SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have an upper level 22 LR rifle? Please tell us about it. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I started this thread as a question about Vudoo Gun Works 22 LR rifles, but I decided to revise and expand it in hopes that others who have what they consider to be high quality guns would chime in. I have seen many posts that mention favorites and recommend purchases, but few that discuss performance specifics.

Please tell us about your rifles chambered for 22 Long Rifle:
Make; model; preferred ammunition; optics; what level of precision you get; anything else?

============

The original post:
There are many YouTube reviews of [Vudoo Gun Works rifles], but I’m curious whether any of the members own one, and what they think of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A free people ought not
only to be armed, but disciplined
Picture of prpratt
posted Hide Post
I have one in a Legacy AI chasis. It is phenomenal in every way, but you will pay to play. I made the mistake of adding it all up and scope, scope mount, bipod, I have exactly 7 cents more in to this rifle than I do my real AI in 260 Rem.

If I was going to get serious about competing in 22 events I would send it off to Lapua for ammo lot testing and that will drive the costs up even further.

Posts: 360 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Heard about them, never seen one. Not a rifle your LGS would have on display. I have experience buying and shooting rifles from Kidd and Anschutz (my son owns one of each), and my son tells me that Vudoo is out to eat Anschutz's lunch.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prpratt:
you will pay to play

Yes, that’s clear. Smile

I hate to use the “N” word (“need”) when it comes to my gun purchases, but even though I could afford a Vudoo, the lack of any practical use what is keeping me from seriously considering one—not to mention a suitable optic. My question is nevertheless a serious one because my thinking on the issue could possibly change and the more information I could get about the guns, the better. Very often people who purchase things like that can’t bear to admit anything bad, especially if they go to the trouble of producing a video review.

In any event, if there is a 22LR rifle that is more highly regarded by more people, I’m not aware of it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
In any event, if there is a 22LR rifle that is more highly regarded by more people, I’m not aware of it.

Remington 40X repeater, built by jelrod1.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Looking at many different rifles to scratch a precision 22 itch and this would go straight to the top with the Kidd Supergrade I’ve been considering. Also thinking about a Bergara 22 trainer and a CZ 457 VPT MTR.

Several choices now…thanks Sigfreund!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I know that a few members here have upper tier 22 LR rifles, but I haven’t see a lot of discussion of their use. Mine is up a step or two because of the Lilja barrel, and in looking at reviews of many other guns its performance is nothing to be depressed about. But its limits from the performance standpoint (as I understand it) and from the standpoint of aftermarket upgrade options are due to its having a Ruger 77/22 action. It would be interesting to see what other members have, how they use them, and what performance they expect and get.

Hmm …. I guess I’ll change the title of this thread.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Don’t have one yet, but would like the Vudoo rifle, have heard it’s one of the most accurate. Next would be a Bergara , just haven’t made up my mind to order one yet.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I shoot rimfire benchrest, matches with relays at 100 and at 50yards. Often 2 rifles and 2 different ammos are used by me for optimum accuracy at each distance. Eley Match and Lapua Midas Plus are used in competition. SK Standard plus is the most accurate inexpensive ammo I have used, but only to practice. My preferred optic is the NF 15-55 Competition model. As a static shooter, scope adjustments are minimal. At 100 yards a stock 1959 40x with Eley is best for me and at 50 yards a Flash Turbo in a Bill Pippen stock shooting Midas works best.
This game is all about the ammo, you shoot what you buy. In centerfire, you handload to maximize the guns potential.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started shooting nrl22 and silhouette a couple years ago. I wasn’t sure I was going to enjoy it as much as I do, so started with a very basic inexpensive rifle. ( savage mark II)
A friend bought a Kidd. Shooting them side by side I find if I pour every last ounce of concentration and effort into shooting the savage, sub 1/2 inch 10 shot groups happen, but due to the lack of refinement and ergonomics on the savage, it wears me out after just a few groups.
Trying my friends Kidd, the same results without the strain and focus were very easily achieved
I ended up getting a Kidd.
I did find the Kidd doesn’t like eley contact at all, which unfortunately is also the ammo I have the most of. As well all know, finding even match or target grade ammo these days is difficult ( unlike past shortages which did not seem to affect match ammo much if at all)

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Here are a few 40Xs with repeater conversion.

I really like the 40Xs. The clearances just work and parts are still somewhat readily available. I also do a lot of RimX barrels and this year a ton of Vudoo barrels. Chris winning the NRL and the PRS National Championships with a Vudoo I put a Krieger on helped that. Those three are my most experience 22-wise. If you have any specific questions just let me know. Obviously there are pluses and minuses to all three and 22s can be finicky to set up correctly so care has to be taken.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Thank you. As I say, I can’t seriously think about acquiring a rifle like that now, but my question isn’t just idle curiosity because things may change and I’d like to avoid an uninformed impulsive decision if it comes to that.

I have noticed that although it’s very expensive (and will probably remain that way), high quality 22 LR match ammunition is available from various sources these days. Some types seem to sell out quickly, so it’s necessary to monitor things, but I’ve even seen it at the gun store I frequent.

As always, I appreciate all the replies and comments.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
My first .22LR rifle was a lefty CZ 452. It's not a benchrest gun but it can put an entire box of Wolf Match into 1" at 50 yards if you barely try. My ex wife tried it when we were married and said it was "too easy"

My stupid build is a Tac Sol X-ring receiver and fluted barrel with a Volquartsen full trigger housing and a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x Airgun Scope. Just transferred it into a Magpul 10/22 Hunter stock and need to try it out.

Probably won't be as accurate as I want, but it's damn light.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hamden106:

From my rifle days. Long ago

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
From my rifle days.

Ooh, nice. Make/model?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
From my rifle days.

Ooh, nice. Make/model?
I believe that has a Anschutz 54 barreled action and sights. Could be the whole rifle is Anschutz. I've had 2 64 Match models. More to my weight class as I find the older I get, even my now gone 4oXR is just too heavy for anything but prone. When I finish getting old, I'd love to have a BR50 from Anschutz.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Guess my battery included 2 Anschutz 64 Match rifles, 1 Remington 40XR, 1 Remington 540 XR which I used to out shoot sporter rifles wearing huge optics with, 1 US Remington 541X, 2 US Harrington & Richardson M12s, and the .22 rifle most dear to me, Springfield 1922 M2. Also had a few hunting .22 rifles. BTW, I have read shooters who practiced with the US M12 said it is a more accurate rifle than the Winchester 52. The M12 again is beyond my weight limit for position shooting.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an all KIDD rifle except for the stock which is made by Boyd. The Scope is a SWFA fixed 10x that will focus down to 10m. The gun is very accurate with Wolf Match. It is not the most expensive, but will hold its own with my friends much more expensive Anschutz 22 bolt guns.

This is a 20 shot group at 50 yds.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Oh boy another high-end .22 thread!

I am waiting on a few things to put together a 10/22 with original receiver but Kidd lightweight barrel, Kidd bolt, bolt handle and springs, and a Timney trigger.
This project just sort of grew from original intent to improve accuracy for an Appleseed shoot coming up.

Shooting it yesterday with original barrel and bolt, with ACOG on top at 25 yards (not using proper front bag) to sight it in, groups were about 1 inch at 25 yards.
That was with Fed Match ammo.
I look forward to attaching the Kidd barrel and bolt; I will try some Wolf Match ammo also.

There's no time to add a Kidd receiver before the Appleseed event in 2 weeks (10-day wait, remember?).

Also: This is exactly the hour my cursed 10-day CA wait is over, and I am heading out to pick up a CZ 457 Lux, so will have that to compare with the Kidd-enhanced 10/22.

Will try to post pix when I have some comparisons--I can't imagine seeing one hole as in OP's post.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hamden106:

From my rifle days. Long ago

That’s a beauty! I still have my Winchester 52B from my college days. It was my birthday present at 16.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post