SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it. Login/Join 
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I have a Vudoo that resides in a Manners PRS 1 and topped with a NF 7-35 ATACR. I've shot steel out to 450 yards with it. I can only imagine that the bullet is coming in like a mortar shell on the target at that distance. It's crazy accurate and tons of fun shooting suppressed.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't have any of the ultra-spiffy brands of rifles mentioned here - I've never even seen a Vudu, or however it's spelled, but I have three older .22cal rifles in my collection of seven that might qualify as upper-level rifles. Not for the cost, but for the results. I can't post images here, mainly because my Japanese computing equipment does not use MS DOS, but something else inscrutable, so I'll link you to a Youtube video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXPYYh1yuw

This old Anschutz Model 1409 was literally just ONE minute away from being put in the trash/scrap pile of old rifles making way for a couple of new ones in our club here in UK. It was, as you can read in the accompanying blurb, found in the back of a damp old gun safe that I never knew existed. It was covered with a light layer of surface rust on every exposed metal surface, and the butt plate was 'mouldy' with white alloy erosion. No sights, either. I could not believe that any gun in this condition would shoot, but I pushed the barrel through, getting a 12" long oily dust bunny out, revealing a like new bore. Good so far. I put my spare set of Walther sights on it and took it to the firing point, and using five rounds of SK match I shot a single slightly raggedy hole at 25m. I can email a pic anybody interested. The club secretary and I struck a deal - £25 and it was mine - at that time, around $45.

Luckily for me - this is UK remember - I had applied for, and obtained authorisation for another .22 rifle a short while earlier, and was able to take the poor orphan home with me that night.

Using an Anschutz king bolt torque wrench to make sure of resetting it correctively, I stripped all the non-wooden bits off, revealing pristine bluing where the stock had protected it. How to clean up the rust is the subject for another post, if anyone has been reading thus far and is still interested.

The stock was an easy job, but still took me three weeks of hand refinishing, and the butt-plate was revived thank to a tub of 'Mother's metal polish' and much elbow grease.

It's NOT a Vudu, of course, but it still puts a box of ammunition into less than 3/4" at 100m - outdoors.

The scope you see in the video is an old Tasco T707 from the late '60's - a x16. That has an interesting back-story too, something I owe to a reader here in SIG forum.

The barrel harmoniser is an ongoing, and so far interesting, experiment that really does seem to work, at least with the three different brands of ammunition I shoot. If I told you that it shoots something else better than Tenex, you might not believe me, but it's true.

Apologies for the overly long post. Perhaps if I'd invested in a Western system computer it might have been a lot shorter.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
tacfoley, I assume it’s still all right for me to post your photos of the rifle and groups that you sent me some time ago. (Very nice gun and results, BTW.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
tacfoley, I assume it’s still all right for me to post your photos of the rifle and groups that you sent me some time ago. (Very nice gun and results, BTW.)

Many thanks, Sir!!! Much obliged to you!!

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You are welcome, tac, and I encourage everyone else to post groups, even if it’s just one from the refrigerator.* And please let us know what ammunition you used.

* “Refrigerator group”: The one you cut out from the rest and stuck on your refrigerator to admire from time to time. Mine aren’t on the refrigerator, but rather on a pegboard panel in my work room. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My CZ 457 Varmint MTR is in CA 10-day jail. Man, it is HEAVY!

Posts: 18040 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
My CZ 457 Varmint MTR is in CA 10-day jail.

Keep us posted. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 457 AT One and it's a shooter. I have not worked out all the ammo preferences yet but so far it likes Norma Tac and SK match really well. I have had custom built guns that did not shoot as well as it does.

Posts: 8 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: May 15, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deadcenter1:
I have a CZ 457 AT One and it's a shooter.

Pictures—?
And welcome to the forum. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are welcome, tac, and I encourage everyone else to post groups, even if it’s just one from the refrigerator.* And please let us know what ammunition you used.

* “Refrigerator group”: The one you cut out from the rest and stuck on your refrigerator to admire from time to time. Mine aren’t on the refrigerator, but rather on a pegboard panel in my work room. Wink

Refrigerator groups:

It was off the bench. My arm was rested from wrist back. Wrist forward was unsupported. Range 25yds.

Here is another. 50yd offhand

Oh. You meant rifle refrigerator groups. Sorry. Smile

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6310 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
All threads evolve over time, and although this is the long gun section, there’s nothing wrong with posting about other accurate (excuse me, “precise”) guns. Smile

Nice shooting, BTW.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Took the Anschutz 1416HB out today. Not ideal shooting conditions for sure. The wind was gusting between 10-20 from SW. Beautiful day just really windy. Shot some SK Standard Plus, SK Rifle Match, CCI Standard V, and RWS Rifle Match. The best group came with SK STD Plus. Still trying to learn technique from the bench as well. Had fun and look forward to some more range time. Cherry picked the best group 50 yds. 5 rounds. .410 OD/.246 CC.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2746 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nice group; nice gun! Smile

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Couldn't resist this one when I had the chance to buy another 1416HB recently. This one from 2013. Hope to get to the range later this week to try it out and see which one is better. Has nice stock and bluing with just a couple of small nicks in the stock.

Posts: 2746 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for a CZ Varmint MTR, they were scarce as hens' teeth.
I just got a notice from Hinterland Outfitters that they have one in stock:

Hinterland link

Posts: 18040 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I had a very good no wind day to shoot today. Loaded up the CZ455 because I have a new scope to try. Optika5 6 X 20 50mm. Mounted in medium D3 rings. It's a pretty nice scope and I will keep it with this rifle, but I don't think it is 150 dollars better than the Clearidge I was using. It may be a tiny bit brighter but again not that much.

I went through a progression of ammo Tac22, RWS Target, R50, and Center X. Center X was pretty good but so far R50 has performed better than anything else in this barrel (MTR). Center X I could barely get the bolt closed and locked down. Very tight , so tight in fact I had two or three discharges just locking the bolt down. I did notice the groups all got better the longer I shot. The best cherry picked group was this one and it was near the end of my session. Distance was 50 yards and 5 shots. I hope to have this moved to a PDC chassis soon. It's been on order now for about four weeks.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Cherry picked or not, that's an inspiring group. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cherry picked or not, that's an inspiring group. Smile

Thanks Sigfreund. Once the barrel gets some seasoning (brand new MTR) I believe it will be a good one. The nut behind the trigger will likely be the holdup!

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've been down with COVID, then my wife got it, so I've been out of it for two weeks.
I did mount a scope to the new MTR, but have not yet had it to the range.
Got2hav1 points out an excellent reason NOT to try loading ammo in the MTR except at the range!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Got2hav1 points out an excellent reason NOT to try loading ammo in the MTR except at the range!

I didn’t focus on that, but I would be concerned about that and probably contact CZ. I assume it’s due to a very tight headspace and crushing the rim with the bolt, but it isn’t something I’d ever heard of before.

6.4/93.6

— Plato