SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it. Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Got2hav1 points out an excellent reason NOT to try loading ammo in the MTR except at the range!

I didn’t focus on that, but I would be concerned about that and probably contact CZ. I assume it’s due to a very tight headspace and crushing the rim with the bolt, but it isn’t something I’d ever heard of before.

I thought at first that I must have struck the trigger but the last time it happened I know the trigger wasn't the issue. Only happened with the box of Center X. The trigger is light but not overly so. May need to adjust a bit on that trigger.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK, here is my cherry-picked best group of 5 with Wolf Match Target (Eley) and my new MTR, at 50 yards.
I had to celebrate Justice Thomas' birthday and his 2A decision by going to the range.

Norma TAC-22 did not give me groups as good as the Wolf.

This was an indoor range; using a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 5-25x50 at 20 power; with a Caldwell front bag, no rear bag.

For an old geezer who's a nervous Nelly and very little experience at precision rifle shooting, I was muttering "Holy sh-t!" shooting this group. My 10/22 with a Kidd barrel cannot shoot this well, I think; but to be fair I need to take the 10/22 back and do a direct comparison with the MTR. I will also at some point compare my 457 Lux with the MTR.

It takes more effort than expected to close the bolt, but I did not have any AD's. Also, the trigger is factory, doesn't feel terribly light but I haven't measured trigger pull. I have ordered a Yo Dave spring kit.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
I thought at first that I must have struck the trigger but the last time it happened I know the trigger wasn't the issue.

I am curious now. Was there a firing pin indentation on the case?

And my personal opinion about cherry-picked groups is like celebrating a hole in one in golf. If we understand that sometimes the stars align to cause a fantastic result and we don’t try to convince the ignorant with, “Look at this group; this is the gun you should buy,” so what? I have some groups that I look at from time to time that inspire me to try to replicate, and which remind me of why I enjoy the sport. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I was looking at picking up another bolt rifle myself after seeing the $250 Rebates on the Ranger Rifles. Anyone shoot one of these? After taxes and FFL fees I can buy Ranger for $550, but I also like the CZ MTR.

The Ranger 22 brings a rimfire rifle back to the Christensen Arms lineup. Built for precision the bolt-action platform features an aluminum receiver with a steel recoil lug insert, Christensen Arms carbon fiber tension barrel, and a carbon fiber composite rimfire stock. The rifle is also well equipped with standard sling studs, a 0 MOA picatinny rail, and a match grade Rem 700 style trigger. The Ranger 22 weighs in starting at 5.1 pounds and is backed by a Christensen Arms Sub-MOA at 50 Yards Guarantee.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That’s a lot of rifle features for that money. Mainly it’s very light but with that sub-MOA guarantee. No need to look at accessories like another stock or a rail.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I never looked at the casing. I'll just steer clear of the Center X. R50 shoots better anyway without any trouble. Nice group sj. I bet it gets better with more rounds through the tube.
Obviously I don't have a problem posting cherry picked groups either! Long as we don't pretend they all look like that. I shot quite a few targets last outing they were a lot of .7 and .8 and a few .6s.
Smile

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As human beings, we all experience variable capabilities from day to day, even within a day. We all have refrigerator trophy shots & groups. I'm no different, as I don't take photos of my really shit performances. But I try remember what went wrong and try to correct for them in the future.

For the golf reference, a hole in one is very cool. I've never accomplished this or seen it live. Tiger Woods and Jack Nickolas each had some. But they weren't the best in the world due to their holes in one. They were the best because they could play the whole game. Not just one lucky stoke from 150-ish yards, but consistent 2 or 3 strokes from 150-ish yards -- boatloads of holes, boatloads of courses, tournament after tournament, year after year.

I respect and applaud a person's 1/4 MOA (or whatever) personal best group. Hopefully those shooters produce more of them. But I really respect those who shoot accurately on a consistent basis. Say, maybe 3/4 MOA groups -- regardless of the day or conditions:
- That coldbore group just after breakfast.
- When the winds aren't favorable.
- In winter cold and summer heat.
- Near the end of the competition and the shooter is on or near the leader board.
- When last night's burrito supreme isn't acting so supremely....

Oh yeah, and ixnay hackneyed the saying "sub MOA all day long, when I do my part". Up there with the check is in the mail, and I won't...

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
New one in the stable today. CZ457 VPT. I have been looking for one of these. Carbon fiber Manners stock and 16.5" threaded Varmint barrel. Straight off the rack I shot my personal best group with it. No trigger adjustment (3.5#) Tac 22 the first 15 shots out of the bore below.

It shot Center X and Eley Match very well the best group was .385" OD for 5 rounds at 50 yards which is my personal best.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Bought this at auction… super excited to see if it groups!

——————-

J G ANSCHUTZ GMBH
.22 LR CAL, BOLT ACTION RIFLE W/SIMMONS 24X SCOPE

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I bet it will shoot great. I like it. Cool

More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Signified, that is a Flobert action. Note how far forward the bolt handle is in relation to the trigger. Bolt looks similar to a 64 action, do not know if the barrel is the same. Good shooting!

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Signified, that is a Flobert action. Note how far forward the bolt handle is in relation to the trigger. Bolt looks similar to a 64 action, do not know if the barrel is the same. Good shooting!

Thank you for that tidbit! Mucho appreciation Wink

What should I look for on the barrel?

When I actually have the rifle in my hands I’ll take more pictures or share more info.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The barrel should be the same and the script matches other Anschutz barrels. These guys know:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com...bert-actions.981913/

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thanks again!

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Q: “Can I shoot CCI Stingers or long-for-chambering Sub-Sonic ammo in my CZ?”
A: Our 22 LR rifles are built to tight tolerances for increased accuracy, and our chamber is what other manufacturers might refer to as a ‘Match’ chamber. The tight tolerances mean overly long cartridges may not fit, so Stingers and some large sub-sonic loads will be too long to allow the bolt to close with ease."

https://cz-usa.com/support/faq/

Likely, the MTR chamberings are even tighter than the other CZ's.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I did discover the issue I believe. Because the MTR chamber was so tight and the Center X was so difficult to chamber and lock the bolt down, the jarring caused the sear/hammer to fall. I discovered the issue when I changed back to the standard barrel. Rapped the buttstock with a dead blow hammer and the firing pin dishcarged. So I adjusted the trigger pull ( more sear contact). It was intially 10 oz but now adjusted to 1-1/2 pounds and passes the bump test.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up. It's always good to learn how things like that turn out.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
So I made a few changes to the 457 VPT over the weekend. First I pulled the bolt, disassembled, and polished the firing pin. Next I installed a Timney trigger adjusted to 12 ounces. Lastly I installed a Mueller 8-32 X 44 Target scope with sun shade. I was impresed with the Mueller scope especially for the money spent. (the only downside is it's made in China.) The Timney trigger made a huge difference, after struggling with the stock trigger even after adjusting I couldn't get it below 2 pounds. Love the set up, now more practice and refine the technique. Shot my best ARA target yet with Center X.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Keep those reports coming.Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Added another one to the stable. CZ457 Varmint in .22WMR. I am going to convert it to .22LR. I bought this one solely for the wood on it. I have 3 .22LR barrels already so easy switch out. Nicest wood I've had on a 457 model.