SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fritz:
Lessons learned from BR have trickled down to all shooting disciplines. But it's not my game. /QUOTE]

Things I take away from the BR game and F-Class Open is caliber and bullet choices.

Two of the steel matches I shoot are on "square" ranges. Max distance 610yds. I'll eventually chamber a single shot 6BR for those two matches, put it in a AICS or XLR stock. Every 6BR I've shot, including my brothers, has been silly accurate, easy load work up, great brass..... Easy to see why the 6BR holds so many records. Believe it's the perfect 600yd cartridge.

The BR is not my game either. If it was the only LR game in town, would be shooting beside jelrod1.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

The stuff you recently picked up from Kyle allow to ride your rifle like that?

Not sure. Stuff hasn't made it here yet to try. I don't think it'll ride quite that well though. May surprise me just will have to try it.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The BR is not my game either. If it was the only LR game in town, would be shooting beside jelrod1.

jelrod1 is handicapped in the BR game due to the specialization of the equipment. I make the comparison to car racing -- jelrod's using a Formula 1 car to compete in a funny car drag race. If he can be competitive in the BR game, IMO his actual shooting skills are likely superior to those with nailed-down non-portable howitzers.

jelrod1 -- I'd really like to see you win one of your matches.

Turn the tables to a Steel Safari-type match and I'm pretty certain the Formula 1 driver will be cruising along on the 5th station while some BR guys will be somewhere near the 2nd station, looking up at paramedics with AED paddles.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

jelrod1 is handicapped in the BR game due to the specialization of the equipment.

While certainly true with my Sentinel rifle I'm hoping the XLR gets me a little closer to them. Ill be in LG and not with the heavies. I'll just be missing the action and will have to work my bolt and load with the same hand. That might make me not as competitive for best group when conditions are changing but won't hinder me for score and that trumps group although there is a winner for both.

Just comes down to being a different skillset. Reloading and wind reading skills rise to the top. In a match last year here all competitors got DQ'd in a relay for completely missing the paper. 42" target. Some wind reading skills could have made a difference there instead of just running with it trying for group.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks and certainly not what I thought is be doing. Shot skeet for the longest and was the only thing around. Moved to rifle and for long range this is it. I mean I could travel nearly 4 hours to a steel comp but realistically that's hard to do on a regular basis. Hopefully some come around. I do enjoy shooting the steel.

I'm doing things in reloading I never thought I'd be doing and learning a lot about what matters. Wind is my main focus now and catch myself watching it everywhere I go. That's going to be the difference in whether I win or lose at this range.

Picture of 30PlusRetlaw
posted Hide Post
If possible, can everyone post a pic (other than the ones that already did) and a list of the parts/upgrades and rifle name and model? I will be buying a bolt gun in the future and want to make an informed purchase. Thanks in advance.

"What I would die for?
My faith, my family, my friends, my freedom and my flag" Tony Zinni

Posts: 3291 | Location: Some where close to some one | Registered: March 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Picked my rifle up from the Cerakote guy yesterday...Short of the adjustment knob for the KMW comb I'm waiting for....It's DONE!!

Looks like we may have decent weather this weekend ,so maybe I can get a Range day in and stretch it out to 500 or 600 yds.

Hate to say, but I forget the exact color of tan he used. The bolt was done in titanium. It all blends nicely.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FN in MT, looks great!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For you guys shooting at steel, this is a good way to hang your steel. Friend just ordered 6 of them. The range we shoot at doesn't care if we leave T-posts up. Make it easy to set up/take down for sure.

I've bought steel from him in the past, he occasionally runs specials. Good guy to deal with, good thing he's doing there.

http://forum.snipershide.com/s...l-targets%2A%2A.html

FN in MT, another stage idea. A friend shot a match in Las Vegas, one of the stages he shot was a "know your limits" at 100yds. 1 1/2" dot, 1, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4. 1 minute time limit.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Just got confirmation for this steel match in Va. Only 42 slots available.

http://garylarson1976.wix.com/...#!matchdetails/c1jbj

Should be fun to get my feet wet in this style comp. Shot this course before with the .308 barrel on the Sentinel rifle. Will be a little different setup for this match target wise and positioning. Didn't know, but they hold monthy matches here as well. Going to try to make a few of them. Between that and the 10 club benchrest matches with the other rifle should be a full year.

There are some DMM team matches and a few individual matches Northeast of me in the state but they are farther than VA. Would like to get a couple of those in but it's going to be tough.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:

Should be fun to get my feet wet in this style comp. Shot this course before with the .308 barrel on the Sentinel rifle. Will be a little different setup for this match target wise and positioning. Didn't know, but they hold monthy matches here as well. Going to try to make a few of them. Between that and the 10 club benchrest matches with the other rifle should be a full year.

"Stressors" and no zero range, show up and shoot, cool!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:

There are some DMM team matches and a few individual matches Northeast of me in the state but they are farther than VA. Would like to get a couple of those in but it's going to be tough.

Igot my confirm last night as well. Last spot on the roster.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats 280nosler for getting in.

Have any specific questions about what I'm using for these types of matches, glad to share what has worked for me. Rear bags, dope cards, shooting sticks, slings........

Do you know what some of shooting positions will be? If so, start dry firing/shooting in those positions.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Got into this match also May31. This page has some pics of some of the positions in both this, and the fall Guardian match. Rocks, vehicles, obstacles and such.

http://bangsteel.com/BangSteel_Challenge_2014.php

Looks like fun and I have been messing with some obstacles this weekend to take to the range next weekend. There is a regular match there I'm going to make on March 15, but it is supposed to all be shot prone. It'll be great though to confirm dope there with this barrel before the bigger matches.

Working on getting my dope cards in the format I want right now. The DA based cards are working well just trying to get them consolidated into necessities that are easy to read. I remember seeing the one's Mongo posted a while back and liked the format but can't find that thread now.

Offgrid, Did you end up doing the cards like in that PRS video? If so how has that worked out? Those videos have also been great for position tips.

posted Hide Post
I'll put together a hybrid of the cards in the PRS video. His cards with the drop... has a little too much info for me. Will make cards every 1000 DA, 50yd increments to 400 distance, 25 increment to 1150, 10 and 15MPH wind holds (half/half, double/double..) Also have a card similar to his DA/Temp card. Probably only carry two cards (ex: 1000 and 3000) during a match once DA is established.

The biggest thing to take away from the PRS video tips is building your position. Practice the positions you hate.

I can give you and 280nosler a long list of mistakes I made at my first PRS type match. This one is funny, used too long a piece of para-cord attaching my dope card to the scope, hanging on the left side of the scope. The 25+ mph winds blew the card over as I was racking the bolt, cord got tangled/stuck on the bolt inside the action. Beep, your 60 seconds to shoot 6 targets is up! Huh, what?!

Guessing this is the type of card layout mongo was referring to?

http://demigodllc.com/datacards.php

posted Hide Post
I should get my Steyr SSG 04 in 300 Win. Mag next week and hope it will do well with the Steiner 3-12X50 34mm Military scope. I am sure it will kick (maybe) less than the Barrett 99A1 50cal I just sold.
I am sure the new Sig 3000 in 308 will not come close to the 300 WM loaded with 220 to 250 grain bullets. I never fired the Sig yet and not sure it is even new as i just got it today and there ws no grip Sig-Sauer tape or test target. The bolt looked like it was worked in the receiver (wear seen). This was listed as a new gun by a well known dealer on GB.

Posts: 896 | Registered: February 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

How do you like it compared to an AICS?

A friends comp rifle (Bighorn actiom, Bartlein Heavy Palma 22", 6x47) in a KMW stock. He just picked up a CG Extreme two stage trigger and asked me to adjust it, excellent triggers. The trigger I use.

Very similar stocks. Would I like better about the KMW is the flat in front of the mag well, natural place for your support hand. It weighs less, his rifle is 12.5lbs (15lbs with scope/rings?), my rilfe scoped with a 26" medium palma 16.5lbs.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I wish I could simply get in a 4-5 hour RANGE day so I can finalize some loads for both my rifles...then get LOADING!
First we have two bouts of way below zero/snowy weather. NOW we have non stop (short of midnight to 0600) 15-25 mph or worse winds. If it's not mirage off the snow it's too windy to keep a crono up.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Bright color choice on the Sentinel stock. I think they weigh slightly less than AICS without the IMB and slightly more with. Difference is minimal though. Mine has it. Probably going to pick up one of the new AI stocks that looks like the AXMC for something else.

Been wanting to try a CG trigger for a while just so used to the Jewells.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice thread and some awesome rifles posted!

I just recently moved and got my small smithing operation up and running here in NM. I am eager to start some new builds/projects.

Heres my entry! It started life as an old worn out Weatherby Vanguard youth model .223. I cut the barrel off and rebarreled with an Obermeyer 6.5mm 5R Rem Varmint contour, chambered with a PTG .260 match reamer, finished at 21 inches with a crown copied from a USMC M40, opened the bolt face up from .223 to .308 diameter, added a Manners T4, IOR 10x42SF daysight, Burris Fastfire 45degree reflex for close range, machine my own bolt knob from the left over barrel blank stump, added a CDI bottom metal and AICS mags.

I just recently got set up with a supplier of nice custom aftermarket actions patterned after the Winchester/FN model 70 for just under 700.00 my cost, and with Benchmark Barrels at about 275.00ish, my cost. I'm eager to chamber/build one and see how it works out.

I used to be a primary marksman/observer for a police dept. SRT and decided to get back into it a couple years ago. I built that rifle specifically to go to Greenside Trainings Precision rifle course, and also used it for a precision rifle course sponsored by Las Vegas Metro PD. The gun shot like a dream and made me look good Smile

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post