SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Ammo was Norma TAC-22.

I would be curious to see your results with the other ammo.
I don’t have any rigorous information about the Norma load, but as I recall it hasn’t performed very well from me in my limited experience with it, and as I recall I’ve seen similar complaints in the various 22 LR ammo tests I’ve seen online.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It looks like the only near-match grade ammo available to us in California. I have a small cache of match-grade .22 LR which I will compare with the TAC-22. BTW Tac-22 has some kind of grease on it that makes it hard to load into a 10/22 mag by hand.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will also be curious to see what improvement, if any, comes from the Appleseed training this weekend.

The hardest thing for me to adapt to was pinning the trigger to the rear after each shot...I really wanted to reset the trigger right away

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I put on a Long Range RIMFIRE match where shooters had 5 shots at each of 10 targets from 233 yards out to 368 yards. Of the 10 targets, 4 were between 310 and 368 yards, 5 were between 250 and 309 and the one remaining at 233 yards. Wind was light but switchy at 3-5 mph.

We had 6 shooters using: 2 Vudoos, 2 CZ 457s, 1 CZ 455 and 1 Savage. All rifles were stock.

Top two places went to the 457s, a Vudoo finished third, then the 455, the other Vudoo and finally the Savage. All of the shooters had the same relative ability so I can't attribute the final order of the rifles to one shooter being that much better than the others. Luck with the wind was a part of the final standings but the CZs are a good, affordable rifle that can hold their own (with the right ammunition) shooting steel at longer yardage.

BTW, the winner had 42 hits out of 50 shots and hit each target at least 4 times

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
SigMarine, wondering if the 457s were MTR or not. They have match chambers. I have one 457 Varmint , one 455 varmint and one 455 American and one 452 American. They do in fact make an accurate affordable rifle. I have only shot @ 50 yards, those guys got some real skills shooting out to 368 yards!

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
SigMarine, wondering if the 457s were MTR or not.

The CZs were MTRs and, as you said, have match chambers as do the Vudoos. I've seen the regular chambered 457 Varmints shoot just as well with the right ammunition. The match chambers can be a little tight and therefore fussy about ammunition. Many of the guys who shoot standard chambered 457s and 455s CZs in our regular RIMfIRE matches have found that Wolf Match Extra is the most accurate...but it doesn't work in the match chambers because they are too tight. The match chambers in the Vudoos and 457s do well with the SK Standard Plus and even better with the SK Rifle Match and the Long Range Match. Each rifle is different so there's no guarantee which will shoot best in a rifle.

CZs are definitely a rifle to consider when weighing cost vs performance and the one I recommend to new shooters.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
SigMarine, that match is mind-boggling to me. I don't see how .22 LR can hit anything at that kind of range.
I will say you've made me excited to try my CZ 457, although it's a Lux, not a Varmint.
I've ordered a Picatinny rail to mount a scope on it.
And I do have some Wolf Match ammo...hmm....

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is not "upper level" compared to some of the builds here, but I have a Volquartsen Classic, a Superlite, and an Open Sights model and they are night and day difference from the stock 10/22 I used to shoot.

For the classic, I put it in an AT-ONE from Boyd's with a basic 2-7 Vortex (looking to upgrade to a Leupold 2-7 soon) and preferred ammunition is some /old/ 1974 Rex made by S&B simply because I have so much of it (I bought a literal pallet of it during the Obama-era run on .22, not knowing what it was) and because it shoots well (similar to usncorpsman's groupings on paper, was able to handle the "Know Your Limits" targets at Blue Steel Ranch in San Jon up to the 1/4" target at 100y. The gun's up to it -- I'm not). I was really spoiled putting Midas+ through it, probably the best I've seen. Also likes CCI Green Tag quite a bit. Looking forward to taking it to an Appleseed.

For the Superlite and Iron Sights, I haven't shot them yet -- bought them for Steel Challenge and just haven't had the free time to run them out yet. Superlite is in the VQ skeletonized stock with a Vortex Razor and the Iron Sights is in a Hogue overmolded.

My range distances are limited, so the VQs suit me fine. I did have a chance to try out some Vudoo rigs with (I think) a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 at 300y. I thought it was kind of weird that they shot that far, but they are laser beams -- the guys I shot with apparently use them for extreme long range precision and as a trainer for .308 (it's somehow ballistically equivalent to a .308 at 1000y). Not my jam but impressive as hell.

In hindsight, I kind of wish I just had the Superlight and a CZ 457 in an AT-ONE each. Our rangemaster had one and the CZ 457 was easily the most fun to shoot out of the lot. Smile

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
SigMarine, wondering if the 457s were MTR or not.

The CZs were MTRs and, as you said, have match chambers as do the Vudoos. I've seen the regular chambered 457 Varmints shoot just as well with the right ammunition. The match chambers can be a little tight and therefore fussy about ammunition. Many of the guys who shoot standard chambered 457s and 455s CZs in our regular RIMfIRE matches have found that Wolf Match Extra is the most accurate...but it doesn't work in the match chambers because they are too tight. The match chambers in the Vudoos and 457s do well with the SK Standard Plus and even better with the SK Rifle Match and the Long Range Match. Each rifle is different so there's no guarantee which will shoot best in a rifle.

CZs are definitely a rifle to consider when weighing cost vs performance and the one I recommend to new shooters.

Agree with you on the CZs. Going to find some Wolf Match to try. So far, and I am still testing, one of my 455 Varmints loves RWS100 and the 457 Varmnint loves the old Federal Gold Champion rounds. I passed on a 457 MTR because I wasn't sure I could easily find ammo.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have seen many general favorable comments here about CZ rimfire rifles, but not the detailed comments about specific performance that this thread prompted. They have opened up a new perspective about the guns for me, so thanks and keep them coming. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ 457 with match chamber was shooting SK Long Range Match ammunition. 50 MOA scope base with a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56.

CZ 457 with match chamber was shooting SK Standard Plus ammunition. 30 MOA scope base with an auxiliary 20 MOA base and a Vortex Gen 2 PST 5-25x56

The Vudoo was shooting SK Rifle Match ammunition with a 40 MOA scope base and Vortex AMG 5-25x50

CZ 455 (regular chamber) shooting Wolf Extra under a 30 MOA scope base with an auxiliary 20 MOA base with a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56

I don’t have the details on the other Vudoo but the Savage was shooting RWS ammunition (don’t know what flavor) under a 40 MOA scope base and a Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27x56

All of these rifles can shoot 10-shot groups of less than 1 MOA at 50 yards; meaning 10 shots under ½”. But it’s been my experience that with most RIMFIRE ammunition, a rifle’s ability at 50 yards is not linear as one increases distances downrange

Hope this helps…

posted Hide Post
CZ 457 with match chamber was shooting SK Long Range Match ammunition. 50 MOA scope base with a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56.

CZ 457 with match chamber was shooting SK Standard Plus ammunition. 30 MOA scope base with an auxiliary 20 MOA base and a Vortex Gen 2 PST 5-25x56

The Vudoo was shooting SK Rifle Match ammunition with a 40 MOA scope base and Vortex AMG 5-25x50

CZ 455 (regular chamber) shooting Wolf Extra under a 30 MOA scope base with an auxiliary 20 MOA base with a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56

I don’t have the details on the other Vudoo but the Savage was shooting RWS ammunition (don’t know what flavor) under a 40 MOA scope base and a Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27x56

All of these rifles can shoot 10-shot groups of less than 1 MOA at 50 yards; meaning 10 shots under ½”. But it’s been my experience that with most RIMFIRE ammunition, a rifle’s ability at 50 yards is not linear as one increases target distances downrange

Hope this helps...

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have a question, particularly for SigMarine although for anyone with experience: two options from CZ that look promising are
1. The CZ Varmint MTR with walnut stock, match chamber, and 20.5 inch barrel
2. The CZ Varmint At-One with Boyds At-One stock, 24 inch barrel, apparently not a match chamber.

I also see that Lilja sells a stainless bull barrel for the 457 that includes head spacing for a match chamber, about $460. That would be one option of upgrading for those of use who already own a 457; although it would be cheaper to sell the existing 457 and buy the Varmint model--if one can find one.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: I just got a cantilever ring setup and an 11 mm dovetail to Picatinny rail converter so I can add a scope to my iron-sighted 457. The Tech sight peep sight I added just doesn't work for me, at least at an indoor range.

I'll put a big honking Vortex scope on it and see if I can get decent groups at 50 yards. Then I'll put the scope on my Kidd-barreled 10/22 and see if I can actually get 1 MOA groups at 50 yards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

posted Hide Post
quote:
.... two options from CZ that look promising are
1. The CZ Varmint MTR with walnut stock, match chamber, and 20.5 inch barrel
2. The CZ Varmint At-One with Boyds At-One stock, 24 inch barrel, apparently not a match chamber.

I also see that Lilja sells a stainless bull barrel for the 457 that includes head spacing for a match chamber, about $460. That would be one option of upgrading for those of use who already own a 457; although it would be cheaper to sell the existing 457 and buy the Varmint model--if one can find one.

Thoughts?

...a big honking Vortex scope on it and see if I can get decent groups at 50 yards. Then I'll put the scope on my Kidd-barreled 10/22 and see if I can actually get 1 MOA groups at 50 yards.

Sjtill...It's been my experience that the CZ 457 MTR with 20.5" barrel and match chamber would be the better option. Not to say that some with the regular chambers have not been as accurate, but the numbers indicate that your chances of getting a "shooter" are much better with the MTR. Again, some ammunition will not work with the CZ match chambers, like CCI Standard Velocity and some of the Wolf, but this could also occur in other manufacturers "match" chambers as well.

With RIMFIRE rifles, ammunition is the name of the game. Finding the brand (and lot) that shoots best can take time, but once found, makes all the difference in the world.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Horse's Rifle Room is even more expensive than the Pistol section.

I just ordered one of these from CZ-USA Firearms:

CZ Long Range Precision Rifle Review

They seem to have them in stock:

Abandon hope all who enter here

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Wow! It is getting harder and harder to ignore the CZ offerings in 22 LR. It was one thing to dismiss the thought of spending $2000 or more on a rifle like that, but for those prices and performance …. Smile

Thanks for all the discussion—I believe. Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Chris Parkin Shooting Sports: CZ Long Range Precision Rifle Review, Part 1

Chris Parkin (I was unfamiliar with him before) wants to marry his CZ LRPR.

From his review in Rifle Shooter Magazine (UK):
quote:
I personally like the LRP’s stock design; it is comfortable, with a slightly rear-weighted balance. The barrelled action and accompanying stock certainly convinced me to take my hat off to CZ. This is an exceptionally good gun, with attention paid to tiny details that deliver impressive results. CZ have simply raised the bar without excessive cost and have clearly observed market trends, listening to shooters, not just designers.

They have blended ergonomics with mechanics, looks and performance and I fell in love with this rifle. I won’t say it’s the best rifle I have ever used, but I will say it’s the first one in 10 years as a reviewer I couldn’t comprehend sending back, so bought it outright!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

posted Hide Post
quote:

Congratulations on your purchase; I do not think you will be disappointed.

Please give us a review when you get that "bad boy", details of the glass you put on it, what ammunition shoots best and thoughts about its accuracy/precision.

Semper Fi...

posted Hide Post
quote:

They seem to have them in stock:

Abandon hope all who enter here

Uh...how did you pay? That site has numerous indicators of being a scam website.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
Uh...how did you pay? That site has numerous indicators of being a scam website.

You're thinking that CZ-USA Firearms is a scam site?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post