SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it. Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I still luv plinking with my CZ452 Full stock - but grew weary of not being able to focus on sights and target together (59 years old here Roll Eyes)

So I got a NRL22 rig - CZ475 AT-One with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope.
Luv it!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That CZ looks nice in the Boyd At—One stock. I bought m 457 Lux for possible use at the Appleseed event; otherwise an MTR in Boyd stock would be great for benchrest shooting.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post

Here’s a quick photo of my new 10/22 build. So quick I didn’t wipe off the anti-seize from the forearm.
I have some Wolf Target Match, some Norma Match 22, and 8 bricks of Norma Tac-22 to try when I get home in a couple of days.

Advice from Kidd was interesting: I should shoot 40 or so rounds of “whatever I usually shoot” to “foul the barrel” to improve accuracy before testing the accuracy of the rifle with the new barrel. This is a Kidd lightweight barrel, they guarantee 1/2 inch accuracy at 50 yards.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Advice from Kidd was interesting: I should shoot 40 or so rounds of “whatever I usually shoot” to “foul the barrel” to improve accuracy before testing the accuracy of the rifle with the new barrel.

Although I’ve never seen the “40” rounds figure before, it’s similar to what I’ve seen others advise, that a barrel should be “seasoned” by firing multiple rounds before accuracy testing of a new type of 22 LR ammunition. I have been looking at many online accuracy tests of 22 LR ammo, and most shooters don’t do that. It’s understandable when “testing” multiple types of ammunition, but that plus other factors such as shooting in strong winds, using poorly designed targets, and using poor rests all make me realize what a waste of time most of them are. At the same time, though, it would be interesting to know if the “seasoning” procedure is really necessary or is just unsubstantiated gun lore.

Does Kidd recommend any particular ammunition?

And please keep us posted about the results you get. (I was hoping to see more of that in this thread. Smile )

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
This is a 5 shot 50 yard group shot today testing a RimX barrel. Two shots were used for a rough zero before shooting the test group. I test every 22 chambered for function and baseline performance. I’m not going to say they won’t settle in and get better after fouled more but a clean barrel will shoot. Clean is also predictable. I like predictable.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most new rifle barrels require some rounds down range before they reach full accuracy potential. In general, the number of required rounds decreases for barrels that are lapped and that have very smoothly cut chambers/throats. This is a break in process -- not seasoning -- it polishes the barrel's machining imperfections. This is why centerfire chambered rifles generally show a gradual increase in muzzle velocity for the first few dozen rounds.

Fouling a 22lr barrel is something different -- it's lining the bore with a given ammo's cocktail of bullet lube and powder residue. IIRC the rimfire book I have at home states a change in ammo generally coats 1 inch of barrel per round fired. So in theory, a 16" barrel needs 16 rounds fired after an ammo change before the new ammo shoots at its maximum potential. I've found the number of fouling rounds for ammo changes to be smaller, generally in the 5-10 rounds ballpark. Less when staying within the same ammo brand, more when switching brands.

There are also no absolutes as to whether a spotlessly clean, a fouled, or a really dirty 22lr barrel will shoot better. I prefer clean-ish barrels. I sometimes get WTF flyers in the first 5-round group of a cold clean bore, but accuracy settles after that. Of course, this could be cold-shooter flyers rather than cold-clean-bore flyers. With very few exceptions, rimfire guns shouldn't be dry fired, thus we shooters may need some live rounds to get the marksmanship fundamentals up to speed.

I don't see that Kidd recommends any specific brand or line of ammo. Most barrel makers talk in generalities, as there are differences in how any given barrel reacts with different ammo brands, ammo lines, and ammo production lot numbers. Kidd has a link on its website to a test done with 10/22 barrels, but the test was done in 2007. Some of the ammo tested back then is now off the market. The short list of accurate ammo for a quality barrel is the expensive match lines from Lapua, Eley, RWS, SK, and Wolf.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I keep some good lots of ammo on hand both Lapua and Eley. I can usually tell now in the first few shots if my work is done correctly. It’s nice to send the refrigerator targets with the barrels but selfishly the testing is for me to check my work. There’s a pattern of consistency when a known good chamber is put in a premium barrel blank with a good lot of premium ammo. I’ve been averaging testing 4-5 22 barrels a week. I have my preferences for sure but it’s been great to see this pattern come together.

I do like clean for the predictability reason but I’m not a clean freak. On my personal 40X I clean after every shooting session. That may be 50 or up to a couple hundred rounds. The goal for me is to stay ahead of any problems and keep consistent. There are people that say they never clean. I see problems stemming from that. As Fritz stated there certainly are no absolutes with it. I will say though I’ve seen a lot of damage done from improper cleaning. Buy quality cleaning equipment and learn how to use it.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
The goal for me is to stay ahead of any problems and keep consistent.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Although I have only a tiny fraction of the experience you do and there are many totally different factors involved, that has been the philosophy I adopted myself for my centerfire rifles, and thus far it seems to be working. There is of course much debate and differing opinions about bore cleaning, both for centerfire and 22 LR rifles. Even Vudoo doesn’t seem to be consistent, but at least one of their videos recommends regular cleaning. As a somewhat related example on the other hand, someone on the Sniper’s Hide site talks about the “good” copper that should be replenished after a centerfire bore is thoroughly cleaned, and I’ve seen some precision shooters say that they don’t clean except after several hundred rounds.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear from our SF rimfire experts about their lubrication recommendations. Grease vs. oil and where; specific lube recommendations for bolt group, springs, trigger group?

Dirt seems to be a major problem with .22 rimfire and oil can make that worse. The 10/22 bolt get slammed a lot, does that mean grease is needed as on a semi-auto pistol slide?

I'm looking for specific recommendations for the kind of high-end .22 we're discussing in this thread.

By the way I bought a drill guide to drill a hole in the back of the receiver to receive a rigid bore cleaning rod rather than rely on a Boresnake or cleaning through the muzzle. I see Ruger has incorporated this into the receiver on their Competition models. Any thoughts?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see Ruger has incorporated this into the receiver on their Competition models.

Seems like a clue to me.

It was several years ago that I first saw a jig to fit over the back of the receiver to drill the hole in the proper position. I don’t worry about cleaning the bore of my plinker 10/22, but if I did I’d just clean it from the muzzle. I am no fan of bore snakes even though care should be taken if necessary to clean with a rod from the muzzle.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I have several CZ bolt action .22s. This is the latest one. 455 Varmint in a Boyd stock bedded by the previous owner. Scope is a Clearidge 4.5-14 X 40 with medium D3 mounts. So far I have tested Tenex, RWS50 and 100. Still testing but so far the best 5 shot group was .293" center/center at 50 yards. I have some more action screws ordered and want experiment with torque. Going to start at 20 in. lbs and go up from there and record the results. Having a blast with it.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2750 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if its highend but I do have a Biathlon 7-2 KO. I like it but Ive been toying with the idea of building a 10/22.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I do have a Biathlon 7-2 KO.

Pictures—? Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I've got an Anschutz 64MPR with a Weaver T-24 mounted on it. It loves RWS subsonics. It's a benchrest gun. I bought it back in 2007 and shot in my club matches until I moved in 2012. I was 1 x away from a perfect score. It's a great shooter.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to hear from our SF rimfire experts about their lubrication recommendations. Grease vs. oil and where; specific lube recommendations for bolt group, springs, trigger group?

Dirt seems to be a major problem with .22 rimfire and oil can make that worse. The 10/22 bolt get slammed a lot, does that mean grease is needed as on a semi-auto pistol slide?

I'm looking for specific recommendations for the kind of high-end .22 we're discussing in this thread.

By the way I bought a drill guide to drill a hole in the back of the receiver to receive a rigid bore cleaning rod rather than rely on a Boresnake or cleaning through the muzzle. I see Ruger has incorporated this into the receiver on their Competition models. Any thoughts?

For bolts 2 drops of Benchrite super bolt lube from benchrite.com, for all caliber bolt guns. For triggers lighter fluid for charcoal cleans and lubes. Sounds crazy but it works.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Vudoo 22lr.
Finding ammo has been hit or miss. I am lucky enough to live about 20 minutes from Champion Choice. Buying a case of ammo without being able to test is not one of my favorite things.

Being able to pop into CC and get a few sample lots, run to the range and give it a try. Pick out the best lot and go buy a case is fine.

Buying random cases just because they are available sucks.
Although I have had some good luck lately.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Not meant to be a target gun, but top-tier nonetheless. Nodak NDS22 receiver, Gemtech Mist barrel, Kidd trigger and bolt, Samson B-TM stock (inletted by me to fit the 0.925" needed) and Nodak sights. This was meant to be an integrally suppressed backwoods plinker so irons only but easy enough to pop an optic on.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

Kidd Supergrade, bought it maybe 7-8 years ago. Got an identical one in blue for my son. Leupold VX2 3-9 rimfire scope with A.O.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16662 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I took my new build to the range to test yesterday.
The only original Ruger part is the receiver.
Kidd lightweight barrel, bolt, bolt handle, springs, Timney trigger, Magpul Hunter X-22 stock, ACOG scope.

It's a little better than the 1" at 25 yard groups I had before the new barrel, but not that much:

Ammo was Norma TAC-22. I have some Wolf and Norma match ammo but haven't used it yet. Next time I will use the match ammo and just do 5-round groups. If I want to test the barrel rather than my shooting skill I will also mount a higher power scope, and shoot just 50 yards to see if I can match the Kidd 1/2 inch guarantee.

I will also be curious to see what improvement, if any, comes from the Appleseed training this weekend. I was shooting off a Caldwell bag on a regular shooting bench for this test.

Here's a photo of the build after barrel install: