SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Bright color choice on the Sentinel stock.

He does get teased about his stock. He ordered it asking for a even amount of red, white and blue. Dry fired his rifle a bunch last night getting that trigger just right, like that stock.

If you don't have a scope lever, suggest getting one for shooting those steel matches. Very fast to zoom in and out.

Here's the one I'm using. Plug for a local shooters company.

http://www.3gunstuff.com/

You and 280nosler should take a road trip and shoot the SniperCup here in Colorado, you too FN in MT! Registration opens today. I'll be there.

http://forum.snipershide.com/s...n-february-15th.html

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Road trip that far would be fun for sure and that looks like a great match. With 14 comps already on the calendar for this year it's probably not possible though for me. Good luck. I'm having to drop the first bench rest match now, bumping for a steel match in VA. A lot farther to go but would rather shoot it instead to prep for the bigger matches.

Beanland coming to the Steel Safari this year?

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
this thread should maybe be tacked,,,,,(sticky)

and what ever happened to nikonuser?,, thought he would be all over this thread,,

Nikon left us some time ago.

His goodbye thread was in the reloading section.

I stopped by for a visit to the Reloading area and exx1976 (if that's his real name,) suggested I visit this thread. I don't know what I could contribute to it; I'm just an F-TR shooter with a puny .308 match rifle.

I just bought an AR-10 in .308, but since it's not one of those fabulous SCARs that shoot sub-MOA at 1000 yards offhand, I'm just totally outgunned.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new setup Ken226. Would like to see some pics of a rifle with your new components when you get one built from them.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I just bought an AR-10 in .308, but since it's not one of those fabulous SCARs that shoot sub-MOA at 1000 yards offhand, I'm just totally outgunned.

Suck it up, buttercup, and learn to live with inadequate equipment. Wink

Real men don't blame their tools. Along this line, I'm thinking of using a stock Hi-Point to compete in this year's Bianchi Cup. Doug Koenig should be worried.

Posts: 7990 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Real men don't blame their tools. Along this line, I'm thinking of using a stock Hi-Point to compete in this year's Bianchi Cup. Doug Koenig should be worried.

I'm not blaming my equipment, well not directly. I mean, I realize how totally awesome and incredible the SCARs are, and how they seemingly transform the ordinary but dedicated plinker into a fearsome 1000 yard one-round, one-kill operator, but I wanted the AR-10.

So now, I have to live with it.

Well, a Hi-point is ok, you would have more of an edge with a Taurus. Tremble, Koenig.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NikonUser,

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

I'm not blaming my equipment, well not directly. I mean, I realize how totally awesome an incredible the SCARs are, and how they seemingly transform the ordinary but dedicated plinker into a fearsome 1000 yard one-round, one-kill operator, but I wanted the AR-10.

So now, I have to live with it.

Well, a Hi-point is ok, you would have more of an edge with a Taurus. Tremble, Koenig.

A real man would bring a Jennings.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20387 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Practiced building positions, shooting, then break and rebuild today. Didn't shoot until I had the position solid no matter how long it took. The sitting position while resting the fore end on a cable was by far the toughest and finally had to use a combination of bean bags and ruck pack for body support. Gonna be practicing that one more at home before I go back. Will be a couple similar positions at the May match in VA so I want to be ready.

Conditions were brutal today and couldn't drive to the targets. Had to set up at 5 and 600 yards only because that was as far as I wanted to carry steel. Winds were steady at 17-20 mph with gusts well over 30. Really liking this 6.5x47 Berger 130 combo and the DA based cards I made have been spot on. DA at shooting time was 180. Hit the cold bore at 500 holding a little over 2 mil wind.

Now that I've tested the cards a few times I'm going to make them out and laminate, then attach the ones I need for the day after checking DA.

Thinking of putting wind dope on or inside the scope cap since there are less factors throughout the range and won't take up as much space. Anyone see the need for having DA based wind? My wind card now from JBM is made from middle of the road conditions and has worked well so far. Will have to see if that fits first but may be a way to use the Tab Gear Dope/Sling thingy for come ups and have enough space. Just ideas at this point.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bravo jelrod! Braving the elements and getting with it.

You mentioned a scope cap dope sheet....JUST looked at these at SHOT...thought it was a neat idea.

http://ustacticalsupply.com/scopedope.aspx

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Practiced building positions, shooting, then break and rebuild today. Didn't shoot until I had the position solid no matter how long it took. The sitting position while resting the fore end on a cable was by far the toughest and finally had to use a combination of bean bags and ruck pack for body support. Gonna be practicing that one more at home before I go back. Will be a couple similar positions at the May match in VA so I want to be ready.

Conditions were brutal today and couldn't drive to the targets. Had to set up at 5 and 600 yards only because that was as far as I wanted to carry steel. Winds were steady at 17-20 mph with gusts well over 30. Really liking this 6.5x47 Berger 130 combo and the DA based cards I made have been spot on. DA at shooting time was 180. Hit the cold bore at 500 holding a little over 2 mil wind.

Now that I've tested the cards a few times I'm going to make them out and laminate, then attach the ones I need for the day after checking DA.

Thinking of putting wind dope on or inside the scope cap since there are less factors throughout the range and won't take up as much space. Anyone see the need for having DA based wind? My wind card now from JBM is made from middle of the road conditions and has worked well so far. Will have to see if that fits first but may be a way to use the Tab Gear Dope/Sling thingy for come ups and have enough space. Just ideas at this point.

Sounds like you had a productive day with some tough wind. Sitting position while resting on a cable?

DA based wind dope card? Wind is a guess, don't see the need. Would also discourage you from using a dope card on your sling and scope cap. Scope caps get in the way and brake easy in a match, I leave the caps in my vehicle when not shooting on a square range. You may find your sling will be in the way on some stages and would be better taking it off before shooting. I prefer just having a card attached to my scope with a cord, always right there. A few guys I shoot with use wrist band coaches, I'll get one eventually, maybe this one. http://www.impactdatabooks.com...-sniperwristband.htm

Shot a steel match today, we too had very tough wind, miss left, right, left.... Shot like poop with my 6x47. We had a 22lr side steel match, targets 55-195yds, shot better in that, might have won it? Precision 22's are a ton of fun. Interesting to see this rifle at the match. 6.5x47 shooting 140 Hybrids at 2750/26" barrel. The guy runs a local 1000yd Benchrest match, he said a 3-5" group normally wins it.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Running the numbers it definitely doesn't make sense no more than it changes with DA, while guessing. I ran a wind card from JBM a while back from middle of the road conditions and it has been fine. Good points on the caps and sling. Trying to consolidate all this data and keep what you need in sight can be tough. I have all of my DA based data in a pocket data book but will probably just do the cards needed off the scope like you now.

Here is my current wind card from JBM. Going to put this data with the drop and maybe do a front/back laminated card every 1000 DA.

Here is a pic from one of the obstacles at this match taken from their website. They seem to have used it at the last couple. I simulated it by attaching a cable between two benches. Really have to build a good base. Used a bag to support one leg and the pack for my elbows.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Will add just to clarify that I'll probably just put 10 and 15 mil data on my card from this wind card. It adds things in with JBM and needs consolidating for only what's needed. Also my drop cards go in 25 increments after 400.

Cool 6.5 x 47. Similar group sizes for here too.

posted Hide Post
Not sure how I would shoot that position? Looks challenging for sure. Not like the guy pictured, he brought a bunch of stuff to the line and not using it.

Depending on the height of the strap would shoot it a couple different ways using a cuff sling for both. Do you have a cuff sling?
I believe it's good to have as much bone on bone contact as possible. The guy pictured has zero bone on bone contact.

Left knee on the ground, right knee up. My butt on my left heel, right elbow on right knee. I've practice this position a lot with my 22lr using Stoney Point shooting sticks.

Or this way.

http://www.odcmp.org/0307/?page=USAMU_CASITTING

Here's my simple dope card. I'll make them from -1000 to 11,000 DA, 1000 increments. Will laminate them so two sided.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Someone make off with your parkas? Whats the GREEN stuff on the ground?

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Never shot with a cuff sling before. It does look like it might be a way to go there if the strap is not too high. Gonna keep practicing it and may have another sling in my future. Also, the match next month is prone only but I may get a chance to check out and get behind a few of their obstacles. Going to try to anyway.

Picked up a laminator while out today and made up some double sided cards. I'll try them out hanging from the scope and see how I like it. Going to get some eyelets for the punched holes and look for some sort of quick snap to change them out. If not I'll just use para cord. AE spits out a PBR and in this case was 238. Looks odd but didn't catch it until too late.

FN, not sure when that pic was taken just trying to show the obstacle. Yesterday had to paint the targets black to show up against the snow. That and the wind made me think I was in MT.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jelrod1,

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I really like the layout of those. Simple, and the colors allow your eyes to follow the columns easily.

*Dumb Question Alert*

Did you make an EXCEL specifically for this or how did you get the format?

Have you thought about using those split rings? (the ones that pivot from a rivet point?)

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
With Ballistic AE set to use JBM calculations and DA I made "favorites" out every thousand DA from -2000 to 8000. Then emailed them to myself. Also pulled up JBM and made out a wind only card. Pulled excel up and made the format, then copy/paste from the emails and JBM what was needed. If there had been a lot to do could have done a macro but this wasn't too bad. Print off, cutout, fold, then laminate.

Shoot me an email and I'll reply back to it with the spreadsheet attached if you want it to play with it.

Thinking of those brass eyelets right now and use a swivel snap to attach hanging from para cord. Will have to see what's at the hobby shop.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I would really appreciate that. I'm not the most computer savvy dude around.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
jelrod,

Nice to see someone else who is all OCD over a hobby! I thought I was the only one who had to have his gear EXACTLY the way it should be.

I'm currently cleaning up portable target stand brackets in the bead blaster. So I can prime and then paint...items that will most likely get hit anyway. But I hate to do a job half assed. I think You and I may be long lost Brothers? LOL.

FN in MT

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bro (Ha). Got most of the ideas from this thread and another though. Just don't think I need anymore info than that and if for some reason I do its in my book. Ended up using 25 increments throughout though because I've heard the matches in VA shoot playing cards on one stage somewhere between 2 and 300. I like the colors for the reason entropy pointed out, but am far more jealous of the numbers on offgrid's card. Wish my 7000 looked that good.