SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
résidait cajun regardant un couyon tête du pays
Picture of neiltus
posted Hide Post
I just came home with this lightly used specimen.Seems it was too heavy for intended purchase so it was offered at a pretty decent discount:

Surgeon Build in AIXS Chassis, 20" Heavy Palma, sling and 4 magazines, shot less than 30 before coming to me. I threw some glass on it and went for a 44.5g varget with a 168 pill and it shot very well….now to decide on the permanent glass NXS 3.5-15x SFP ZS or USO 1.80-10 ftp.

Shoots well, just need to stretch the legs a bit. considering a class next month.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Nice stick! If it's too heavy for YOU let me know.

Posts: 165 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifles chimper and neiltus. I'll be picking up one of the new AX chassis when they come out for another project.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle neiltus. Those actions are tough to come by for sure.

If your scope budget is at the USO 1.8-10 price and you don't mind used, consider one of these. If I'm lucky enough to pick through a prize table at a big match this year and there's a USO on the table, I'll pass and take a lesser valued prize. One of the many advantages to shooting matches, see stuff first hand, what works, what doesn't..... seen many of them have problems, one of which was mine a few years ago.

http://forum.snipershide.com/o...l-dot-ill-w-ard.html

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
résidait cajun regardant un couyon tête du pays
Picture of neiltus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Nice rifle neiltus. Those actions are tough to come by for sure.

If your scope budget is at the USO 1.8-10 price and you don't mind used, consider one of these. If I'm lucky enough to pick through a prize table at a big match this year and there's a USO on the table, I'll pass and take a lesser valued prize. One of the many advantages to shooting matches, see stuff first hand, what works, what doesn't..... seen many of them have problems, one of which was mine a few years ago.

http://forum.snipershide.com/o...l-dot-ill-w-ard.html

Cant spend more $ right now, these are existing glass I already have.

I would not turn my nose up at that though...

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Neiltus....Nice find! Congratulations and good shooting.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Got this back the other day with a 6.5x47 28" tube. Hope to do a charge weight test with h4350/140H this weekend if work allows.

Got in on the group buy from Mile High on the new Magnetospeed V3 and it came in also. Played around with it tonight and like it so far. Will try it out this weekend also. No matter what they say, I won't have it attached until after I find the best load then check velocity. Just don't like the idea of something attached to the barrel while doing load development. The V3 bracket has a couple places for alternative future mounting they are working on. The display is very user friendly and I like it's features.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look forward to your range report, guessing 39.5-41.5/H4350 will be the ticket in your longer barrel.

A buddy with a 24" 6.5x47 is shooting 140 Hybrids/37 Varget/CCI 450's/2780. He went through 1K of the 130vlds, then tried the Hybrids, since picked up 2K of them. Hybrids are excellent bullets, easy to tune.

Shot a few rounds through a Magneto chrono, group open up/POI shifted with it on my medium palma barrel.

Of the various 6.5's, Creedmoor, 260...... I believe the 6.5x47 is the one to get.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Not happy at all so far with the 140/h4350 combo. Too high ES (29) and 1/2 to 3/4" groups. These were at touch though but weighed to the kernel. Going to run another round through jumping them and another test with Varget instead.

On a higher note the Sentinel rifle is still doing well with the 130/Varget combo. Ran 5 through without the Chrono attached and 5 with. Surprisingly no POI movement. Also still very good ES.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Nice ES. I have been jonesing for a Magnetospeed but don't work up enough loads to justify the cost. I will solder on with the old chrony.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding ES on the 130 load!

Try a big jump, everyone around me shooting Hybrids are jumping them. 105 Hybrids/.050 jump shoots very well for me in my 6x47's.

.040 in my buddies 6.5x47/140's.

Its cool you don't have a POI shift with the chrono on your barrel.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
So, after shooting in a couple 300 and 400 yard competitions the past few months, I finally bit the bullet. There's a private club with a 600 yard range a little under an hour from me. I called them up earlier tonight. Membership is $72/year. I have to attend a club meeting in order to sign up, so that's may 15th. After that, I should be good to go. Smile

I can't wait. Need to start reloading now. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
jelrod , nice pics ! Just picked up a V3 myself.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Here is my budget setup:

Tikka T3 Varmint .308
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
Seekins rings
EGW rail
Barrel threaded and cut to 22” w/thread protector
SWR Specwar brake
KRG X-Ray chassis (accepts AICS mags)
Atlas v8 bipod

Short Action Customs here in Ohio did the barrel work and they did a great job.

I just got the X-Ray chassis and so far I really like it. The best part is that it only weighs ~1 lb more than the factory stock did so it’s not bad to carry at all. I can also reinstall the factory stock in just a few minutes if I wanted to for a hunting trip.

The Tikka was already an excellent shooter out of the box so I’m excited to try it with the new setup. I look forward to sharing my results and learning as I go.

In the factory stock:

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Here is my budget setup...

That doesn't look "budget" to me at all. Nice rig. Shoot the bejesus out of it.

Posts: 7997 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I guess it's all relative. It seems like a budget setup to me compared to some of the awesome full custom builds I've seen on here. And yes I will be shooting it plenty! Smile

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brett B, congrats on getting the KRG. Very nice set up for a "budget" rifle!

It's cool a few companies are now making stocks for the Tikka actions/rifles, excellent actions. A friend just bought a KRG for his R700. The stock is a well thought out design. Clearly see the Magpul influence.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I joined that 600-yard private club yesterday.

The layout is kind of weird, I think.

That picture was taken standing on the 600 yard shooting berm, looking downrange. From right to left in the foreground: 25 yard berm, 50 yard berm, 75 yard berm, 100 yard berm, 200 yard berm. At ~275 yards there's a creek. Then, once you get over the creek, there are three more shooting positions: A berm for 300, one for 200, and one for 100. All three of those berms utilize the same impact area that the 600 yard berm does.

The main impact berm/backstop is about 40 feet high, with the huge numbers over each target area. There is a ~10 foot high berm in front of that with a concrete wall behind it. Between the two berms are the target racks which raise a 6'x6' target frame up over the first berm.

So, essentially, if you want to shoot 300 yards, you hang your target on a 6x6 frame, raise it, and then drive 300 yards back and start shooting. If someone shows up and wants to shoot at 600, they are ass-out until you finish.

The club claims to have ~300 members. Last night's meeting was about 30 guys. Myself and 4 other people joined last night.

I'm told that sometimes I might show up at the rifle range and it will be deserted, other times it may be full (there are 10 lanes).

At least there's a road to get down to all the different berms.

We were unable to locate the outdoor pistol range (I has mistakenly thought it was at the same place as the rifle range - have to call and ask about that). The indoor pistol range is nice, with 10 shooting lanes and target hangers that rotate so they pop out for training/competition.

Membership was pro-rated, so it cost $24 to join last night. September is the new membership year, at which point it's $72 per year. After I've been a member for 6 months, I can buy a key to the clubhouse/indoor range for $150 if I so choose.

This weekend is an NRA high-power match, so I won't be able to shoot. Planning to go next weekend. Might hit that 300 yard range I was at last weekend, we'll see.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Nice.

How does it work in winter? Wink

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Nice.

How does it work in winter? Wink

It's open all year round, though I'm not sure exactly what the conditions are.

However, if the roads GETTING to the range are any indication, then I will only be using the place during no snow periods. The roads are BAD. VERY bad. No way you're even getting there without 4WD.

The clubhouse/indoor range is in town, all paved roads the whole way there, so I'd have no issues shooting indoor pistol if I so desired. 22LR rifles are also allowed, but no centerfire rifle indoors.