. Thanks, I could use one.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
This morning at 14° before the wind came up...

Segregated several once fired Lapua cases by weight.

Neck sized those with .001" of grip in my Whidden FL die with a .289" neck bushing.

Segregated several 130 Berger VLD's by base to ogive ddistance. All within .001" .

Seated over 40.50 grains of H-4350 down to the hundredth of a grain. Courtesy of my Gem Pro scale.

.005" jam, seated with my Whidden die.

At 100 yds. Five into .321" avg velocity 2858 fps. EXTREME SPREAD=FIVE FPS!!

I'm where I'd hoped to be with a little bit of care segregating bullets and cases. One five shot group is hardly a thorough test, but I think the segregating and accurate charges are THE solution.

Thanks offgrid and jelrod.

Awesome Frank. Glad to see its working out. I really thought velocity would be more with that bullet and h4350 from your 28" barrel. May end up sticking with Varget on my 28" gun now. Just will have to test both I guess.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
quote:

I'll bet they take their components to bed.

Ha ha ha....sleeps with components. Should start a comedy tour. Seems you posted earlier you had nothing to add in this thread. At least you're holding true.... Smile

What I said was " I don't know what I could contribute to it;". It seems this discussion of long range rifle has degenerated to loading practices for tiny groups at 100 yards and I certainly don't have anything to contribute here.

But I can see it now: "who's got the pretty ogive? Yes you do. Yes you do." and "Wow, what a meplat, can I fondle it?" And the ever popular "Let me touch your boat tail, dear." Smile

The funny thing is that sometimes performance at 100 yards just doesn't perpetuate to 600, or 800 or 1000 yards. You can spend a lot of time and components futzing around at 100 yards just to be bitterly disappointed with long range performance. I've seen it with competitors way too often. While it is important no to leave points on the loading table, there is more to LR shooting than little bitty groups at 100 yards.

Trigger time and condition awareness are a few of those things.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
The way this winter has been, I was lucky to get out TO 100yds. It took me a majority of the day just to do that.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Ahh when I look into my bullet's meplats....Smile

Seriously, the astute reader would pick up that I was speaking of loading for 1000 yard benchrest and long distance steel shooting. I completely agree with testing at distance and not only trusting Chrono ES while developing. Think I even said it...

I am guilty of leaving certain things out of posts sometimes when I "know" the guys and what and where they shoot. I have no doubt Frank will test his load at distance after he's done with development.

I am curious on your findings sorting your JLK's. I remember reading somewhere you picked up a sorter a while back. How much variance have you seen? My 6.5's have been on order for a while.

posted Hide Post
I got a sorter and I got bored after a while. The variances were so small, I figured I had better things to do with my time so I put the gadget right next to that other unused device, the runout indicator from Sinclair.

The way I see it, as long as I can hold under .4 MOA at 1000 yards in competition, I have better things to worry about besides my ammo.

Also, I think we all understand that benchrest and F-Class are NOT the same.

Benchrest is a relentless equipment race.
F-TR has a point where "good enough" is reachable with equipment; the rest is up to the shooter.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
The way this winter has been, I was lucky to get out TO 100yds. It took me a majority of the day just to do that.

Same for me. Tough to get out anywhere when it's below zero or when the wind is 20-35 mph.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same for me. Tough to get out anywhere when it's below zero or when the wind is 20-35 mph.

This winter has been unreal Mad I'm really missing my rifles.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I tried to lug a 2/3 IPSC plate out the other day. Got about 50 yards. Thought I was going to blow a gasket.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a sorter and I got bored after a while. The variances were so small, I figured I had better things to do with my time so I put the gadget right next to that other unused device, the runout indicator from Sinclair.

The way I see it, as long as I can hold under .4 MOA at 1000 yards in competition, I have better things to worry about besides my ammo.

Also, I think we all understand that benchrest and F-Class are NOT the same.

Benchrest is a relentless equipment race.
F-TR has a point where "good enough" is reachable with equipment; the rest is up to the shooter.

Glad to hear that about the JLK's. Thanks

Won't argue about the games being different. I like them all for different reasons and won't speak badly of either of them. Certainly have different challenges and none easy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In my neck of the woods, we have two words for such weather -- ski season.

Actually it's more than just two words. It's yee-frickin'-haw, hubba-hubba, cowabunga, woo-hoo, bite-me-sweltering-heat... SKI SEASON.

Posts: 7990 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Glad to hear that about the JLK's. Thanks

Won't argue about the games being different. I like them all for different reasons and won't speak badly of either of them. Certainly have different challenges and none easy.

I don't speak ill of any of the shooting disciplines; they all have their challenges, their attractions and their idiosyncrasies.

I salute anyone who competes earnestly; that's what it's all about.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Experiences with the 6br have been slightly different. I have not had to do near the things as with this one to get single digit ES. Lots of variables and I have no clue why. Different caliber, powder, bullets, gun, so who knows.

Hope this gives you some ideas to try and maybe others can share their observations concerning ES.

Shot 50rds today through my 6x47, confirm zero, chrono the load, practice for an upcoming match, have some fun..... Rifle/load shooting very well. This barrel is a touch more accurate than the last.

Doing very minimal brass prep, new brass necked down, trim, chamfer inside/outside necks, no sorting. Not sure why the chrono numbers are good, as jelrod1 stated, who knows?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Glad that load is doing well. There's something special about 6's in a short fat case.

The level was waiting on me when I got home tonight. Will mount it tomorrow. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Ya, the 6x47 is a sweety of a 6MM for sure, I'll be shooting one for years to come.

Local barrel maker Mark Chanlynn is about to start a 6MM run, going to order a couple barrels. Stopped in his shop last week, that was a treat on so many levels!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Stuck the level on tonight and did a lot of dry firing and practicing positions. Can see the bubble fine over the parallax knob. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Your welcome.

Looking for a single shot follower for AICS mags, where did you get yours? Work OK?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
This is the one I got. Was a tighter fit at first than I wanted but with a little fitting works fine. Rounds slide up the ramp well.

Tikkaperformance had them for around 55.00 when I got mine. Think you can buy direct from OBS too.

http://www.originalbobsled.com/BoltGunSleds.aspx

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I had NO idea that a Bobsled existed for the DBM systems!! I need one of those.

Weather is supposed to moderate this next week. Currently here in Craig, MT at 1209 PM it is -9° with winds courtesy of Mr. Kestrel at 10-13 mph.
Tried to clean the drive a bit and it's simply too painful with the wind chill.

Military channel and the loading bench are both in my future for the day. Come ON Spring!!

I'm absolutely dying to get in some shooting. It's been a long winter.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
Well I know I'm not the only one on this forum who is just getting started shooting longer ranges. I was so confused yesterday when I was trying to refresh my memory about everything I have learned about MOA, since my new LR scope uses MOA, that I made this chart out of frustration.

I also made some charts for my specific loads at different ranges, but they likely won't help any new guys out if they're using different loads than I am.

This chart is for anyone's personal use that has a need for it. It shows you how many inches a given MOA is at different ranges. It really helped me visualize what was happening. It is generic to caliber - so you can use it with any caliber and any load. Please let me know if there are any errors, so that I can fix them!
It's always possible that what I THINK I understand - I don't actually understand at all haha.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

Posts: 4601 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post