SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
What caliber would you consider if increasing the herd?

I'm open for options. We probably should take this off-line. My email address is listed in user summary.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
What caliber would you consider if increasing the herd?

I'm open for options. We probably should take this off-line. My email address is listed in user summary.

Oh man, we could add at least a couple pages to this thread with a caliber debate! I'll drop you an e-mail.

6MM: 6x47, 6 Creedmoor, 6 Competitive Match, 6XC...

6.5MM: 260, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 SAUM(new cool kid cartridge).....

Been beat by all the above and have beat all the above with my 6x47's. Have to admit I enjoyed beating a guy shooting a 6.5SAUM/140 Hybrids at 3180 with my punny 6x47/105's at the last TriggerTime match Big Grin Don't believe all the internet crap about spotting hits at distance shooting a 6MM, fellow Colorado member Alpine spotted my hit at 1153yds looking through Nikon Monarch 10X binos at that match. Alpine also got a hit on that target with his 300WM/208 Amax's/2900fps. Ya, his hit was easier to spot, bigger clang. But hey, a hit is a hit!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have a few shot out barrels, you're welcome to them.

Seen this? I know Beanland uses this jig.

http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/page25

Yeah I talked to him about that and have had my eye on it. Slick for sure but I have some decisions to make. Hard to justify just for myself and low quantity. May do a few with the copper wire 4jaw front/spider rear method before deciding.

Thanks, and I'll let you know when I get closer for a shot out barrel. Setting back would be great for practice.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Here's a cool brake demo.

That's amazing.

Certainly is. Wow. Can't imagine a range around here that would let me conduct that test. Nor would I want to.

Offgrid, 140 hybrids doing 3180; sound appealing for sure. Congrats on beating him.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had somewhat of a 2014 Opener Event yesterday at the Range in Townsend MT. Simply a free "get to shoot steel to 1K" event. It was ten degrees and we had 2" of snow overnight when I loaded up to head out. "Spring" in MT.

Temps were in the teens when I arrived and rose to maybe 30 degrees by the afternoon. Wind was variable but generally 2-6 mph.

Three layers of clothing, Filson wool vest,long johns and insulated Carhart pants...a lot less comfy than my normal summer time shorts, t-short and Teva sandals!

It was a learning experience with my new Kestrel 4500 with AB. I'd played with it at home a bit, but hadn't used it for solutions yet. I've already found that my wind estimating tends to be on the HIGH side, so the meter has given me some immediate positive feedback already.

My new 6.5 x 47 Lapua finally got to shoot past 100 yds. Great rifle. I had few issues making accurate hits out to 650 ys.

I shot the new rifle a bit, then shot my old .308 to make sure it was still "on" ,then took a warm up break. Afterwards I got new data on the Kestrel, and made a first shot hit on an 8" plate at 1K as well as a 10" plate next to it.

I know...two shots are hardly a thorough study in accuracy...But it still made me feel pretty good.

Still have some bugs to work out and need to get a good laser rangefinder as well. But it was a good first day to start getting data for the new rifle and get back into shape again.

FN in MT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FN in MT,

good to hear you stretched out your 6.5x47. Congrats on getting 1st round hits at 1000yds, that will boost a guys confidence!

What was your accuracy issue at 650? Wind, elevation? I haven't used the AB program (I'm using JBM), some of the guys I shoot with tell me they have to tweak the BC....on various programs.

I too am in the need of a range finder. One of the advantages of shooting matches is I get to look through other shooters RF'ers at targets.... Probably going to go with the Leica 8X binos. Of the monoculars, the Terrapin is the king, the Zeiss PRF would be my 2nd choice.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My issue past 650 was the wind. I was always close, but only a few good hits. With the hills and coulees at the longer ranges the wind was tough to estimate. The locals who shoot this range mentioned it can be tough to get the wind calls right due to the terrain.

I was fine with my .308 as my data is pretty good from a year of shooting. The new rifle is still a learning experience.

The Ketrel data was really pretty close. I had resisted getting the Kestrel as I'm hardly a Tech guy...but the controls are easy to figure out and I'm surprising myself how I can get what I need without too many button pushes.

And the learning continues...

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
It's nice to get out huh?...

Heading up tomorrow for some R&R. Bringing the stick with. Hopefully some of the snow will be melted by me and I can get the steel out.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finalized the load on the 24" 6x47, it's shooting very well with 34.8/Varget/105 Hybrids/.050 jump @ 3020 with 300rds on the barrel. Of the three 6x47's I've had chambered, this one is a tad more accurate than the other two. Happy with my choice on the lighter XLR stock, probably sell off another AICS stock and put my 40X 22lr trainer in a XLR stock.

I normally take off the front scope cap when shooting matches on non-square ranges. In between cap sizes for the scope, the size used is very snug, broke two of them (hinges) taking them off/on. A fellow shooter has been using camera lens caps on his scopes for awhile, he gave me one to try. Screws in where a sunshade would go. It works great, can't perceive a difference with it on and it protects the scope glass.

Crappy picture of the lens cap on the scope.

posted Hide Post
What you are talking about is a UV filter, not a scope cap.

I have a UV filter on all my camera lenses as it both protects an expensive lens and filters out haze when taking pictures.

As with any optics, the addition of a lens cuts down on the light that comes through and so you want you filters to be multi-coated, not just some clear glass.

I have considered but have not acted on, getting some UV filters for my riflescopes. I leave the sunshade on all the time on the target or match rifles and that acts as protection for the front lens without any optical issues.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
What you are talking about is a UV filter, not a scope cap.

I have a UV filter on all my camera lenses as it both protects an expensive lens and filters out haze when taking pictures.

As with any optics, the addition of a lens cuts down on the light that comes through and so you want you filters to be multi-coated, not just some clear glass.

I have considered but have not acted on, getting some UV filters for my riflescopes. I leave the sunshade on all the time on the target or match rifles and that acts as protection for the front lens without any optical issues.

Probably not the best choice of words on my part labeling the lens as a scope cap, that will be its purpose on my scopes.

Looking between two of the same scope, one with the lens, one w/o, targets in full sun, targets in the shade, reading small lettering on paper targets..... I could not perceive a difference.

posted Hide Post
Nope, you would not. The filter you show is multi-coated, which would decrease the loss of light quite a bit. The only place where you might see a difference would be in lowlight situations and even then I seriously doubt it.

I was trying to convince myself that a filter is not desirable when in fact it's an excellent idea. After I wrote my earlier message I remembered the other reason I did not add a filter on my FTR rifle; weight (I'd rather have the shade than the filter.) It's very close to the limit. After the next barrel and bipod change, I'll reconsider adding a filter.

Good idea and thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot two matches with the lens filter/cap in place of standard scope cap, one match shot in snow/rain the other very dusty. Won't ever go back to using a Butler Creek front cap. Ordered a couple more of the lenses.

Just turned 8000rds on this Bighorn action, to say its smooth is a under statement.

Congrats to fellow Colorado member Alpine for the win at Saturdays match in very tough wind conditions.

posted Hide Post
Love my 6.5 Creedmoor in AIAX
Come see us if in Nebraska. 1kplus.com
Call Scott (info on website) Steel out to 2000 yds.

Posts: 165 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chimper,

you happened to be shooting this match? I plan on it. We previously lived in Seward. Catch up with some good friends, shoot a match....

http://www.mwts-training.com/SAPPRC

posted Hide Post
First I've seen of it. If we aren't picking corn (too muddy), would love to. As a farmer from 1st of March thru Thanksgiving, I have no life. Lucky to have our range 10 minutes from home and can squeeze off a few rounds in the evening once in while. Hope to meet you someday.

Posts: 165 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chimper:
First I've seen of it. If we aren't picking corn (too muddy), would love to. As a farmer from 1st of March thru Thanksgiving, I have no life. Lucky to have our range 10 minutes from home and can squeeze off a few rounds in the evening once in while. Hope to meet you someday.

I travel to Iowa and Nebraska a few times a year to visit family. I'll drop you an e-mail the next time driving through.

Specs on your 6.5CM, load, barrel......

posted Hide Post
Trued M700 donor action. Bartlien barrel (being threaded for SDN6). 140gr AMax over 41.9gr 4350.
Range is 5 minutes south of I80, Lexington interchange. Dave Emary (Head ballistic scientist at Hornady) does there long range testing here. Have even had Gunny here to tape an episode of Lock 'n Load.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chimper:
Trued M700 donor action. Bartlien barrel (being threaded for SDN6). 140gr AMax over 41.9gr 4350.
Range is 5 minutes south of I80, Lexington interchange. Dave Emary (Head ballistic scientist at Hornady) does there long range testing here. Have even had Gunny here to tape an episode of Lock 'n Load.

.260 Remington?

My .260 with a 21 inch Obermeyer 5R likes 42.0 grains of H4350 or 42.4 grains of AA4350 to get 2700fps. I love it!

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6.5 Creedmoor, but .260 Rem is a very similar caliber. I like them both better for longer ranges than .308. Less recoil, less wind drift. Throw up high BC 6.5 bullets and they almost fly on their own! Wink